Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 22 Feb 18, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post

Newbie help please

Hello, I've started my planning but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed and wonder if anyone could offer some advice.
We arrive at CBR on a Wednesday afternoon in August and so far I've planned MK on that afternoon and (for as long as we can stay awake) Thursday too.
Thinking about Epcot on Friday (for no other reason than its our closest park) but not sure what to do at the weekend, surely everywhere will be crazy busy? I was thinking a water park on the Saturday as we'll probably be shattered but I'm guessing that'll be packed?
Should we do a water park on the Friday then HS/Epcot at the weekend? we are early risers thanks to our 8 year old so planning to make use of Magic hours and then head back to hotel if needed in the afternoon.
Thank you for any advice you can offer, I feel like I've ground to a halt and not sure what to do
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Hello and welcome to the Dibb. Bottom line is it will be pretty busy everywhere so you’re best applying logic to this. Jet lag will happen which means your first one to four days ( we all take it differently, lasts three days for me) you’ll be up early. Utilise it. Choose on property parks with EMH and beat the crowds and long lines. First full day we are always awake by 5am latest and ready to drop by 4pm. I wake up early for the first three days. Waterparks attract lots of locals in the summer so are busiest at the weekends. Avoid. Arrival day you will do well to enjoy any park time at all. Probably best to unpack, get your resort bearings and have a swim and a bite to eat. Other days don’t hit an EMH Park unless you are using the EMH. That’s just giving yourself a load of early risers to get in front of you. When thinking about your arrival time beat in mind once you land you may or may not be held on the plane before you can get off. Then you may sail through immigration or may take over an hour. Then you’ve got to get your luggage, navigate the airport and get to your resort. Best case scenario you’ve travelled all day and it’s early evening when you get your room. Over planning that first evening can lead to some collateral damage in my experience. I’d definitely hit Magic Kingdom for the first day of a first trip and once you’ve all had enough hit the pool. I’d also plan a second rope drop park day when you’re all still waking up early. I wouldn’t not do a water park on a Saturday but I’d arrive for opening or not until 4pm.
Old 22 Feb 18, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

I wouldn’t plan in a park for the day you arrive, especially if you have children with you. By the time you’ve got off the plane, got through immigration, got your cases, got to the hotel, checked in and got your stuff to your room it could be quite late depending on what time in the afternoon you land. We landed last year around 2pm and arrived at the hotel room about 5pm. It is also exhausting too, it’s a really long travel day. As for days to go the parks, if you’re staying onsite then you could plan in a few days to make the most of emh. Have a look at the busy day guide too to give you a good idea of what days to plan in. Don’t forget you can always change plans when you’re there depending on how you feel.
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post

Thank you so much both of you, you've really helped, thinking about it I realise just how tired we're going to be when we arrive so as you say we'll ultilise jet lag and emh and hit the parks, leaving the water parks until the next week.
Old 23 Feb 18, 12:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Kidd McFluff
slightly serious Dibber

Hello and welcome!

First things first... It's almost impossible not to enjoy yourselves at the wonderful world of Disney. Whatever you end up doing you'll have a great time. There are some things to consider about your trip...

Have you got the DDP? If so you should be able to book your restaurants now. Planning a schedule and booking your meals in advance makes life so much easier. (Especially with children). You can plan parks and ADR's (dining reservations). This will avoid the danger of dithering at meals times and having to wait ages for tables at your choice of restaurant.

Use Jet Lag to your advantage. You'll be knackered when you arrive so perhaps a park on day 1 is pushing it with an 8 yr old. Get up early and hit the parks. You'll be able to book your fast pass rides 60 days out so make sure you know which parks you want to go to and what you want to ride on by then. (loads of places on the dibb and on disneytouristblog.com to give you advice on the best rides etc.)

Don't try to do too much. You'll be wanting to relax and enjoy a bit of pool time, crazy golf, resort exploring etc. No point riding every last thing in WDW if you need a week to recuperate when you get home. When you get tired and grumpy, get back to your hotel and chill out, have a nap, you'll feel better for it.

You can plan to the finest detail or go with the flow (most go for something in between). I'm sure you'll be fine. You can always go back in 2019 to do it all again!

We are heading out to OKW in August too. See you there!
Kidd McFluff is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 18, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Jaspercat10
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We always do two park days followed by a water park day initially so that’s your 6 parks initially covered for 6 days then we go with the flow a bit depending on if we are going to universal etc.. and we sort of repeat the pattern again but usually going later into the parks so we see all the evening shows. How long are you there for? Do you want to visit anywhere else? Have you got the dining plan ?
Most of all don’t worry it is busy but you will be having such a fabulous time with your family it is part of the atmosphere 😁
Old 23 Feb 18, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
WillSa6
slightly serious Dibber

Your arrival day, once you've got to your room and unpacked, if you felt up to it, you could get the Disney bus to Disney Springs for your dinner. Personally I would just unpack, and explore CBR. It's a lovely resort, we stayed there in July last year in a pirate room in Trinidad South.

The new QS restaurant in Trinidad South will be open by then, so you could have your dinner there, or have the buffet at the food tent, as I don't think Old Port Royale will be finished until the autumn. Have some pool time, the main pool is fab or just relax at the quiet pool at your village.

Your first morning you will be wide awake at the crack of dawn, so make the most of waking early and get to the park for rope drop or EMH.

Enjoy, you will have a fabulous time.
WillSa6 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 18, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post

oh thank you so much everyone, it's really put my mind at rest.
We are staying for two weeks and have QSD so apart from BOG (which I've managed to book today woooohoooooo! ) we are just going to try the amazing food on offer wherever we are, like the idea of Disney springs on our first evening as my son loves pizza so we could try Blaze, and I know that CBR always has things going on so I'm going to relax and just enjoy the planning.
Lovely group, thank you for your quick replies x