Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 19 Feb 18, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Mia1
VIP Dibber

Mia1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Advice from anyone thats been at christmas time.

We always go in August, usually the last two weeks, however my mum will be turning 60 in 4 years time (I know its a while off but just getting an idea) and I wondered what it was like Christmas time. Thinking about weather, crowd levels, if its better onsite or offsite? We usually stay onsite when going in August but just getting ideas of what might be best for us.

She's a huge Disney and Christmas fan & she always comes with us when we go. I didn't think she'd want to be away for Christmas but she has said this is what she would really like to do. So any helpful advice for this time of year would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age and dreams are forever"
Mia1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 18, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Christmas itself is manic, one of the few days in the year where MK reaches capacity crowds. And the crowds stay right through New Year and into the first weekend of January when the marathon is on.

But if you have flexibility on when to go, earlier in the month is usually much quieter (although busier than it used to be, as is true of all quiet times!) and all of the Christmas decorations/events will be in full swing so you won't miss anything compared to the day itself. Although the Pop Warner cheer comps are on the first week which can bring the teen girl groups out into the parks, assuming they'll continue to be hosted on property.

Pretty much all of December won't qualify for any offers though, so you'll be paying full price and an inflated one at that. Some earlier December dates are available for the free nights offer, but the entire month is exempt from free dining.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 18, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
stink08
Very Serious Dibber

Christmas is amazing, busy but if you plan and use your fp wisely its doable, weather wise we have been 2012, 2014 and 2016 and have had great weather but i know some years have been cold, still a lot better than the uk though, we usually do a villa, but if you stay on site at least you get emh.
Old 19 Feb 18, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Tammerz23
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by loldis View Post
Pretty much all of December won't qualify for any offers though, so you'll be paying full price and an inflated one at that. Some earlier December dates are available for the free nights offer, but the entire month is exempt from free dining.
If you do decide to do this offers are valid right up until the 30th November for arrivals - were flying in then so we can get free dining for the duration of our 2 week stay 😁
Tammerz23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 18, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
dvc
Imagineer

dvc's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We did Christmas 2 years ago for DD's 18th.
We stayed on site, booked Christmas Day lunch at Raglan Road and it was superb. Turkey and all the trimmings was available.
The parks became very busy from a couple of days before Christmas but with good use of FP we managed very well. We didn't go into a park on Christmas Day morning we went in the pool instead. We were lucky to get the hotest weather for years 84degrees or more every day!
We went to EPCOT in the afternoon and stayed for the fireworks. It was amazing.
We did find that discounts were suspended for a few days in shops and restaurants so if you're dvc or annual pass etc dont rely on them.
Not sure we'd do it again but it was certainly an experience!
dvc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 18, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
lme30005
Apprentice Imagineer

We have just been and stayed in a villa so it felt a bit more homely over Xmas, with a lovely tree etc. We were very lucky with the weather - it was warming up as we got there, stayed in the high 70s, then started getting cold the day we left.

We didn't do many parks but the best advice is always to get there first thing. We went to Seaworld on Xmas day, got there just after opening, had a nice relaxed morning and left at lunchtime. Went to Disney Springs for tea and it was was absolutely heaving, a nightmare to park and took ages to battle through the crowds to the Rainforest Cafe.

We also made sure to go shopping and do other activities in the morning and just chilled by the pool in the afternoon when it was warmest.
lme30005 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 18, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
onetoescape
Excited about Disney

Crowds are a bit nuts but manageable with the right planning. For the weather think British Summer you could have anything from 20c + days and sunny to 6c cloudy and cool.
onetoescape is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 18, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

I’ve done the two weeks around Christmas. We flew home on NYE. Christmas week was ridiculously busy. I’ve been in August and at Easter (and May and February) but this was a whole new level even than Easter. I hated it personally but am glad we saw all the Christmas stuff once. It was also freezing for six of the days. Coat, hat and gloves weather. We managed the crowds by been the first in the parks every day. We were exhausted when we got home. I’d never do it again due to crowds and cold weather.
scoobydooby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 18, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post

We just did Christmas in Orlando and LOVED it! So much so we have promised ourselves a Florida Christmas every second year (finances permitting!) We were a family of mum and dad and DD (20) and DS (9) and traveled 13th Dec - 29th Dec 2017
We stayed offsite in a lovely Dibb Villa at Highlands Reserve and we had a car...BUT the only Disney we did was the MVMCP. For us though this is the only thing that will be dropped from the itinerary next time - it just wasn't for us anymore (we have done Disney before February time and in the Summer)... we didn't even stay for the fireworks! It was sooooo busy, to be expected as it was sold out but it just lacked the old Disney sparkle for us,folk just seemed so self absorbed and oblivious to others around them and the amount of disability scooters ? ! My 9 year old son actually asked to leave!
We covered Universal and Islands of Adventure plus a wonderful day at Volcano Bay where I can honestly say it was dead,I can't quite believe looking back at our holiday snaps just how quiet it was!
We are NOT early risers and my lot had made me promise this trip would not be planned to within an inch of my life so I was apprehensive about 'missing out' but I can honestly say that crowds/queuing were never an issue for us.
We did Seaworld on Christmas Eve which was fabulous - I booked Dine with Shamu for lunchtime which was a great idea as now you get a little private show after the lunch in the arena rather than during the food.The nighttime was very busy but it was Christmas Eve! Walking around with hot chocolates in the fake snow with the Christmas music playing and although the amazing decorations was just ace.
Christmas Day we had tickets for Discovery Cove ... we didn't pitch up until about 9 - it was Christmas Day after all but again another brilliant day , they have a capacity anyway so I guess it never really feels busy here. We stayed until turfing out time and I had to literally drag my kids out of the Sting Ray pool. I read a lot about this being cold even in Summer so was a little concerned with it being December but we wore rash vests under our suits and we were fine! my 2 never mentioned that they were cold.
We also did Aquatica,Busch Gardens and Wild Florida with an air boat ride.We also managed a Basket Ball game at the Amway Centre and a trip to Clearwater Beach - we never saw a drop of rain,or real snow (until we landed in Manchester obviously! ) and it really was an amazing trip. Maybe we were really lucky with the days we chose but I will recommend Florida at Christmas to anyone who will listen :-)
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 18, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Northtim
Excited about Disney

We went this last Christmas, flew out 23/12 and came back 7/1 (or should have done, indirect via New York didn't happen due to snow there but thats another story!)

It was our first trip to Florida and the parks so nothing else to compare it to but we LOVED IT! Christmas Eve was our first park day in a sunny and not busy MK, and was amazing. We stayed offsite in a Villa in Windsor Hills. The parks were busy but manageable, Disney great with careful FP planning. Universal was a case of get there early and do as much as possible first thing, we found the queues too much after lunch.

We were unlucky with the weather, it went VERY cold just before New Year, frost on ground and lots of layers needed. We are from Yorkshire so just wrapped up and got on with it. Being first time visitors probably helped and I would say we spent more time in the parks with the cold weather as it meant we scrapped other planned activities like the water parks and a trip to the coast. I do think if we had been before the weather may have been more of a downer but apparently it is not usually either that cold or as long lasting.

We thought it was all great, really enjoyed the parks decorated for Christmas and the Christmas parades. BBQ and swimming in our Villa pool on Christmas day was very different.

We are going back to Florida in the summer, loved it there so much. We do feel we did enough of the parks so are on cheap flights to Miami in August and touring round the coast with a few days in Orlando near the end where we may visit Volcano Bay as we were sad to miss that.

I'd recommend a Christmas visit. If it goes cold it could be disappointing and for me leaves little to do if you don't have the parks (but I am not a keen shopper!). The parks, especially Disney ones looked great with the Christmas Decorations Up.
Northtim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List