Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 19 Feb 18, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellesdream
slightly serious Dibber

August 2019

So we have been back from our first holiday to Disney for less than 4 months and the whole time we have been looking at returning!

We have 2 children - DD is starting secondary school in September which means we are really restricted this time, also added pressure that we want to go for 3 weeks not 2 so we have more time!

We are looking at booking for August 2019 - the last 3 weeks possibly going into the first couple of September days...

Now I know that the weather is HOT in August and that it will be a lot busier than end of October but is it actually awful? Can you manage the days walking round? a part of having 3 weeks there would mean more pool time but I am concerned that we will struggle with the heat!

One more worry I have is that Star Wars will be opening in the Summer 2019 which will make Disney even worse. do we have an idea of when it will be open and? I am assuming the queues will be as bad or worse than Pandora which makes me worry about whether it would be worth going or not?

Any and all advise welcome! I am desperate to go back but slightly worried about going and it being too hot/busy and we would not enjoy it.
Bellesdream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 18, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
wearegoingtowdw
Getting Excited

Mobile

Hello,

We were there last August, and are desperate to return.
August is hot and humid, but we all (13yr old, hubby and myself) found the heat ok. Just keep nipping into the shops for some air con therapy. The rain will come most afternoons for a very short while, embrace it as it’s cooling!
We are looking at returning and it would be in August again.
The parks are busy, but not overly busy, with the exception of Pandora.
3 weeks sounds amazing. Go for it!
wearegoingtowdw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 18, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Mightyfraz
Getting Excited

We've been in August and from my experience it's quieter towards the end of August than at the start. The weather was hot in 2015 but had a lot of rain too 😞 We went to the parks in the morning and then headed back for a chill in the afternoon at the height of the heat which helped. Can't wait for Star Wars land to open, guessing the queues will be big.
Mightyfraz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 18, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
ladyofleisure
Excited about Disney

We have been in August 2015, August 2017 and December 2013. We found it much quieter both times in August, especially the final week.

As others have said it's very hot and sometimes stormy in the afternoons but perfectly manageable.

If you are stuck on holidays in the main school break I'd say go for it all will be fine just bear in mind there is a small risk of a hurricane or tropical storm which may mean changing plans. It's a small risk though and rain or shine It's still the best place to visit on earth!

A link to my 2020 trip to Los Angeles:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1161735

A link to my 2017 trip to POR and HRH is show below:
Star Wars, Bar Bores, Car Tours and No Chores!

A link to my 2015 trip to CBR and RPR is shown below:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...me+the +power
ladyofleisure is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 18, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsMoney
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

We went the last 2 weeks of August in both 2015 & 2016 and for Halloween in 2017 - we actually found the end of October to be worse crowd wise so August might pleasantly surprise you.
MrsMoney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 18, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
tinytots
Imagineer

We always holiday last two weeks of August. It’s hot hot hot and humid but doable if you catch air con breaks and maybe head out early , nap/ pool in the afternoon ( if you are onsite/ Close makes it easier). Then heard back out early evening. Find the crowds bearable. We’ve been there st the start of September/ labour weekend and that weekend was busy. I also love the occasional afternoon shower that cools everything down.

Edited at 11:27 PM.
tinytots is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 18, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post
stetash
Getting to know the DIBB

Hi, we're planning our second trip for the exact same dates.

We first went in the last two weeks of August 2015, it was hot, humid and stormy but the queues were much shorter, 45 mins at the most, the way we managed was lots of ice cream and air conditioning breaks in the gift shops etc.

Also took frozen bottles of water into the parks each day, most of the queues offered some shade or cool mist sprays too.

It's obviously going to be busy on the Star Wars themed rides etc but that's where the fast passes will need to be managed well (that's my plan anyway) we are limited to school holidays but chose these 3 weeks based on our previous experience.
stetash is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 18, 11:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellesdream
slightly serious Dibber

Ahhh brilliant thank you! I have seen a few things about august which say it is hideously hot and busy so I was worrying!
We are hoping to do 1 week at universal (hopefully a express pass hotel) and then 2 weeks at Disney, probably POR. I'm hoping that will help with pool and water park breaks! Feeling very excited!
Bellesdream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 18, 12:02 AM  
Link to this Post
derenstar
Apprentice Imagineer

We will be going last week in August and first week of September 19 too. DD1 is also due to start secondary school and will miss three days at school, oops! It’s not ideal but DH can only take his leave at set times of the year due to work and that’s the leave period he will be on then.

We have been in August twice before and once in mid July. First week of August was very busy and very hot but not unmanageable. We just planned our days accordingly, we did the parks early or later in the evening and chilled or whiled away afternoons in air conditioned malls etc. We made the mistake once of trying to do a whole day at Animal Kingdom and we all ended up I’ll from heat stroke so never again . You also need to account for the thunder storms in the afternoon which can actually be a bit of a relief.

Drink loads, plan your days to avoid the heat and wear all the protection when out and about and you’ll be fine.
derenstar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 18, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
VickyJ
Apprentice Imagineer

VickyJ's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
We have been in August many times and we love it. Yep its hot, Yep its sticky but wear really thin cotton clothes an take advantage of the time difference, head out early and have fun
Poly isles 03-Portofino bay 06-Cypress point 2006-Port Orleans 09-Hard Rock 2010-AKL feb 11-Reunion Grande Jn 11-POR+Cruise Aug 13-OKW Aug 16-SSR Feb 17-S/Springs Aug17-Hyatt Aug17-VC Feb18-AKL Oct 19
I-Creek Jan 20, Vista cay 2022
VickyJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List