Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 6 Feb 16, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Sinclair
Proud to wear my Ears

Sinclair's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Driving on the other side of the road how hard can it be ?

I am really wanting to hire a car when we go to Florida but i must admit the thought of driving on the other side of the road really intimidates plus throw in the fact i dont where iam going.

Has anyone else ever had these fears but have managed to pluck up the courage to go for it. any tips ?
Old 6 Feb 16, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

The answer is it isn't hard ...

You will be sitting on the left side of the car so it feels natural

In these days of sat nav you don't have to worry about getting lost

As for the actual driving - keep your left foot away from the pedals and you will be fine
sotagals is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 16, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
den-kjr
Excited about Disney

Mobile

My first time too but just bitting the bullet and doing it going myself with three kids (one in wheelchair) dont fancy juggling transport
den-kjr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 16, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
papamouse
VIP Dibber

it is weird - your brain does a natural flip...

its like, remember your driving lessons, you had to tell yourself to indicate or check mirrors - now you drive for miles and just do it without thinking...

its like that, your brain naturally flips...

the biggest problem is always going round to the wrong side of the car every time you want to get in!

Knowing where you are and where you are going in general is good - last time we were at RIPO so out of the hotel - North/left was Universal and South/Right was way to Disney! A good map and plan your journeys initially until you are used to the routes.
Having a navigator in the passenger seat helps. Just one less thing for you to think about. I'm not big on sat navs but can use em if you are used to them at home. I see loads of people staring at a little screen and not looking at the road!

Get to know the bylaws about Turning Right on a Red Light, Parking at Pavements and of course kids car seats.

Got to say the biggest thing for me was the fact that the I4 was labelled East and West although the section at Orlando was North South - so as said above - when reading road signs and taking the I4, from centre of Idrive, Universal is East and Disney is West on the signage
papamouse is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 16, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Juliemack
waiting impatiently...!

Juliemack's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
I was really nervous the first time but I enjoy driving here so really wanted to do it there. I didn't hire from the airport the first time and it made it so much easier just driving around the car park of the hotel rather than negotiating my way out of the airport. It was fine, don't forget you're following traffic so it's natural to just stay on the right side of the road. The big traffic light junctions have a dotted line so you stay in lane, it's straightforward and I wouldn't have a holiday there without hiring a car now... go for it
Juliemack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 16, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
sparklegem
Serious Dibber

Mobile

I did it in October and actually quite enjoyed it. I even drove to Tampa and got caught in a massive downpour on some sort of crazy spaghetti junction.

The reality is that the roads are really easy to navigate because most of them are just straight lines.

We were however not looking forward to driving out of the airport with tired, moany kids and with likely grumpy moods ourselves. So we used a company called 'Car on the Drive'. They pick you up at the airport and take you to where you are staying and your car is waiting there for you. It's genius and such a good service.

The best part of it for us was we didn't want to be driving around a big car but if you hire a smaller car at the airport you prob won't get all your bags in. You don't have to worry about that as they pick you up in a people carrier so it fits everything in.

Then when you get to your accommodation, you can just take your time easing yourself into driving the car.
sparklegem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 16, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post

Driving in the USA is so much easier than over here. The roads are wider and the speeds are generally lower. I hired a car only 7 months after passing my test here and I found it enjoyable. Just get familar with the (not as difficult as they seem) rules before you travel and you'll be fine.

Just be prepared to miss gears, stall at the lights, drive too far over to the right side and be slower when you get back here as you're so used to the Automatics and US style of driving after a couple of weeks!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 16, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Sinclair
Proud to wear my Ears

Sinclair's Reviews
thank you guys for everyones replys i love the freedom of the car so i think ill just bite the bullet and go for it , watch out florida
Old 6 Feb 16, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Sinclair
Proud to wear my Ears

Sinclair's Reviews
thats such a great idea think ill be doing that
Old 6 Feb 16, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
blusteryday
Imagineer

blusteryday's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 12
Guidebook Photos: 8
If the current Mrs BD can do it without killing anyone (yet) then anyone can do it.

Mrs BD is also not a member of these forums. Fortunately.

Before hitting that "Submit Post" button, re-read what you've typed and consider:
Is it true?
Is it kind?
Is it helpful?
Is it necessary?
blusteryday is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread