Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 31 Oct 16, 03:14 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile Puncture help please

I've got a car with alimo through virgin holidays and paid for the gold insurance. Staying on site so don't need the car much, but come home tonite to find I have a puncture and when I call Alamo they're saying I need to pay $65 and they'll reimburse. But if I have the gold insurance covering everything should I have to?! TIA
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 16, 03:41 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Their insurance doesn't cover wheels/tyres, so if they send breakdown they will apply a charge against your account, not sure if they will refund when you return the motor. If it's a slow puncture either make do or return the motor and ask for a replacement. Double check if they intend to apply a charge, if necessary argue the toss that as it's a slow puncture there is no proof you caused this. I had a slow puncture many years ago and used to top the tyre off every couple of days until I returned, I advised and Alamo were fine about it.
ChrisS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 16, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
hols2florida
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

We had a puncture on our hire car a few years ago. There was a nail or something in it. We were already out & about at the time so just called in to a local garage. They repaired it there & then, it took about 10 minutes & we didn't even need to get out of the car!

We were on our way back to the villa being married when it happened so it was great that it was sorted so soon. The garage weren't even going to charge us, but we gave them some money anyway as we really appreciated their help.
hols2florida is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 16, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

Is there enough in it to get to a garage to top it up? If so do that, return it and tell them why. You'll just be given another car.
Old 31 Oct 16, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by 7SeasSailor View Post
Is there enough in it to get to a garage to top it up? If so do that, return it and tell them why. You'll just be given another car.
Happened to me twice in the summer.!
OP. If you haven't got enhanced roadside assistance you will be charged. The normal coverage doesn't include them to come out and swap over a wheel.
Actually when you think about it their charge isn't bad.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 16, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
whiteswan
Imagineer

whiteswan's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Happened to me twice in the summer.!
OP. If you haven't got enhanced roadside assistance you will be charged. The normal coverage doesn't include them to come out and swap over a wheel.
Actually when you think about it their charge isn't bad.
Once again Mr Morrow is spot on.

Something people should be aware of - good advice to get to a garage - fill it up with air if possible and take it to be swapped.

Its not the actual puncture you will be charged for - its somebody coming out to sort it for you.

And I agree - the charge is pretty reasonable IMHO.

Dave
whiteswan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 16, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Perhaps an obvious question, but is there a spare wheel or not?
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 16, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
moshman10
Imagineer

moshman10's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by PPM View Post
Perhaps an obvious question, but is there a spare wheel or not?
My thoughts too. surely the hire car will have a space saver at least for the trip to the garage.
Old 31 Oct 16, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Certainly the luxury and premium cars have a normal spare. Well normal as in one of those 50mph thin things.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 16, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post

When we had a blow-out it was a stupid little donut tyre, enough to get you to the nearest garage. We just paid up, it was our fault and they said it may take 3hrs to find us! There was a garage 50yds away who changed the wheel, balanced it and replaced it for £70 which wasn't to bad as they did it straight away.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread