Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 9 Jan 17, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
sandshal
Imagineer

Fab loophole OP ... This is why I LOVE the dibb

sandshal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 17, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
barbie5
Apprentice Imagineer

Thank You for posting - there is 6 of us and we were going to have 2 cars just booked
1 car 14 nights and 1 car for 17 nights both economy for total of £446, Alamo Brits wanted £667 so a good saving thanks again.

Chris
barbie5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 17, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
TEL N KEL
Imagineer

wow great find it works because there giving 7 days for the price of 5.
We have a 21 day trip so just split the car rental into 3 rentals and it saves us £200
Old 9 Jan 17, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

I'm with you now. Off for a look

Will playing around with the dates make a difference to the price ?

How do you do Quidco / executive club and Preferred on the booking ?

Are these cancellable ?

Edited at 09:28 PM. Reason: extra
sotagals is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 17, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Kirky123
Imagineer

Kirky123's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by sotagals View Post
I'm with you now. Off for a look

Will playing around with the dates make a difference to the price ?

How do you do Quidco / executive club and Preferred on the booking ?
We were already registered for exec club, it would be worth you joining first as it gives an extra driver free. I joined Avis preferred just before booking and at the end of the booking page it asks for your preferred number. Went through topcashback and it tracked within mins giving another £7 off!

We were considering not collecting the car on our last day and using uber to get back to the airport. however it clearly shows a no show fee will be applied. We will continue with our original plan to pick the car up at the doubletree hotel at the entrance to Universal and drive to MCO.
Kirky123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 17, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

omg every date and drop off location gives a different price !

Only managing to save about £75 so far

I don't suppose it would take long at MCO to drop off and pick up ? I'll tell the kids we're going on a mystery tour somewhere near Universal Studios.

I notice they charge an extra £10 to pay by credit card which is a bit of a cheek as you have to show up with the card you paid with to get the car.
sotagals is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 17, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
TEL N KEL
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sotagals View Post
omg every date and drop off location gives a different price !

Only managing to save about £75 so far

I don't suppose it would take long at MCO to drop off and pick up ? I'll tell the kids we're going on a mystery tour somewhere near Universal Studios.

I notice they charge an extra £10 to pay by credit card which is a bit of a cheek as you have to show up with the card you paid with to get the car.
If you split your booking into 7 day rentals you get 7 days for the price of 5
so 14 day rental make 2 rentals
21 day rental make 3 rentals
I was only asked £5 extra for using credit card
Old 9 Jan 17, 11:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Incarniac
Very Serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Originally Posted by TEL N KEL View Post
We have a 21 day trip so just split the car rental into 3 rentals and it saves us £200
The 7-days-for-the-price-of-5 stacks, e.g. a 14-day rental should give 4 days for free, so splitting it into two should be sufficient.

OP. Great find. Contemplating this as we're going May as well as November/December. Compared to Alamo Brits (existing booking + current prices) I'll save ~£60 over the 32 days in total.
Incarniac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 17, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
flo-tinka
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks so much OP. Booked last night for 2 lots of car hire either side of our cruise in August for half of what Alamo Brits wanted for 1 lot! And we got a suburban monster too whereas Alamo was only Standard SUV.
This gives us flexibility around Miami post cruise rather than taxi to south beach and then being without car for 5 days there
Totals: £791 for 13 days plus 5 days all inclusive and additional driver.
Was more than that for just the 13 day bit, but when I added the second portion it reduced in price overall!

DH really wanted the monster to drive around the west coast and the Keys:now he gets it!
flo-tinka is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 17, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Good tip OP. Works out cheaper than single booking for Avis, however for me Virgin Holidays is still coming in surprisingly cheap at the moment with Alamo (£50 cheaper than previous booking through Discount Florida Car Hire, so worth checking their prices).
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List