Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 10 Jan 17, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
simontimmins
Dancing with Tink'

Saving of £100 on 16 days rental of a Standard SUV (Ford Edge or equiv) in June, 2017. You don't need to go back to the airport as you can do one way rentals to somewhere like the Embassy Suites on I-Drive. Would prefer doing the 'swap' at the AVIS on the 192 but that keeps coming up with an error message. As somebody already stated it's highly unlikely that they will quibble over you keeping the car if you're happy with it. Equally if the car you pick up at the airport is a 'dog' or simply fancy a change it's a good way of trying two cars.
simontimmins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 17, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
TEL N KEL
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Incarniac View Post
The 7-days-for-the-price-of-5 stacks, e.g. a 14-day rental should give 4 days for free, so splitting it into two should be sufficient.

OP. Great find. Contemplating this as we're going May as well as November/December. Compared to Alamo Brits (existing booking + current prices) I'll save ~£60 over the 32 days in total.
I tried but mine do not work out if I book 21 days in a row
21 days convertible from miami airport £860

14 days convertible miami to orlando
7 days convertible orlando to miami
£660

7 days convertible miami to orlando
7 days convertible orlando to orlando
7 days convertible orlando to miami
£590

I think the system is buggy as pointed out by another member there getting different qoutes from different pickup drop off points, I guess its a case of just seeing what you can get.
But for an extra £70 discount I am happy to do 3 rentals I would pass the rental point on route to parks so I have arranged AM times to make it part of my route
I can buy more Mickey ice cream lolly's now

Edited at 11:50 AM.
TEL N KEL is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 17, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

Originally Posted by simontimmins View Post
Saving of £100 on 16 days rental of a Standard SUV (Ford Edge or equiv) in June, 2017. You don't need to go back to the airport as you can do one way rentals to somewhere like the Embassy Suites on I-Drive. Would prefer doing the 'swap' at the AVIS on the 192 but that keeps coming up with an error message. As somebody already stated it's highly unlikely that they will quibble over you keeping the car if you're happy with it. Equally if the car you pick up at the airport is a 'dog' or simply fancy a change it's a good way of trying two cars.
I'm finding it gives cheaper prices to swap at MCO .

If trying for a hotel location check the time and day of the week you are asking for.

I was looking at the LBV option on a Sunday and it wouldn't price it up.

We are doing 19 nights so can only split rental into 2.

I also looked into swapping somewhere on our way up from Marco to Orlando after the first week but these are coming up more expensive as well.
sotagals is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 17, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

Also don't forget to time your swap so you are dropping off at the airport within the time limit.

I was thinking I could just nip to the airport early in the morning from our villa and swap but of course that wouldn't work for the timings of our afternoon return to MCO on our last day.
sotagals is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 17, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post
TEL N KEL
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sotagals View Post
I'm finding it gives cheaper prices to swap at MCO .

If trying for a hotel location check the time and day of the week you are asking for.

I was looking at the LBV option on a Sunday and it wouldn't price it up.

We are doing 19 nights so can only split rental into 2.

I also looked into swapping somewhere on our way up from Marco to Orlando after the first week but these are coming up more expensive as well.
Most of the local rental points are 8.30 to 18.00 then of course sundays they may only be half day, I noticed that myself when adding times it was saying not available
Old 10 Jan 17, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
TEL N KEL
Imagineer

Originally Posted by simontimmins View Post
I have managed to do my swaps at the 192 location it may be the times you are requesting as this location is not open late

Address: 3011 Maingate Ln, Kissimmee, FL 34747, USA
Phone: +1 407-390-7220
Hours:
Tuesday 8am–6pm
Wednesday 8am–6pm
Thursday 8am–6pm
Friday 8am–6pm
Saturday 9am–3pm
Sunday 9am–3pm
Monday
(Martin Luther King Jr. Day)
8am–6pm
Hours might differ
Old 10 Jan 17, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Incarniac
Very Serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Originally Posted by TEL N KEL View Post
I think the system is buggy as pointed out by another member there getting different qoutes from different pickup drop off points, I guess its a case of just seeing what you can get.
Yeah, must be.

I tried two rentals from MCO: One for each of our trips, then tried to split each rental into two (we go 15 and 17 days) for four rentals in total and the saving was £2 (slightly odd, but there you go ).
Incarniac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 17, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Slinky Malinki
Being a bit Goofy

What an excellent tip this is! I've just a bad a look and it could save us a packet. There's an avis not far from where we're staying as well.

Slinky Malinki is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 17, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Incarniac
Very Serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Originally Posted by sotagals View Post
omg every date and drop off location gives a different price !
One reason for this is probably that dropping at a different location to pick-up is usually a bit more expensive, so I can imagine that different drop-off locations have slightly different prices.
Incarniac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 17, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
sparkles18
Imagineer

Thanks for this, we were only hiring a car for our second week and planning on getting a taxi to Universal for our first week on site to avoid paying the car park charges.

However I have now hired a car for 1 day to get us from the airport to RPR and then booked the car for the second week. The price was no different with the extra 1 day car hire!

All it will cost me is $22 for one nights parking which is a lot cheaper than the taxi fare.
sparkles18 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List