Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 27 Apr 17, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
snowdrop100
Excited about Disney

Snowdrops Family West Coast Adventure Day 4. San Diego Zoo, Seaport Village and Gaslamp Quarter

We were up and fairly early today because we wanted to get to the zoo for opening. We didnt quite manage that but we were out the door at 8:30. We had breakfast in the room and i remember waking up feeling so refreshed this morning. We really slept well in this hotel as it was just so clean and comfortable.

We parked really close to the entrance of the zoo and grabbed our tickets we had purchased on line the night before from the machines by the entrance.

I dont know why we went to this zoo, because our kids dont like animals. I feel like we just dont learn and always think they might start enjoying these things. I felt like we couldnt come to SD and NOT go to the Zoo and see the pandas etc but actually we wished we had've spent this money going to knotts berry farm later in the trip or something.

Anyway, dont let this put you off, its an amazing zoo, its just that its less enjoyable with moaning children who dont care that you're showing them a Koala alseep up a tree

Back to the day itself...We went straight to the Pandas then Koalas as we heard they sleep a lot and we knew they were fed early.

We then headed over to queue for the first skyway ride of the day which is included in the ticket price. Its like a cablecar that takes you over the park.

The girls were excited for this and enjoyed it. it was good to save our legs a bit as we did a lot of walking this holiday and it really crept up on us at the end.

We visited polar bears and various other animals that the girls were moaning about. I have real frustration with these type of days because I think how lucky my children are to be in SAN DIEGO looking at these animals and they just arent the kind of children who are fussed by that and would rather be on a beach or climbing some rocks. When I get frustrated it doesnt help matters either as then everyones a bit fraught.

Anyway, we knew at this point we werent going to stay too long but decided to go and have lunch which helped everyone a little as hungry AKA hangry never makes for a fun atmosphere. We chose to get an adults burger meal and chop it half for our girls as it was much cheaper than two kids meals. I've written down that a kids meal was $8.50 and an adults meal was $10.50. Food was expensive but as to be expected in a place like this really.I hope i dont sound like a cheapskate saying things like this but all the eating out does seem to add up even more with the poor exchange rate and we dont like to come back feeling like we cant afford another holiday next year because we've maxed out this year.

We left by 1:30 after seeing various other animals. We were back in the hotel by 2 and i knew what would turn this day around...pool time!

The pool is great at the BW+ its realyl nice and clean with plenty of towels and loungers each time we went. it overlooks the marina and is a really relaxing space. Its not huge but it doesnt need to be.

We didnt need ot go in the water because our girls can swim and they stayed in teh shallows. The pool was small enough with nobody else in that we felt safe just watching them (and i really mean watching them closely) the whole time and we were ready to jump in if needs be. It was lovely being on a sun lounger chatting to J and just watching the girls have fun. J decided to go in the hot tub wiht the girls after a while and then we decided we'd get washed up and head out for a nice dinner. I really feel like we were turning the day around from a rocky start.

Back to hotel room (which had been cleaned by the maid) and we got washed up and headed out to seaport village to go to the cheesecake factory. I used to live in FL so I have been many times but J and hte girls had never been in our previous trips to NY and FL so I was excited for them to go.

Seaport village seems upscale and lovely. We had a great meal and jsust generally had a chat with the girls about behaviour and how we wanted the holiday to go well.

We then parked up in the gaslamp quarter and paid a high amount to park for a short time in a parking lot. i think this was because there was a padres game on and Petco park is literally in the middle of the city which is just SO different from stadiums in the UK.

The game was just finishing when we parked up so loads of fans were coming out including lots of children. It seemed like such an amazing atmosphere and everyone was in good spirits. The Padres had won their first game of the season against the San Fran Giants so i guess thats why everyone was so happy!

We found a ghirardelli's and went for ice cream which was such a great way to end the day. We then went back to the hotel and crashed out in the usual way
snowdrop100 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 17, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Mobile

I'm sorry your girls weren't into the zoo, but at least you can say you've been there now. There's that, right lol? Yes, food is expensive there! In case anyone reading this doesn't want to pay those prices, be aware that you're allowed to bring in food from outside too. The same goes for the Safari Park in Escondido.

The hotel pool area is lovely, especially the setting with the boat marinas around. Nice you had the pool to yourself, too- I love when that happens!

Glad you had a great evening in the city Parking is always pricey downtown, but it also goes up on game days, as you discovered.

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 17, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

I think there are kids who just don't get zoos! Mine don't mind them occasionally but don't go overboard! We will still visit just like you (though mine are older so know now not to complain )

Your afternoon was lovely - seems such a nice hotel!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 17, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
snowdrop100
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
I think there are kids who just don't get zoos! Mine don't mind them occasionally but don't go overboard! We will still visit just like you (though mine are older so know now not to complain )

Your afternoon was lovely - seems such a nice hotel!
what age do they stop complaining?!
snowdrop100 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 17, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by snowdrop100 View Post
what age do they stop complaining?!
How long is a piece of string

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 17, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
Don't feel bad that your girls didn't like the zoo much. Glad you managed to turn it round with your pool time.

Some of our best Florida holiday memories whilst my two were growing up, were 'rest' days where we had the hotel pool to ourselves while everyone else were at the parks.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 17, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Sorry that your DDs weren't into the Zoo. My oldest DS is keen so hopefully will enjoy it.

We are thinking about Knotts Berry Farm on our first day re the early wake up. Sorry if I've mentioned this before in one of your reports.

Great to see how lovely the BW Palms looks.

Edited at 08:42 PM.
tocpe321 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 17, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
MichelleB
Imagineer

Sounds like you packed a lot in! we went to see a baseball game in Boston - the Red Sox at Fenway, it was a great experience! My kids aren't into zoos really, we may go to SeaWorld or Aquatica instead.

WDW Feb 2007 Bahama Bay
Beach Club/HRH/ Bella Piazza condo Oct 2010 New York April 2012
HRH and OKW August 2014. Boston, White Mts and Maine 2016
Planning for California Sept 2019
MichelleB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 17, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
florida girl
Imagineer

florida girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Shame the girls didn't enjoy the zoo it is huge though and involves a lot of walking. Looks like they enjoyed pooltime though simple pleasures 😄😄 have to say we liked the pools at the BW they were never very busy.

Hotel holidays can be expensive with regards to food as eating out is where all your money goes.
florida girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 17, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

What a shame your girls weren't into the zoo so much, but I suppose each to their own and if it's not their thing what can you do. The rest of the day sounds good, some pool time and a nice dinner at the Cheesecake Factory is great way to spend some time.