Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 26 Apr 17, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
snowdrop100
Excited about Disney

Snowdrops Family West Coast Adventure Day 2. Joshua Tree National Park

MY FAVOURITE DAY.

I will never forget this day. It was a day which I had been looking forward to since we booked this holiday but had always expected my kids not to be so enthusiastic. We had a running joke at home before we went that "mummy is looking forward to see TREES?!"

Well anyway, this day surpassed my expectations in terms of how much the whole family enjoyed it and also how well behaved the girls were in terms of walking and exploring.

This will be pretty photo heavy i expect.

We woke at 5 and got ready to go, eating cereal in the room as we had a little table in the kitchenette area.

We were out the door at 7 and stopped by Starbucks down the road for some wake up fuel. We discovered morning buns which were like cinnamon rolls with sugar on top instead of icing. They are delicious warm so we grabbed some of these to share.Perfect.

We had frozen bottles in our fridge the night before and packed ourselves plenty of snacks for the day and they came in so handy.

Anyway it took us about an hour to get to Joshua Tree visitor centre where we stopped for the junior ranger booklets and to grab a map etc.

A few minutes up the road we were at the entrance were you pay $25 but you can access the park for 7 days on this ticket i believe.

We had read and researched a lot before coming into the park which i really recommend as its vast and there are loads of places to stop and explore so its good to focus on the highlights if you only have a day there.

We started at the Barker Dam discovery trail and parked up.

The trail is obvious and you know where to walk without it being cordoned off with ropes etc as there are signs and indications of where to walk as you go. its about 1 mile loop and it was spectacular. It actually took us about an hour and a half as we were stopping and exploring so much. Honestly just the most amazing thing i've ever seen...the vistas, the rocks, the dam itself. A few photos of literally 100s i took here.

This was just the best time we had and wish we could return...i think we may well one day.

we stopped at the toilets by the car park and drove onto a picnic spot as we were pretty tired by then. We chose Hidden Valley as our picnic destination as knew there were picnic tables to use.

We sat at the base of a huuuuge canyon and it was just an amazing place to eat. We found a shady spot and drank loads and ate to keep our energy up . The car park was really busy but the area was so vast that we didnt have anyone around us in the spot we chose to eat. It was also possible that they were all off exploring while we were eating a pretty early lunch.

We brough cool bags out from England with us and these really came into their own today as we had really cold water to drink all day which was much needed in the desert.

We then went onto Skull rock area (via more toilets which were better than i thought they were going to be FYI. just remember to bring alcohol gel to clean)

Skull rock itself was a little underwhelming and i didnt photograph it.The rock formations around it lent themselves well to climb on and they were just so much fun. my girls loved to climb and scared the hell out of me haha.

After the climbing around for an hour or so we went and stopped at a few random places by the side of hte road that we fanced then headed to the cholla cactus garden as our final stop. i have no idea of timings here as the day just got away from us.

We then drove back to the hotel as we were all so tired. We rested up for a bit tbefore trying to find food. we wanted something quick and easy so popped to in n out burger which was good (not amazing like everyone says) but a decent burger. we then found a cold stone creamery and had another of their delicious ice creams before heading back to the hotel. we bathed and all went to bed at similar times this evening as we had walked miles and miles and climbed a lot .

Perfect day
snowdrop100 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 17, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
Sounds a fabulous day.

Don't disappoint me - I've been looking forward to an In 'n' Out Burger since I read about it in somebody's trippie.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 17, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

Such gorgeous photos! We are planning on stopping at the Joshua Tree National Park on our way from Vegas through to Palm Springs... seeing this has made me realise what a good idea it is!
Lisa_Lollipop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 17, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Gorgeous photos, snowdrop! Joshua Tree is amazing, like being on another planet. You went at a great time of year too, with the spring flowers and before the heat of summer really hits. Glad your visit exceeded your expectations

Originally Posted by jocat View Post
Don't disappoint me - I've been looking forward to an In 'n' Out Burger since I read about it in somebody's trippie.
LOL Don't be dismayed, jocat. I love In N Out! I think it's one of the best, for a fast food burger, and cheaper than most other fast food places. You should still give it a try and see what you think.

Edited at 06:16 PM.
Aims is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 17, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

We are hoping to do a day at Joshua Tree at Christmas - your report has convinced me what a good idea it would be

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 17, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
snowdrop100
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by jocat View Post
Sounds a fabulous day.

Haha it was a good burger, dont get me wrong! I think I have read so many people saying how lovely it was that my expectations were too high for a fast food restaurant. maybe you'll have a better experience now i've lowered your expectations a little?!
snowdrop100 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 17, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
snowdrop100
Excited about Disney

Going to J Tree has made me realise how amazing and different the American National Parks are and actually has me looking into flight prices to Arizona for 2019...!

I think we were super lucky with the blooms AIMS? someone walking around said they had the most water in 20 years in the last month or two so the blooms were particularly special this year.

Blooms or not...Joshua Tree is a beautiful place to explore for all
Old 26 Apr 17, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by snowdrop100 View Post
I think we were super lucky with the blooms AIMS? someone walking around said they had the most water in 20 years in the last month or two so the blooms were particularly special this year.
Yes, that is true. We had the wettest winter in California this year than probably in the last five. There is another desert state park in California called Anza Borrego that also made news this spring for having a brilliant desert flower blooming, due to the extra rain we got.

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941
Aims is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 17, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Lovely day and great photos. Must be good practice for your new career!

We have booked to stay in 29 Palms and visit Joshua Tree.
Old 26 Apr 17, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
charly77
Very Serious Dibber

Great Photos
charly77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List