Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 31 Aug 15, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Happyhaunt1000
slightly serious Dibber

Brett & Jo's Pilgrimage to Where it All Began: Day 7 - It's Universal but not as we know it!

Yet again I make no mention of what time we are up or if we eat anything before we leave today. I have a feeling I would’ve nibbled on some ribs before leaving the room… but can’t confirm that for sure!

Today we’re checking out of the Disneyland Hotel, getting picked up by our buddy Madan, driven back to the Staybridge Suites, dropping off our suitcases and then continuing on to Universal Studios, Hollywood. Having been to the Hollywood sign on Monday, we know that it’s going to be about an hour’s drive to get there so we’ve asked Madan to pick us up at 9:15.

With all our suitcases packed the night before, it’s just a simple case of dragging them to the lift, then to reception, before slinging them in the van. As we open the door to leave, there’s the dreaded envelope hanging on the door handle. It says that because they have our credit card on file, they’ve used that to check us out automatically, so there’s no need to go to reception. Result!

But there is also a second piece of paper in the envelope. It’s from Disney thanking us for staying with them… and offering us a deal… one more night at the DL Hotel for the reduced rate of $129. I hand the letter to Jo and she reads it. “What do you think?” I ask her, pretty sure I already know the answer! She tells me that normally a night here should cost $380 dollars… so that rate is really good. I ask her if she’d like to stay and she says of course she would… but do I? My answer is “heck yeah, I do!”

And with that, we leave our suitcases where they are and quickly rush downstairs to reception before they tell us they’ve changed their mind and the offer has been rescinded! The woman at reception uses all the details they currently have on file for us, checks we’re able to stay in the room we’re currently in (which we are) and then issues us with two new room keys. Yahoooooo! Another night at the DLH!

We go back upstairs, put a few items back in the safe and then proceed to head back downstairs (again) to meet Madan. He appears to be running a bit late due to the crappy weather and LA traffic. I get a message from Jon who had received a text from Madan saying he was running 10-15minutes late and would be with us soon. Pretty soon he’s pulling up to the curb and asking us where our suitcases are. We explain there has been a change of plan and we’re staying at the hotel. We tell him that on our way back tonight, we’ll need to stop at the Staybridge Suites to pick up our other suitcase that we’d left in the room, and check out a day early! Staying at DLH means that when we get home tonight we can have a nice relaxing wander around DTD to pick up any last minute things we haven’t got (of which at this point there are quite a few!)

The drive to USH takes an hour which is no surprise… and thankfully the closer to the park we get, the better the weather seems to be. For a long while we’d been driving in heavy rain (which the locals love, as they’re in the middle of a draught and hasn’t properly rained like this for years!) but it’s now clearing up. We pull up to the drop off point and arrange for Madan to meet us here at 5pm… then off we go.

First point of call is the ticket window so we can exchange our paper tickets for real tickets! We go to a free window and the person tells us they can’t exchange them here and that we need to go to Guest Relations... so that’s what we do. Unlike the normal ticket booths that had 10 or 15 people waiting to serve park guests, GR has four windows and two of them are closed! At one window is a guy and his family… and I mean ALL his family! There are about 10 of them crowding round! At the other window… a couple are asking the guy working behind the counter questions about every single ticket they sell, the advantages and disadvantages of each ticket, and all the tours, VIP passes and specials they have on offer. At this rate it’ll be 4:55 when we get in the park! After what seemed like an eternity, the couple appear to decide not to buy anything and walk off! We hurry up with our bits of paper. The woman takes a couple of details and inside of a minute we’re walking away from the booth with our park tickets.

So as with our Disneyland days where I compared everything to what id experienced in WDW & DLP, I’m going to compare USH to USO. The first thing both me and Jo notice is how small the entrance and main walkway into the park is compared to Florida. When you get to US in Orlando, it feels grand and big… and like an experience. Here, you walked through the gates and all there was a statue that everyone was clamouring round to have a photo next to.

Our plan today was to do the things that US Orlando doesn’t have… so that means the Waterworld Show (apparently heralded as the number one rated stunt show in Hollywood) and the Studio Tour. Other than that… we’ll just pick the things we want to do the most. Straight away we head towards the Studio Tour as it currently showing a 15 minute wait and we’d heard the wait is usually around an hour. Something we notice on the way are the number of characters out for meet and greets at the same time… that’s not something we normally see at USO!

As the park is set into the side of the hills, I was aware that we’d have to go up and down escalators to get to the different levels where attractions were housed… and so we head down a steep escalator and into the queue for the tour.

As we weaved our way back and forth in the line, each time we got to one side of the queuing area we got to see the amazing views off the side of the hill. It was strange seeing something so scenic in a theme park queue line.

It wasn’t until we got onto the tour tram that the CM explained a little about what we’d be seeing and that the tour itself was an hour long! The tour was actually really interesting… especially to a film/TV nerd like myself! You get driven through actual outdoor sets that are used in various shows and movies, and they explained how they’d been used in some big blockbusters like Captain America, and how they adapt and reuse certain sets over and over… one of those we went through was the original Hill Valley from Back to the Future!

Parts of the tour had interactive elements. When I say interactive, I mean that the environment was interacting with the tour… a bit like Disaster, or the Backlot Tour Canyon scene. At one point, we were in a Mexican village and they set it so that a flash flood occurred, and at another point we come up to the Bates Motel, and we see Norman putting something that looks suspiciously like a body into the boot of a car, before noticing us and heading towards us, knife in hand!

Now, when I’d been looking up the attractions they had at USH, the one that they were making a big deal about was the King Kong 4D experience. I (wrongly) assumed it was an attraction all on its own… but no! It’s part of the Studio Tour. Our tram is driven into a giant aircraft sized hanger (which has been decorated on the outside to look like part of Skull Island) and then all around you, video is projected onto the walls and ceiling. You’re told to put your 3d glasses on and images of dinosaurs and King Kong are projected and it’s made to feel like you’re in the middle of a battle between these giant creatures. Kong climbs over the top of you and the whole tram bounces to represent him stepping on the roof. The whole thing only lasts about two minutes or so and then it finishes and we carry on with the tour.

They’ve been very clever with the promotion of this, because they are selling it like there is this whole King Kong attraction, and not that it’s just a small part of the Studio Tour. While we’re moving on to the next set, the CM tells everyone that they are adding a Fast & Furious section which would be opening over the summer... I wonder if they’ll promote it the same way as Kong!

My favourite part of the whole tour though was the Amity section and the Jaws lagoon. I’m a massive fan of Jaws (it’s my favourite film of all time) so seeing that animatronic bad boy in the water, coming out and rising by the side of the tram (right where I was sitting) was the highlight of the whole hour for me.

After our guided tour around these working studios, we are back at the loading/unloading bay and disembarking. We head up the escalators and look for a board to tell us the wait times of the attractions. It’s around 12:30, and we see that the Waterworld show is due to start at 1pm so figure we could get a decent seat for the show… and then for the final 3 and a bit hours we can just ride anything that doesn’t have a particularly long wait time.

First off though, we should probably grab something to eat. We walk to an area that has a few places to eat and we can see pizza and burgers… but that’s about it. I could’ve just shared a slice of pizza with Jo, but she didn’t want to eat pizza. Across from where we were standing, I can see a sandwich place. Now it’s at this point that there is a breakdown in communication that leads to us having a bit of a barney!

I thought that Jo wanted a sandwich, she thought I wanted a sandwich. We went into the shop and I’m now thinking that Jo wants to share a sandwich… but she doesn’t actually want any food as she feels sick. As we’re looking at the sandwiches on offer a few people move round us and then stand directly in front of us so we can’t see. I tell Jo to move forward so she can see what one she wants. She doesn’t want to, and says she doesn’t want a sandwich. Now I wrongly assume it’s because people are now making it difficult for us to see the selection and she just wants to get out the shop. (Jo has a tendency to not want to make a scene and has been known to walk out of queues/shops if she gets annoyed with something/someone.) She walks outside and I get the hump because I think that this is one of those situations. I say that she should just go back in and get a sandwich and don’t worry about the idiots. She just replies with “I don’t want one!”

Jo, whilst this is all going on, is thinking that it’s me who wants a sandwich, but that I’m forcing her to pick one to eat, even though she doesn’t want one. This breakdown in communication leads to us not talking to one another for about 10 minutes and me walking round with a massive strop because I’m starving hungry and I’ve got to wait for at least another 30 minutes until the Waterworld show is over!

We get to the arena and get our seats. A few minutes after we arrive, half of China turns up. I’m assuming it’s a tour group (without the flag waving and constant chanting that South Americans do) and they fill about six rows in and around where we are sitting. They all have iPhones, video cameras and iPads at the ready… and within a minute of the show starting, one particular woman (who happens to be directly in front of me) whips up her iPad and holds it almost at arm’s length above and in front of her meaning nearly all my view of the massive set/lagoon is blocked!

Seconds after the woman does this for the second time, Jo does something I see very rarely with her… she loses her cool. She taps the woman on the shoulder, the woman turns round and Jo (in a very stern voice and a furrowed brow) says “DOWN” and points to the ground! I don’t know if the woman spoke English… but she could obviously read facial expressions and understand hand gestures because the iPad was moved back to just in front of her chest and remained there until the final moments of the show! This is really out of character for Jo, who as I mentioned earlier is not one for confrontation and is always overly polite and respectful to people… but on this occasion, and probably because of the mini ‘disagreement’ we’d had not so long ago, the thoughtlessness shown by the woman in front was enough for her to utter one word with such venom that the little old Chinese woman dared not disobey!

So what was the show like? Well… short answer is ‘it was ok’! It didn’t really have much of a story, they just had stunt people who were very skilled at certain things. There were people who were good on jet skis, so they had them riding about in the lagoon, doing sharp turns, going under water, doing a few jumps... actors who were good at high diving, so they were diving/falling from high up in the rigging. Unfortunately it just wasn’t that cohesive (or interesting!)

There was a scene at the end where this biplane came flying over the back wall of the set and crashed and caught fire in the lagoon. That was the best thing about the whole show… but as soon as the plane smashed into view, the woman in front of me had obviously forgotten Jo’s instruction earlier and the iPad was out at arm’s length again… so there was a little bit of the action I didn’t see.

It certainly wasn’t as good as the Indiana Jones Stunt show, was probably on par with Lights Motors Action, but was definitely better than the pitiful Sinbad show at IOA.

When we came out of the arena, our hunger from earlier had vanished so we made the decision to get as many attractions done by 4pm as we could, then we’d go to Citywalk, have a quick wander round the shops there and grab a bite to eat before Madan picked us up at 5pm. Our first stop was Transformers so this meant going down to the lower levels. I kid you not, we spent well over 5 minutes going down long, VERY steep escalators to finally reach where the attraction was housed. There was no more than a 5 minute wait and it’s an exact copy of the USO version.

Edited at 06:28 PM.
Happyhaunt1000 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 15, 06:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Happyhaunt1000
slightly serious Dibber

Continued...

From here we went straight onto Jurassic Park. There didn’t appear to be as many dinosaurs as there are in the IOA version. But the ones they did have all spat water at the boat! So before we were at the final drop, me and Jo were already soaked! In between the water spitting, we took a couple of selfies and sent them back home to the DADC. I promptly got told off by Soph who said I shouldn’t be using my phone on the attraction! Funnily enough… there were signs on the dock encouraging people to use their phones and cameras to take photos… which I though was weird. Anyway, the final drop drenched me! They did have some handy paper towels available in the gift shop to pat yourself dry with, but they didn’t really help.

After that, it was round to The Mummy (first dropping off our bags in a locker). The queue line was, I think, meant to represent an actual tomb that you were entering, unlike the USO version where a mummy has been disturbed and it’s no longer part of the movie! Either way it wasn’t as good as USO. The attraction itself was different as well. There was a scene at the beginning where they had all these arms coming through the ceiling… almost as if they were trying to grab at you as you went through the tomb. Instead of the treasure chamber scene with the warriors springing up to your left and right, they had a few of them drop from the ceiling and land either side of the vehicle… and then the coaster just starts.

Halfway through, when you think you’re going to get the ‘flaming ceiling’ scene, you instead get the scene you get in Orlando that’s near the start… the one with all the bugs coming out of the screen in front of you. After the bugs have come out of the wall… the coaster starts going backwards and I was thinking ‘ok here we go it’s going to spin us round and the second part of the coaster will begin’… but it didn’t! All that happened was you arrived backwards into a room where all this smoke is being pumped in… the car rotates round… and it just ends and rolls into the station! What the actual flip? Disappointing and underwhelming to say the least!

It was now time for us to leave the lower level and I made a stupid suggestion to Jo that instead of getting the escalators all the way back to the top level, we walk up the stairs instead. Now seeing as Jo had recently joined a running club, I pictured her doing her best Rocky impression and sprinting up the stairs… but she didn’t. Instead, the pair of us did about 250 stairs and said “balls to this” and got the escalators up the remaining two flights!

Once upstairs (and with our muscles still burning a little) we got in line for Despicable Me… an attraction we rarely do in Orlando because, as with Toy Story Midway Mania, the standby lines are normally in excess of 80minutes. Today though in USH it was only 15minutes. The queue for the attraction has nothing going on at all. But once inside the building, the theming and videos they show are great. It’s exactly the same ride as in Orlando… so if you’ve done that then you know what it’s all about! With that ride over we have a wander through the rest of the park that we hadn’t seen, and then make our way to the exit and then on to Citywalk.

Overall, this park is just a much smaller version of USO… and although it has a few of IOA’s attraction in there as well, I don’t think it has the charm or enjoyment that I get from walking around IOA and USO. The Studio Tour is very good and was probably the best thing about the whole park. The park is close to opening their own Harry Potter & the Forbidden Journey attraction in Hogsmeade (which was all still being built) and I hear that their version of the attraction will be 3D. Unfortunately I think the park is in dire need of something else in there but they don’t have the luxury of space like the Orlando park does (unless of course they keep building lower down the mountain!)

Would I recommend going to this park if you were going to California? Probably not. (Unless you were staying 5 minutes from the park). For me the hour long drive to get here wasn’t worth it and I would have rather spent that day walking round the two Disney parks again… but we felt that seeing as we’d come all this way to the West Coast, it’d be a shame to not go there.

Citywalk, however, was a different ball-game all together! It was bigger than we’d anticipated, with a decent ratio of shops vs restaurants (which I don’t think Citywalk in Orlando has).

We went into Hot Topic and we both picked up a couple of items that we wanted… but for some reason, we then decided that we didn’t actually want them and put them back on the shelves (most unlike us when it comes to shopping!)

We then went into the sock shop (it wasn’t called that) and after 10 seconds of being in there, Jo said she was done and that she wasn’t really bothered about looking anywhere else. I’m guessing it was because she was now getting hungry again, and when Jo doesn’t eat, she gets ratty! Ordinarily, she’d have loved this shop (because in case you didn’t know, for someone that hates feet, Jo loves socks!)

I figured instead of looking round anymore shops, we should sit down somewhere and eat. We both quite fancied a hot dog so went to Jodi Maroni’s Sausage Kingdom (!) Instead of being sensible and just getting a normal hotdog, I went for a Polish dog that had peppers and onions on it, and although it was nice, Jo’s plain hotdog was much better.

Once full, we looked round a few sports memorabilia shops but everything in there was so expensive that yet again we walked out of the stores with nothing. We also did this in a popcorn shop when we couldn’t decide on a specific flavour we wanted!

It was a bit before 5pm when we arrived back at the place where Madan had dropped us off. And while we were looking for his people carrier we see this arm waving at us out of a window of a car. It was Madan! His son had needed the people carrier for another job, so he’d picked us up in his own car.

I was totally exhausted and 15minutes into the journey I actually fell asleep in the back of the car! I think I slept for about half an hour, and at points during that I’d open my eyes and Jo was talking to Madan. When I woke up properly, we were still nowhere near home. Ahhhh, the LA rush hour traffic… don’t you just love it! (No… I don’t!)

I’d been looking out the window for a few minutes and when I turned back to look out the front of the car, I noticed that now Jo had fallen asleep! It’s like we were doing it in shifts. All in, it took us nearly 2hours to get back to the Staybridge Suites to pick up our suitcase. We ran up to the room, threw any remaining stuff into the case and gave the room a quick once over to check we hadn’t left anything laying around. We quickly stopped off at reception to say we were leaving early and asked if we had to do anything, which we didn’t, so we got back in the car and made our way back over to the other hotel.

We pull up outside the Disneyland Hotel, get the case out the back of the car, pay Madan for the day (another fixed fee that was very reasonable) and said our goodbyes. He shook Jo’s hand, then turned and shook mine. He then gave me a massive hug and said thank you to me for all the conversations and for being nice people. Ahhh bless him, we obviously made an impression on him!

After this unexpected outpouring of feelings, we went into the hotel, got in the lift and went up to our room. Instead of sitting down and relaxing we got straight to work on trying to pack our suitcase. Notice I used the word ‘trying’. This was because we’d bought quite a lot of merchandise and the game was trying to make sure that the breakables had enough padding around them that they wouldn’t break in transit. It became apparent after an hour of packing, unpacking, re-packing and then unpacking again, that not everything was going to fit in the three cases we’d brought with us. So a trip to CVS was now needed to pick up one of their cheap $40 jobbies so we’d be able to fit everything comfortably.

It’s a nice evening and the walk through DTD, past the parks and along to CVS takes about 20minutes. Instead of heading straight for the aisle with the suitcases in, we peruse the shelves looking for weird and wonderful snacks to take home. Jo was on the hunt for Twinkies for some work friends who’d never tried them before, while I was picking up as many different varieties and flavours of jerky as I could find!

In honour of one of the DADC

After filling our basket with loads of tasty treats Jo wanted to quickly(!) check out the make-up section. So with some nail varnish added to the basket we finally went to the suitcase section of the store, picked a suitcase and made our way to the checkout. At the till next to us was a crazy woman who was arguing saying she had been charged for an item she’d decided not to buy. When the woman behind the till checked her receipt, the items wasn’t on there… but the woman was having none of it… claiming loudly “the store is trying to take my money!” A manager came along to try and move the woman to one side and deal with the situation, but she wasn’t going quietly! We paid for our goods and were out of the store before this saga ended, so I don’t know if the woman actually ever grasped the fact that she hadn’t been charged for this rogue item!

We walked back to the entrance to Disneyland, and obviously if you go off site, when you return you have to go through bag check again. Well… we get to bag check and we’ve now got a suitcase with us. A newly acquired suitcase which is full of bubble gum, jerky, nail varnish and Twinkies! I explain we’ve just been to buy the suitcase and we’re going back to our room, but they won’t let us walk through the main concourse unattended. We have to have an escort through to the other bag check between the parks and DTD! One of the Golden Girls appears from nowhere and tells us to follow her. I swear to God, I don’t think I’ve ever walked as slow in my life as I did when I walked with this CM! It was like she was taking the smallest steps EVER! When we got with 20metres of the other bag check, I couldn’t take it anymore, and just sped off in front of her and through the bag check exit!

Once in DTD we stop at Starbucks and get a couple of drinks and also grab a couple of California mugs that we haven’t yet bought. We hadn’t eaten since 4:30 this afternoon and it was now getting late so we decided to get something from Earl of Sandwich, as it’s always quick and tasty!

When we got back to the room we plonked down on the bed and ate our sandwiches. I really wish I’d gotten one of the nice baguettes I’d seen in Starbucks because, without a doubt, it was the worse EoS I have ever eaten! The bread was soggy, there was hardly any filling and they were flavourless! If I wasn’t so hungry I would’ve binned them. Thinking back… I should’ve just cracked open a packet of jerky!

Because I’d done most of the packing, I knew exactly what was in each case, and knew that I’d equally distributed the weight in the ones we’d already packed. Jo then tried to help by removing items and putting them in the new case, but she was just making things worse so I told her to just sit down and I’d do it on my own.

Seeing as we had three virtually fully packed cases already down, it didn’t take that long to get the fourth and final case packed. We now had all of our breakable items surrounded by padding in each of the four cases. My hope was that at least two of the four would make it home unscathed! In fact, we still had some space in a couple of the cases should we wish to do any last minute shopping before we went home tomorrow. Unfortunately, what with our day at Universal, the packing, the trip to CVS and then more packing, we didn’t get to see anymore of Jon and Lisa (even though they were just down the hall). By midnight we were all packed and climbing into bed after a thoroughly exhausting, yet fun filled day.

And that my little chickens is that… our final full day in California over and done with. It certainly had its massive ups (getting to stay one more night in the DLH) as well as its downs (spending 3hrs in the car getting to and from Universal, the stupid argument we had about sandwiches, the iPad-womble) but it was another great day.

As always, thank you for reading, I hope you’ve enjoyed it… and we’ll see you soon for the last instalment of this TR where some last minute purchases from DTD throw our suitcase weights into disarray and we spend a ridiculous amount of money in the world’s worst airport!

I love you byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee xx

#dibbafteryourwifeshowsherdarksideatthewaterworlds how
Happyhaunt1000 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 15, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Buffton
Apprentice Imagineer

Can't believe the number of steps and escalators at universal! I had no idea it was built where it is. Some of the theming looks great. I also get 'Hangry' when I need to eat!
Huge thanks again guys for such a detailed report, I enjoy reading every instalment!
Lizzie
Buffton is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 15, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
emmabanana
VIP Dibber

Another great day, that was brilliant that you got the offer from Disney for the extra night, I would have taken it too!
emmabanana is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 15, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Louisiana
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Nips in your post? This is a family site don't you know!
Universal seemed a bit of a let down which is a shame
Me and my hubby also seem to have epic fall outs over minor stupid stuff as well!
Louisiana is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 15, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Mobile

Madan sounds like a top taxi driver!
Old 1 Sep 15, 06:24 AM  
Link to this Post
babybear11
Proud to wear my Ears

Another great day guys, should of thrown her iPad into the water.
Lisa gets hungry too...
Rob & Lisa's 2022 Episode IV : 10th Wedding Anniversary
Rob & Lisa's 2023 : The Fifth Trip
babybear11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 15, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Brilliant again!

I think we had the same woman at Waterworld, Ipad womble

Shame you didn't like USH too much, I really enjoyed it but it was only a 1/2 day park for us and we managed everything.

LA traffic really does live up to its reputation!
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 15, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Twentyyears
VIP Dibber

Ahhh the dreaded shopping packing dilemma!
What a great offer for the room, I would have, lol!
Twentyyears is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 15, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
slow.jo
Very Serious Dibber

Nibbled on some ribs before you left the room? Before or after getting the snail out of the U bend?

Parts of USH look very cool. The studio tour especially. Great shot of Bruce! It’s a shame that everything was so far spread out for you. As someone who drives, the distance wouldn’t be too much of an issue, but the idea of getting cabs everywhere fills me (and my purse) with horror.

I’ve been waiting for that sandwich story

I do love Minions, looking forward to riding next month! My favourite Minion is Stuart, obvs.

Jodi Maroni’s Sausage Kingdom, indeed.

I can’t believe you didn’t buy me any Nips!

You just broke my heart with the manky EoS

#dibbafteryourehangry
#dibbafteryouneedanipadhelentodiffusethetension

Stewboy's Trip Reports

Edited at 08:13 PM.
slow.jo is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List