Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 15 Apr 19, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
WeHeartOrlando
slightly serious Dibber

Bagged a bargain but need help re car/Disney/other.

Whilst waiting on free dining being released I did the thing where you just check prices for holidays leaving asap just to torture myself. Instead I found a great bargain and booked it! So we leave in 3 weeks for a cheeky week

Going Man-Sanford with Tui staying at Rosen at Pointe. Going to get the train down to Manchester Airport the day before and stay at the Travelodge in Stockport. Then straight home from the airport station. Paid £1200 for 2A2C with tui, Train was £46 rtn with railcard and travelodge was £32.

We already have Universal two park annual passes. Haven't been to VB yet.

Questions are:
Having never been in May before what can we expect crowd and weather wise? (we've been June/July, September/October and November for comparison). US doable without express?

Should we hire a car? We've done I drive stays in the past without a car and Rosen has shuttles to US. We have coach transfers included with tui. Haven't been without a car there for a while though.

Will I struggle not getting to Disney!? Considering a one day ticket; should we? Would you? Would you hire a car for one day if you did? Would some time at Disney Springs satisfy my cravings or make them worse? Disney water park suffice?

Or for approx the same price should we get SW three park tickets (same price as two park)? Hire car for BG?

We tend to do full on days so not worried about how hectic a week of parks will be.

Help please!
Cabana Bay: Sep 2019 Oct 2023
DLP: Oct 05 Sep 13 Feb 14 July 19
WeHeartOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 19, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

We faced this exact dilemma last year after bagging a similar bargain, for a 14 day holiday.

Didn’t know if I could not do Disney, but we had an absolute blast ! We got seaworld tickets to give us a water park to do and seaworld and we had great time.

We had a wonder to poly resort and broadwalk (parked for free at Disney springs and got on the bus) and watched lots of Disney fireworks without the entry fee!

I would say yes, car is a big must as you can go to the coast, celebration, etc, old town is good for a night out.

We didn’t miss Disney ! Not sure if we will visit again after our next trip (which was already booked), we could do so much for the £1400 that Disney costs us!

Edited at 12:44 PM.
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 19, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
The Fatadder
Apprentice Imagineer

I have stayed in May and Oct and I would say that the crowd levels are pretty similar. Personally May is my favourite time of year to go, and I would be going in May next year rather than October if it wasn't for the fact we get a 2 week half term in Oct but only a week in May, (and that my youngest should have passed 40 inches in October while it will be touch and go in May).

I have done Florida without Disney before and had an amazing time, however given how much my wife and children love Disney I don't think we could ever do it now. I dont think Springs or the Waterparks would satisfy the Disney bug in comparison with a day at the park (especially after being spoiled by Volcano Bay)

Personally unless on site at either US or Disney I would want a car for the extra flexibility
The Fatadder is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 19, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
mexico07
VIP Dibber

I think if you have universal tickets and your only doing a week I wouldn’t pay the money for a one day ticket for Disney , your talking well over £400 for one day for your family ! We have done many trips without Disney and we really enjoy just hopping round and having a look at the resorts and love Disney springs , on your last trip we didn’t do any parks and we definitely missed it but had fantastic days doing lots of other stuff , as far as a car goes i first nd it difficult not being able to up and go when I want but if you have transfers and shuttle at the hotel I’d use Uber or lyft for anything else , it will stil work out a lot cheaper than car hire and parking ! Whatever you decide I’m sure you’ll have a fantastic time xxx
mexico07 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 19, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I agree with mexico07, for a week Universal is plenty.
We don’t do Disney now and absolutely love Florida. £400 for one day at Disney- absolutely not worth that.😊
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 19, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
WeHeartOrlando
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Thanks all.
I think we would manage fine without a car if only doing Universal but I think I would miss being able to just jump in and go wherever. Especially for publix cooked chicken! Haha!
I know it’s a huge expense for one day but we all love Disney so much that we really are considering it. If we do decide to go for it it’ll be hard to choose just one park.

But whatever happens we’re just so excited to be getting away so soon!
WeHeartOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 19, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
WeHeartOrlando
slightly serious Dibber

After your advice and a chat with DH last night we have decided to stick to universal only this trip. We might go to a disney water park but we're just going to decide while we're there. Or we might do VB as we've still not been yet.

So with that I've just booked a night at Cabana Bay using avios. And we might add a second day on using my AP discount I've been keen to stay at this hotel as I love the retro style.
Old 16 Apr 19, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Wismgari
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WeHeartOrlando View Post
After your advice and a chat with DH last night we have decided to stick to universal only this trip. We might go to a disney water park but we're just going to decide while we're there. Or we might do VB as we've still not been yet.

So with that I've just booked a night at Cabana Bay using avios. And we might add a second day on using my AP discount I've been keen to stay at this hotel as I love the retro style.
Personally, I think VB is so much better than the Disney waterparks! I do the Disney waterparks as they are included in my ticket, but I wouldn't pay for it as a day ticket. However, last trip I did pay for a single day entry to VB and thought it was amazing.

We also stayed 2 nights in Cabana Bay and loved it there so I am sure you will have a blast

Enjoy your bargain!
Wismgari is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 19, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
WeHeartOrlando
slightly serious Dibber

Thanks! I think we might try VB this time if we manage to find time for a water park. One week goes fast even when planning an itinerary. If not I'm sure the CB pool will suffice; it looks fab!