Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 19 Feb 17, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Hevfev
slightly serious Dibber

Hevfev's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by katiewintle View Post
We fly out at 10.30am from Manchester Airport on the 29th August. How many hours before do you all suggest we get to the airport? Virgin says on their website that it's 2 hours before, but I'm lead to believe its 3 hours before. Will we have enough time to get through security etc in 2 hours? Thoughts please.
Many thanks
We fly the same day and it's our 2nd time too we are flying with TC though!
Hevfev is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 17, 06:17 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Likely we buck the trend regarding stress... we're stress free by overnighting at Heald Green PI, UC check-in circa 80 mins afore push back. As the majority have gone thro we find fast track relatively quiet, no rush/push/shove to clear, then a stroll to boarding gate. Chances are we're at the boarding gate afore many troughing/shopping somewhere in the airport
Old 20 Feb 17, 07:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Madfish
Imagineer

Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
. (At Terminal 5 Heathrow you have to catch a train from the main terminal to the departure area.)
Not always! Although most long haul will tend to depart from 5b or 5c. Even then you don't have to take the train from T5a to get to these parts of the terminal if you know what to do!

Edited at 07:38 AM.
Madfish is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 17, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post

We always arrive about three hours before, and we stay overnight at the airport the night before too. I hate the thought of rushing around and worrying so we just take it easy x
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 17, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

As I said eaelier, at Manchester we arrive early to avoid any chance of traffic holding us up. When we stayed onsite overnight at Glasgow, we left it much later than normal to walk across to the Airport, as we know there's little that can delay us walking across a road.

It's all about making absolutely certain you're not late, then leaving it as late as you dare so you're not hanging about.
Old 20 Feb 17, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

The last time that we drove up on the morning of departure there had been a large diesel spillage on the roundabout immediately outside Gatwick Airport. The police stopped all of the traffic and would only allow one vehicle to drive across it. The traffic was backed up along the M23. Thankfully I was at the front of the queue. A lot of people missed their flights that day and ever since we go up the night before and I'm in the airport security queue 3 hours before.
Old 20 Feb 17, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Sotong
slightly serious Dibber

We are on at 8.30am flight to NY this summer, staying overnight in a nearby Heathrow hotel, but still not sure we will need to be / want to be at the airport at 5.30am!
First shuttle / hoppa bus from the hotel is 5am, but guess we will aim to be on it!

I always wonder what time the check in desks actually open? although realise that 8.30 is nowhere near the first flight of the day!

Gillian.
Sotong is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 17, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Jaynew
slightly serious Dibber

We are on the 9.20am Virgin flight from Heathrow. We are staying at the Travelodge overnight and will aim to be at bag drop by 6.30 ish. we will have a leisurely breakfast and a wander round the shops to pass the time. We've also bought the pass the pigs game which has become addictive so we will have a few rounds of that as well!

We only actually live 45 mins from Heathrow but it involves junctions 23-15 of the M25 and after an accident delayed us before a flight to Boston, I will never forget us running through the airport with a baby, buggy and suitcases with about 60 seconds until bag drop closed and me sobbing as I got there just in time. We were rushed though security, didn't have enough time to collect our dollars at the bureau de change and as we boarded the plane last, everyone clapped, the doors closed and off we went.

I never ever want to go through that again!
Jaynew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 17, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
bazzaang1212
Dancing with Tink'

We are also on the virgin flight from heathrow at 09:20 Jaynew, we are stopping in the crowne plaza the night before and getting the shuttle bus over in the morning at approx 06:00. Personally always go to airport the night before and then there is less stress in the morning. Straight through security and then breakfast and a wander on airside.

Not long now
bazzaang1212 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 17, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Jaynew
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by bazzaang1212 View Post
We are also on the virgin flight from heathrow at 09:20 Jaynew, we are stopping in the crowne plaza the night before and getting the shuttle bus over in the morning at approx 06:00. Personally always go to airport the night before and then there is less stress in the morning. Straight through security and then breakfast and a wander on airside.

Not long now
It's so exciting isn't it. It's our first time so I can't wait. We should wear something that identifies all the Dibbers so we can have a chat during the flight!
Jaynew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List