Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 Feb 17, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
lme30005
Apprentice Imagineer

More Virgin miles/upgrade questions

I have never booked flights direct with Virgin before as they always work out way more expensive. Apart from the security aspect, what are the advantages to booking direct?
I've never been able to upgrade tickets as they've been booked through agents and are the wrong ticket class. How do I know that the ticket class I book through Virgin would be eligible for an upgrade?
Also, I have about 40k miles, husband has about 20k and kids will have a few thousand. How can we combine those on the same booking without having to 'sell' them to each other? Currently I can only get £36 pp off a miles and money flight.
lme30005 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 17, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Each person needs to have enough for a miles flight if you want to use them that way. You can't transfer them to each other without paying a fee but you can use miles from each account. For example, last year I has enough for one way PE which was 35000 miles at the time. Actually I had around 42000. My sister had 28000 or so but for both of us to get a PE miles flight I had to transfer miles to her account to make up the difference to 35000 miles. We were charged a fee but it was still cheaper than paying for PE. We then booked PE miles one way and cash the other.
Best bet is to phone Flying Club and ask what you can get.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 17, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
lme30005
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks. I want to go over the Christmas period so I think my chances of getting a miles flight are probably zero! The only possibility is using them for miles plus money or trying to get an upgrade somehow after Ive bought the tickets. PE is currently working out to be about £3k extra for us all to book direct (6 of us)
lme30005 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 17, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
loola30
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Just to clarify, you get £18 off per 3,000 miles so you should be able to get more than £36pp off?
Old 23 Feb 17, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
BrightlyBob
Very Serious Dibber

Basically the cheapest tickets in E or PE are in the bottom fare class and aren't upgradeable. If you want to be sure your ticket is upgradeable you can use this to search -

matrix.itasoftware/#searc...=BHXMCO-MCOBHX

Having entered your departure and destination airports, and clicked search, you'll see on the results page a list of flights , when you click on details you'll see a letter in brackets. That is the fare bucket. Currently upgradeable Economy codes using miles are Y B R L U M E Q and X.
BrightlyBob is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 17, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
lme30005
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks I'll have a good look at that
Old 23 Feb 17, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
lme30005
Apprentice Imagineer

There's 6 of us x 6000 miles which means £36 off each. Makes it harder when there's 6 people to book flights for
Old 23 Feb 17, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
loola30
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by lme30005 View Post
There's 6 of us x 6000 miles which means £36 off each. Makes it harder when there's 6 people to book flights for
Oh gosh yes, didn't realise it was for 6 of you. Will make things trickier.
Old 23 Feb 17, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
lme30005
Apprentice Imagineer

On the V-flyer ticket code website I found, says Q and E can't be upgraded either Haven't found any tickets with codes that I can upgrade yet. Is it best to book over the phone to find the right code tickets - can they tell you that when you book?
Old 23 Feb 17, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
loola30
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Give Flying Club a call. They have always been so helpful for me 😊