Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 21 Feb 18, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Dream bigger
Getting Excited

Disney or Universal first

Hi all.

Myself and 3 kids. We did Disney end of last year and loved it. Now planning our next trip, this time to include Universal too. Kids will be 10, 8 and 7.

My plan is to do Disney for the first 11 nights and then Universal for the last 3 nights.

Questions:
Will 3 days at Universal be enough?
Any reason to do Universal before Disney or do Universal in the middle of Disney?

I thought Universal after Disney as we have done Disney already and if we went to Universal first, the kids might love it so much that they want to stay there over Disney and then Disney will be overshadowed? I'm thinking the rides are more exciting at Universal so keep the best rides until last?
Dream bigger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 12:37 AM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

I once did Universal at the end of a trip in 2014 and decided after that that I would never do Universal at the end of a trip again. Universal is fun and the rides are good, but for me it really lacks the "magic" that Disney has. (We had aggressive timeshare selling people inside the Universal parks, multiple Universal TMs who didn't have a clue what time the parks closed, and other Universal TMs who just didn't know/didn't care when we were trying to find out things. It was such a contrast to Disney where the CMs were cheerful, and would try their best to find out things if we asked. And the very unobtrusive DVC people whom you would never even notice unless you were paying attention. The Universal TMs in the Harry Potter areas are pretty good though.)

These days, if I do Universal, I tend to do it in the middle of a trip as a day trip from Disney...
Old 22 Feb 18, 01:26 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

At that age they will love universal more than Disney - at least that's our experience

As you suggested ours don't even want Disney now, they'd rather have more time at the shops/pool/universal

They still enjoy Disney when dragged there, but given a choice they'd miss it out entirely
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 04:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

We do universal at the end as we go late August and that works best price and crowd wise.

Universal pricing and crowds are affected more by the US school holidays I’ve found so makes sense with our dates to use that to our advantage.

If you stay in a universal hotel with express passes you’ll easily get everything done in 3 days. Without passes I’d say it’s still doable depending on when you're going.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 07:29 AM  
Link to this Post
mrs_dlw
Excited about Disney

Mobile

For us, Universal is by frbour favourite and we would save the best for last. On our first trip we had Universal in the middle for two days, then went back to Disney, totally rearranged our plans and spend more time back at Uni. Apart from Animal
kingdom, I don’t really enjoy the other Disney parks and my two children (10 and 8) were quote underwhelmed by them! x
Animal Kingdom Lodge / RPR - October 2015
mrs_dlw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
electo
Imagineer

universal first

done that 3 times on the trot just because the busy park guide said it was recommend

this time its
IofA
epcot
AK
then MK on the 5th day there
2012/16/18 rosen inn at pointe orlando
2024 storey lake villa
electo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
BellaBess
Getting Excited

Mobile

We tend to do split stays the 1st year we did 7 nights i drive them 7 nights disney and said would not do it that way around again as the rides at disney felt not as good as had rode the bigger coasters at universal week before
BellaBess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

We do Universal in the middle of a 2 week holiday, but don't do Disney at any particular time, just spread out with days at other places too.

We always stay in an Express Access hotel so the stay is like a mini holiday in the middle of our holidays. With the express access you get on ride after ride after ride with very little wait. Kind of spoils Disney a bit though, going back to queuing afterwards...
WhereIBelong is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Suffolk dad
Very Serious Dibber

We normally do Universal for a couple of nights at RPR in the middle of our trips, but this year we’re changing it up a bit and having 3 nights at the start of the trip.

We have a villa so won’t be paying for accommodation that we won’t be using, and we’re not doing the Disney parks this year so wanted to make the most of the first few days of jet lagged early starts.
Suffolk dad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 18, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

We are a family of 4 aged 38, 36,17 &13. We are staying at cabana bay and have 14 day 3 park universal passes. We are doing MK and Epcot as we missed Epcot last time and MK was so amazing that we want to go back to see what’s changed since 2013. We might try to get a day AK too but we are much more suited to universal hence our booking to stay at universal hotel 😊. Just chat with your family and make your decision, I don’t think you will regret going to US and IOA at all no matter when in your holiday you decide to go.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List