Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Oct 20, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
ncmurray
Imagineer

Drinking tap water...

When I was growing up, we would never drink tap water from the cold tap in the bathroom, and I have no idea why.

Is there any reason not to? Do you use tap water from your bathroom tap?
Old 20 Oct 20, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
fluffychicken
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We were the same. I think it was because we had a water tank in the loft so it was only the kitchen that had a fresh supply.
fluffychicken is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 20, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Originally Posted by fluffychicken View Post
We were the same. I think it was because we had a water tank in the loft so it was only the kitchen that had a fresh supply.
Correct for most people
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 20, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by fluffychicken View Post
I seem to think it’s definitely to do with the water tank. If you don’t have a water tank, then you’re ok to drink it. (I think- don’t take my word for it- I don’t want to held accountable for an upset tummy!😅 ) We don’t have a water tank and if I’m desperately thirsty in the middle of the night, I have been known to sneak a sip from the cold water tap in the bathroom.👍🏻
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 20, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
ILoveDaveLamb
Imagineer

I was told ´it has chemicals in it‘?

No idea...
Old 20 Oct 20, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Is the cold tap on the bidet Ok?

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 20, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ILoveDaveLamb View Post
I was told ´it has chemicals in it‘?

No idea...
More probably older systems had lead piping. That and the storage tanks where there could be anything from bacteria to dead rodents in it.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 20, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Your cold water supply has to be direct from the mains. Drinking water is not allowed from a tank. That's why some work places have signage up to say do not drink.

Aty parents it always tasted colder from the bathroom tap rather than the kitchen. It could be due to lead pipes but realistically there should be no lead either. (Speak to your water company about free lead replacement to where it enters your property).

To check, turn your water off at the mains (stop tap) and run the cold. If it stops its mains fed (as it should be) and safe to drink.

If your cold isn't mains fed call your plumber.

Edited at 03:52 AM.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 20, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ncmurray View Post
When I was growing up, we would never drink tap water from the cold tap in the bathroom, and I have no idea why.

Is there any reason not to? Do you use tap water from your bathroom tap?
It depends on your plumbing. If the taps are fed from a water storage tank, then dont drink it (have you ever seen in a tank more than a year old. Yuuuuk.

If there is direct mains plumbing, then no problem - drink away.
tspill is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 20, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

To check, turn your water off at the mains (stop tap) and run the cold. If it continues its mains fed (as it should be) and safe to drink.

This is the wrong way round. Turn your stop cock off, if you cold water carryings on flowing its from a tank. Your stop cock is stopping mains fed water coming into your house.
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List