Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Oct 20, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Blue nose View Post
If you have a hot tank in airing cupboard you'll likely have a tank in the loft to fill it. It's how that hot water system works. That's why you don't drink from the hot tap.

Houses don't have storage for the cold water taps.
The vast majority up until recent times do have cold water storage water tanks. Normally it is only kitchen and outside taps are direct mains. Others in the likes of bathrooms fed from the tank.
tspill is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

If you have a hot tank in airing cupboard you'll likely have a tank in the loft to fill it. It's how that hot water system works. That's why you don't drink from the hot tap.

I dont have a tank in the loft for my tank in the airing cupboard
Old 21 Oct 20, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by tspill View Post
The vast majority up until recent times do have cold water storage water tanks. Normally it is only kitchen and outside taps are direct mains. Others in the likes of bathrooms fed from the tank.
I agree.

We have just ripped out the old boiler so ditched the cold water tank in the roof and the heating expansion tank.

That cold water tank was elevated about 5ft up on a trestle to boost the pressure.

It fed the cold feed to the bath, sink and bidet. The loo was fed by main.

For the 34 years we have lived here without fail I got up, went to the bathroom, used the loo and rinsed my mouth from the cold tap. Never hurt me!

The tank is still in the roof as it's too big to get out so it will take at least a year for the 1" of sludge at the bottom to dry out. Then I can cut it up.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

We have a cold tank in the loft and hot water tank in airing cupboard. I refuse to give up on my airing cupboard even though the poxy tank had to be replaced after developing a leak. We have mains water in the kitchen and upstairs in the electric shower.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

When we changed the boiler the other year we changed from tank in the loft to mains for the upstairs. However, we had lived here for 30+ years and not come to any harm.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by JAF View Post
When we changed the boiler the other year we changed from tank in the loft to mains for the upstairs. However, we had lived here for 30+ years and not come to any harm.
Exactly. Plus even if people with tanks don't drink the water they still brush their teeth in it.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I look at it like water "abroad", you can clean your teeth in it but not drink it. It's all in the swallowing.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

I was told the same. I’ve definitely done it on odd occasions though when I was younger. Too tired to go downstairs in the middle of the night 😂
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkerBabe
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We recently had our boiler replaced, they removed the airing cupboard tank and we have a combo boiler, much smaller, in its place. Does that mean we don’t have a tank in the roof? In any event, I love the water from the cold bathroom tap, often have a long drink in the middle of the night! It’s always much colder than any other tap in the house!
TinkerBabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
Thanks I never knew that and have owned/lived in about 10 houses (all older) and none have ever had a cold tank.

Definitely worth turning it off at the mains to check if you are unsure. Drinking non drinking water can make you really ill.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List