Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 24 Jan 18, 04:25 AM  
Link to this Post
animal 1970
Dibbing with Tink

Chicago Airport

Hi can anyone please tell me what immigration is like at Chicago is it really busy like MCO or pretty straight through thanks
animal 1970 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 18, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch-fishguard
Apprentice Imagineer

Went there Sept 2016 for a week. Through in about 10 minutes. Great !
mitch-fishguard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 18, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Wembleygal
Imagineer

Wembleygal's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
One Christmas, it took over an hour and a half, but it has now improved.
Wembleygal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 18, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Although as an airport it's busier than Orlando it is far bigger and better designed so isn't as crowded as Orlando can be and obviously passengers are more mixed (e.g. Not the vast majority are holidaymakers) so it is usually very quick to get through. I've probably entered the US there twelve times and never encountered really stroppy immigration or customs officers. Some are friendlier than others .
One trip going through security at Chicago the woman in front of me had full size bottles of shampoo etc in her hand luggage. The officer explained nicely that she couldn't take them and although she didn't get upset with him she was unhappy to lose them all. He checked them all , kept two for show, looked around to make sure his supervisor wasn't watching ... and threw the rest quickly back into her bag and waved her through I don't think that would ever happen at Orlando !

Oh and if you buy nothing else at the airport buy the famous Chicago Garrett popcorn. It is amazing .

As for time getting through, best ever was 20 minutes (hand luggage only) worst was an hour, compared to Orlando where my worst was four hours ! (I've avoided direct to Orlando ever since and never regretted it)

Edited at 11:39 AM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 18, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post

Busiest between 2pm and 4pm, so it depends when you land, time of year and how long you have got between connections. You'll need to get from terminal 5 to terminal 3 as well.

Edited at 11:41 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 18, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by paulfaz View Post
Busy between 2pm and 4pm, so it depends when you land and how long you have got between connections. You'll need to get from terminal 5 to terminal 3 as well.
Easy hop on the monorail though and you will only have hand luggage . Plenty of places to grab something to eat if the plane food wasn't great and remember the Chicago to Orlando leg is buy on board only so better and cheaper options at the airport. I usually buy a sub to eat on the domestic flight.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 18, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
joxxxxx
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

I think Chicago can be very variable (or used to be)- when we went a couple of years ago we were 2 and half hours to get through immigration (and we were in PE so first off the plane)- it was awful. Around the same time other people were saying they got through in 15 minutes.
joxxxxx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 18, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Pookle
Apprentice Imagineer

I went last year and it took a good hour to get through, though by far the worst thing was the absolute age it took from landing to getting off the plane.
Old 25 Jan 18, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
andylad
Very Serious Dibber

Last time i was there it was fine . I think things are improving all the time at most ports of entry.

andylad
andylad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List