Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 25 May 17, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
CaliforniaKid
Helping Mickey

Indirect via Philly - questions?

Hi everyone

Considering another family holiday to Orlando next spring.

Virgin direct would be preferable but indirect flights with American Airlines via Philly are almost 50% saving (which practically pays for Disney tickets)

However, unsure on whether there's adequate time (2 hours, 5 mins) between connecting flights with immigration inspection, possible delay with first flight, etc.

Another issue is that my children would be 7 and 4 when travelling. I'd love to know if anyone with similar age kids have done indirect flights... what's your experiences been like?

Thanks!
CaliforniaKid is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 17, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Toria_dee
VIP Dibber

We're going in-direct via Philadelphia on a few weeks. We've never been before so have nothing to compare it to.

It was much cheaper than any direct carrier from Glasgow, but the downside is our flight from Glasgow does t have personal inflight entertainment and has shared TV screens throughout the cabin instead. Not a major issue as the kids will use their iPads/read books/chat etc. My kids will be 12, 8 & 5.

Our connection time is 2hrs 15 mins, I'm not too concerned about this as BA wouldn't have let me book it on their website (flydrive booked with BA but AA flights out on a code share) if it didn't meet their minimum connection times.

On the plus side you'll arrive into Orlando as a domestic passenger so can grab bags and go without immigration et al.

xx

DLP Cheyenne 1999, Day trip 2001, DCR 2011, Cheyenne 2014, DCR 2015, DCR 2023
Lapland Dec 2024
WDW Dibb villa July 2017
First time on-site CSR March 2025
Toria_dee is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 17, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie Mum
Imagineer

Mobile

We are doing this with a 4 and 9 year old in October! We have a longer connect ( 4 hours I think) and arrive at Orlando around 9pm so we are staying overnight at the airport.
Interested in responses and can update when we have done it!
Minnie Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 17, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
jengibbo
Excited about Disney

We connected through Philadelphia in 2014 with a 2 year old and 6 yr old. It was straightforward apart from the fact we didn't realize that our buggy needed collecting at the plane and not the baggage carousel . We flew indirect via Newark this Easter and again n straight forward.
jengibbo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 17, 05:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Wappum
Excited about Disney

We did in last month with 3 kids (13,8 and 2). Had a 1hr 55 connection. Walked straight up to an empty immigration desk and even with some issues over my sons ESTA we were through in 10 mins

We did only take hand luggage so can't comment in the collection and dropping off of suitcases - and it was a bit of a trek from Terminal A to C but we had enough time to grab lunch in the food court and still sat at the gate for 30 mins

I'd definitely fly via PHL again
Wappum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 17, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
susie
Imagineer

susie's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

We where due to do Manchester to Philly today but our flight was cancelled had a anxious wait to find out if we could go but we are now going via Iceland, so just a warning about going indirect

susie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 17, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
storm
Imagineer

DD & friend did that route last year. They are doing it again this year as it saved a load of money & they had time to grab ice-cream
storm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 17, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by susie View Post
We where due to do Manchester to Philly today but our flight was cancelled had a anxious wait to find out if we could go but we are now going via Iceland, so just a warning about going indirect
To be fair any flight can be cancelled though.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 17, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
We're doing Philly outbound and Miami return (Heathrow flights), from what I've read it's a good airport for transfers compared to others like JFK/Chicago.

We have just under 2 hrs connections which will hopefully be ok (had sub 2hrs before in Atlanta and they were fine).
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 17, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

We did it in 2013, not with small children, DS was 16 at the time. But with a 2 hour 5 min changeover we managed fine and were sat at the gate for a while before boarding. I would definitely do this route again with the grandkids when we go in 2019 if it there was such a significant price difference, they'll be 10 and 5 by then.