Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 18 Jan 18, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Minnie18 View Post
Hi Mick,
I just read all of Emma's NY report. It was fab. Lovely photos and great advice. We are massive foodies so loved all the good pics. I will deff be trying the salad box they look amazing.
I'm sure that Emma would appreciate it if you put a post at the end of her trippy so say that you enjoyed it.

Mick
Old 18 Jan 18, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Team Jeans
Imagineer

We went in October 2016 (14th) and it was scorching (mid 80s). That said, I also went on 9 November 2017 and it was freezing. My kids were 12 and 9 and loved it. We stayed at the Waldorf and were really handy for Central Park. The kids loved doing pokemon Go. Obviously there is the zoo there, (Madagascar) and the Natural History Museum is nearby (near Strawberry Fields), again the kids loved it, especially as it's so like the Night at The Museum.

Hop on/off Bus Tour is a must- I'd suggest a 48 hour one - gives you plenty of time to do lots of attractions, both Uptown and Downtown. Look at getting NYC pass.

Food- we loved Pershing Square, on 42nd St at Grand Central Station, for breakfast. Juniors for Cheesecake, John's, just off Times Square, for Pizza. Rule of thumb is only eat at places displaying an "A", avoid "B" or "C"- all Enviromental health ratings.
Old 19 Jan 18, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
mummymud
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

We have booked the Hyatt Centric Times Square through booking.com with free cancellation if we change our minds. I’m off to read Emma’s trippy now.
mummymud is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 18, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

I will have a wee look at your hotel. Thats great you have free cancellation. I have booked through an agent. not sure how easy it would be to change. Enjoy your read its fab.
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 18, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks Team Jeans.
I forgot all about the Zoo and natural history museum. I will pop the 48 your bus on my list. Where can i get the NYC pass? Thanks for the heads up on the food ratings.
Old 19 Jan 18, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
mummymud

I had a look at passes on attraction tickets direct but there’s so many different things to choose from.
mummymud is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 18, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Your hotel looks amazing Mummymud. Have a look at ours and let me know what you think. it's the Walcott. Aww I know we don't know what to do becouse there is so much.
Old 20 Jan 18, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
mummymud

It looks great Minnie18, very central too. Love you can grab a wee coffee and muffin to start you off in the morning! I’ve had so much great advice from the members on here when planning my Florida trips and reading all the trip reports, i’m sure it will be the same for this one to NYC.
Old 20 Jan 18, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
beegnjasmum
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Hi, me ,DH , DS 12 and DD 8 were in ny Oct 13th - 19th 2017. It was amazing.
We stayed across from madison square gardens, really central for everything. The weather ranged from cool with fog and drizzle to high 20s and sun as the week went on.

My kids particularly loved central park, we went round in 2 of those bike trailer things (sorry can't think of what they're called ). We did that for 90 minutes and the guys taking us stopped at all the main tourist spots and let us out to take photos etc. It was brilliant.
Also did natural history museum, new world trade centre (fantastic), top of the rock, the rockefeller ice rink opened whilst we were there too my DH and DS skated for an hour.
Do either of your kids watch say yes to the dress? We walked down to kleinfeld which is the shop it's filmed in (I love the show and it was only 10 mins away).
I thought the flatiron building and area was beautiful, there's a lovely Italian food area which is huge just across from the flatiron building. Think its called eataly, had a Nutella bar inside fab crepes etc but also loads of other gorgeous food.

Have a great time planning.

Ps we used the subway no problems and took the train from the airport into Manhattan. Very quick and easy as had been advised a taxi would take forever in the traffic.
beegnjasmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 18, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

We stayed at the Distrikt Hotel. Recommend it for nice accomodation and staff. Also good central location.

We bought the NY Pass. That gives a lot of choice. Part of the Pass is a Food on Foot Tour. Basically you choose an area or theme that you would like. We did the East Side. We had 6 stops 4 savoury, 2 sweet at various places, some of which you would probably walk by usually. Good bit of history and chance to try things.

On top of the Pass we booked a visit to the One World Observatory which we really enjoyed.

I also recommend the Big Apple Greeter. A New Yorker shows you around parts of New York and gives a bit of local perspective. The service is free, but you can pay a contribution online to help keep it going.

Edited at 02:00 PM.
tocpe321 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List