Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 27 Jan 18, 02:05 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile Area to stay in Barcelona

We are fairly new to city holidays. Our first was to New York last summer, and to our surprise, we really enjoyed it.

So we decided to try other cities, and Barcelona appeals to us. We have researched extensively, but we are a little concerned about the pickpocket issue the city seems to have. We live in the countryside so are not particularly streetwise. We have read all advice, and still want to visit this beautiful city.

We have read that Eixample is a good area, safe and central to all the sights. However, a friend of ours has booked Mountjac and will be using the train/subway to go into the main area this year as hotels are cheaper in this area. However, we read that Sants train station is one of the most likely areas to be affected by pickpockets, and to get to the city from Mountjac Sants would be regularly used.

From safety, ease of visiting attractions and generally nice place to stay, which area of Barcelona would anyone recommend? TIA 😀
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 18, 07:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

We usually stay in El Poblenou in apartments - the last two times in Lugaris Beach apartments (booked direct on their website). The apartments are large and nicely done and have a car park which for us is essential as we drive there (we live in the south of France). It is then either a 20 minute walk along the promenade to the main area or a 5 minute walk to the metro. The area is more residential and less touristy.

Pickpockets are a real problem - when on the metro (or going down to the metro) don't leave your backpack on your back. Double zip any valuables. Just be sensible. Barcelona is a fabulous city and well worth visiting! Don't let the pickpockets put you off!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 18, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
We usually stay in El Poblenou in apartments - the last two times in Lugaris Beach apartments (booked direct on their website). The apartments are large and nicely done and have a car park which for us is essential as we drive there (we live in the south of France). It is then either a 20 minute walk along the promenade to the main area or a 5 minute walk to the metro. The area is more residential and less touristy.

Pickpockets are a real problem - when on the metro (or going down to the metro) don't leave your backpack on your back. Double zip any valuables. Just be sensible. Barcelona is a fabulous city and well worth visiting! Don't let the pickpockets put you off!
Thanks, I haven't looked at this area at all, I will check it out today. I presume this is closer to the beach area of Barcelona but 20 mins walk to centre? That could work well for us.

The pickpockets did put me off at first I admit, but we have said we will not take more cash than necessary out with us each day and be careful as you suggest.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 18, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Thanks, I haven't looked at this area at all, I will check it out today. I presume this is closer to the beach area of Barcelona but 20 mins walk to centre? That could work well for us.

The pickpockets did put me off at first I admit, but we have said we will not take more cash than necessary out with us each day and be careful as you suggest.
It is right on the beach! There is a nice promenade to walk along!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 18, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
We stayed at the jazz hotel which is really central. We could be at las rambles and placa de Catalunya in minutes. There were also coffee shops and newsagents close by which was really handy and a metro stop a few metres away. We even found places to eat that we could walk to in the evening. We loved Barcelona!
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 18, 05:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile

Any main city has pick pickets. New York would be as bad as Barcelona so let it out you off.

We stayed on Las Rambles and walked everywhere. Just eat and drink off the main strip to save lots of £
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 18, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks everyone, it is reassuring to hear you all enjoyed Barcelona. I do realise all cities (or even towns) are target areas for pickpockets, and we can only try to make sure we keep our belongings as safe as we can. But it is nice to hear of recommended areas and hotels as the choice seems so bewildering 😀
Old 27 Jan 18, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
tifab
Excited about Disney

tifab's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We’ve stayed at the Novotel Barcelona city which has a rooftop pool. There’s is a tram stop right outside and a short walk to the metro. Tram down to the beach is only a short trip.
We were aware of the pick pocket reputation before we went. Didn’t have any issues or problems when there. Just like going to London in that keep an eye on whats going on around you , don’t get distracted and keep rail / metro ticket away from wallet so you don’t have to take the wallet out of a safe pocket. Enjoy! 😃
tifab is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 18, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
CazB
Very Serious Dibber

CazB's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 11
We have been going to Barcelona at least once every year for the last 10 years. It is our favourite city for a short break.

I would agree with others and Eixample is the area I would recommend that you stay in.

We usually stay at Hotel Jazz. Its less than a 5 minute walk to Las Ramblas and Plaza Catalunya and very close to a metro stop.

Before we discovered the joy of Hotel Jazz we used to stay at HCC branded hotels. Can recommend HCC Montblanc (on a street parallel to Las Ramlas) and HCC Open (a little further out but close to 2 metro stops and is about a 20 minute walk to Las Ramblas.

There are other good hotels that are part of the same chain as Hotel Jazz that may be worth a look also - Nunez Navarro.

On the pickpocket issue - yes it does happen but be sensible, be aware of your surroundings and you will be fine.
2019 - Portofino
2023, 2024 - RPR
CazB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 18, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
ynwa2009
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by tifab View Post
We’ve stayed at the Novotel Barcelona city which has a rooftop pool. There’s is a tram stop right outside and a short walk to the metro. Tram down to the beach is only a short trip.
We were aware of the pick pocket reputation before we went. Didn’t have any issues or problems when there. Just like going to London in that keep an eye on whats going on around you , don’t get distracted and keep rail / metro ticket away from wallet so you don’t have to take the wallet out of a safe pocket. Enjoy! 😃
Oh we're staying here soon, Can I ask how you got to the hotel from the airport? Is it easy to get around, the more I look into it the more I seem to get confused, with the tram,bus,metro, and paying for it all

Thanks
ynwa2009 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List