Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 29 Jun 16, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
MikeC1964
Very Serious Dibber

Read this thread with interest.

So as a refresher course for some of us:

Prepay
Advantages: You don't need to worry about finding gas straight after getting off the plane.
Disadvantages: You may pay a (slight) premium for the gas, having to fill up on the way to the airport and/or if you're not careful you may get a charge if they think the tank isn't quite full on your return.

No prepay
Advantages: You are in control of how much you pay for the gas.
Disadvantages: You have to find gas when getting off the plane (subject to how much is in the tank I guess), danger of running out of gas on the way to the airport or losing the cost of the gas still in the tank you haven't used.

Does that just about cover it?
Old 29 Jun 16, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Chris106
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

All the cars come with a full tank,so you either take it back empty if you prepay or full if you don't prepay👍
Chris106 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 16, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
champagnegirl26
Imagineer

champagnegirl26's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by MikeC1964 View Post

Prepay
Advantages: You don't need to worry about finding gas straight after getting off the plane.
Disadvantages: You may pay a (slight) premium for the gas, having to fill up on the way to the airport and/or if you're not careful you may get a charge if they think the tank isn't quite full on your return.

No prepay
Disadvantages: You have to find gas when getting off the plane (subject to how much is in the tank I guess), danger of running out of gas on the way to the airport or losing the cost of the gas still in the tank you haven't used.

The tank is always full on collection regardless if you pre pay or not. The difference is you take it back empty on pre pay or full on no pre pay.

June 2007 Masters Inn hotel Kissimmee
June 2008 Disney resort tour
May2009 Oak plantation villas
May 2010 Pop century
May 2014 Dibb villa
Aug 2016 Dibb villa
May 2018 Dibb villa
May 2019 Cumbrian lakes villa.
champagnegirl26 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 16, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by MikeC1964 View Post

Prepay

No prepay

This is all wrong I'm afraid. Try this:

Prepay.
Car comes with a full tank.
You pay a slight premium for gas. It's just a few cents extra a gallon. You don't worry about filling up on way back to off hire as you return as empty as you wish. There is no charge for returning empty.

Non Prepay. (Or return full)
Car will always be full on collection, you do not need to fill up on departure from hire depot. Upon return you fill up at a distance that the car will show full on return. There will be no charge for fuel. If you do not fill it up, you will be charged a service price for the rental company to fill it up which will be very expensive.

All rental cars are generally supplied full in FL. Think of Alamo. You pick a car from the line, so Alamo won't know whether you wish to prepay or not until you get to the exit. So car has to be full

Hope that confirms it. Tom should be along soon to confirm.

Edited at 03:17 PM.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 16, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
MikeC1964
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks for the information. At the end of the day there's not really a lot to choose between wither option. I wish I could remember what I did in 2014 !

Suspect I will go with prepay and avoid the faffing about on the last day.
Old 30 Jun 16, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
RobertWestwood
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
I think the only thing to add is that if you choose the return full option, and for some reason you don't, the fuel price is considerably higher.

Plus you need to watch where you fill up, as there are a few garages, especially on the route back to MCO, who are charging much higher prices and not exactly making that clear.

Like Tom, for the sake of a few dollars, I always opt for the return empty option. cost me just over £30 this year, and I had to put $40 in the car... great having all that power but the average miles per gallon is scary !

She is much more intelligent than me
RobertWestwood is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 16, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
rsvdaz
Apprentice Imagineer

to add to the pre-pay -as it so cheep I don't worry if the car goes back with a little more than fumes -not worth fretting about if your going to make it or not
rsvdaz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 16, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
married2mm
Imagineer

married2mm's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
I be just read through this thread

Fellow Geordie also-glad you got your dollars back op.

I have to confess-I still don't know whether best to return full/empty or somewhere in between.
married2mm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 16, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread