Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 27 Jul 17, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Imagineer

they probably keep the same cars but the updated model, unless the manufacturer scrap it for a new brand
thatdavieguy is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 17, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Luke Jaywalker
slightly serious Dibber

Hi , if you can please give me a bit of advice . There are six of us four adults and two children .Our dates are 9th October to 12th November 34 nights . Our pick up and drop off times would be about 5pm from Orlando International Airport . I have had a look at Alamo brits and it is coming out at over £1500 for a seven seater dodge caravan ,whereas easycar.com are quoting the same car at £1148 via Alamo .I have always booked my car hire direct with the car hire company before so am a bit wary that by booking via a third party when I arrive there will be extra costs involved . What car/people carrier/suv would you recommend ? Thank you

Edited at 02:41 PM.
Luke Jaywalker is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 17, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post

Your dates on discountfloridacarhire.co.uk (link in yellow box near the top of this page) gives £1123 for minivan through Alamo.

Same dates on usacarsrental.com gives £996 for the same, minivan through Alamo.

Both include all the required insurances.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 17, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Luke Jaywalker
slightly serious Dibber

Thanks Apocalypse , I am trying to find out if anyone has used this company before usacarsrental.com ? I haven't heard of it before .
Old 2 Sep 17, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Ming
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 19
I have found a good price with virgin holidays. I have not booked flights or holiday with them but their website does have an option for car hire only. Alamo Brits want 1181 for a standard SUV for 3 weeks next July but on the virgin holidays website it is £658.81. Well worth a look.
Old 2 Sep 17, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Luke Jaywalker
slightly serious Dibber

Thanks we are flying with Virgin ,I just tried looking but they only go up to 28 nights and when I tried that just see it said no availability for your dates .
Old 4 Sep 17, 12:38 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Luke Jaywalker View Post
Thanks Apocalypse , I am trying to find out if anyone has used this company before usacarsrental.com ? I haven't heard of it before .
We used them to book a Tahoe from Alamo out of Miami in October (not long to go now...). You get two emails when you book, one with a reference number from them and receipt for your deposit (which is refundable - you can cancel right up to a day or so before), the other contains a link to your rental voucher. When you open this, there is a "Supplier Reference" number - if you go to Alamo's website you can enter your name and this number and confirm the booking yourself.

My parents used them to book a vehicle from Alamo out of San Francisco a few months ago, they had no problems (apart from caving in to the old "your luggage won't fit, you'll need a bigger car" upsell...).

But if you're concerned, Discount Florida Car Hire are very competitive, and have overwhelmingly positive feedback here.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 17, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Luke Jaywalker
slightly serious Dibber

Thanks, after doing a bit of research I phoned Andy (Discount Florida Car Hire) on Sunday afternoon and booked with him .He was very helpful and it was an easy process
Old 7 Sep 17, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
iang27
Getting Excited

Just been to Florida flying into Miami with the car, a Mid suv through Alamo.
Chose a Mitsubishi Outlander which was the worst driving car on the motorways that I have even had.

The steering was fine in 30mph areas but on the motorways at 70mph the steering became very vague and it wandered all over which meant you had to constantly correct it which made it very tiring driving 230 miles to and from Orlando.

I will pick anything but one of these next time.

Alamo charged £34.90 for the fuel and £14.85 for all the tolls which I just drove the Sunpass lanes.
iang27 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 17, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Luke Jaywalker
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Ah yes! That's a question I wanted to ask. Do I have to stop at the tolls and pay cash or can I just drive straight through the sunpass lanes without informing Alamo beforehand and they will just take the correct money from my Credit Card? I don't want to get in any trouble and have penalties charged to my card from driving through the wrong lane.