Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 15 Apr 18, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Abbysmum
Apprentice Imagineer

I got back from NY last week, cost wise a yellow cab from JFK to Manhattan is a set cost of $52 + tolls + tip. We paid $70 in total. On the way back I booked GoAirlink Shuttle and this was $40 however I think it's per person (2 of us). I'm not sure if the set cost is the same from Manhattan to JFK though.

Breakfast wise we just went to Starbucks $5 coffee/$3 muffin. On near enough every corner there are food carts, bagels/muffins in the morning and hotdogs the rest of the time.

Cash wise I took $500 and this included the taxi fare from JFK and we only ate out twice, Applebees $60 and a random diner $50.

We booked Top of the Rock tickets in advance as we wanted to go at twilight. If you want to go in the crown at Statue of Liberty they sell out way in advance as there are only 400 each day.

If I think of any other tips I'll let you know!

Edited at 06:20 PM.
Abbysmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 18, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
JohnD
VIP Dibber

Try the Heartland Brewery 'chain'. From what I remember, there are only 3 or 4 of them and they all have different menus.

It is hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead.
JohnD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 18, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
lam
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Abbysmum View Post
I got back from NY last week, cost wise a yellow cab from JFK to Manhattan is a set cost of $52 + tolls + tip. We paid $70 in total. On the way back I booked GoAirlink Shuttle and this was $40 however I think it's per person (2 of us). I'm not sure if the set cost is the same from Manhattan to JFK though.

Breakfast wise we just went to Starbucks $5 coffee/$3 muffin. On near enough every corner there are food carts, bagels/muffins in the morning and hotdogs the rest of the time.

Cash wise I took $500 and this included the taxi fare from JFK and we only ate out twice, Applebees $60 and a random diner $50.

We booked Top of the Rock tickets in advance as we wanted to go at twilight. If you want to go in the crown at Statue of Liberty they sell out way in advance as there are only 400 each day.

If I think of any other tips I'll let you know!
I am trying to decide whether or not to get goairlink shuttle to JFK or get a taxi from Manhattan (Beacon hotel near upper west)to JFK.
Is that $40 per person for a single ride from manhattan to JFK? That sounds expensive compared to the flat rate +tip and tolls for a taxi!.

its my sons 21st and i'm so worried we'll run out of cash there.We have a small kitchen and i'm thinking of buying snacks/brekkie items in orlando or at the airport to bring to new york as our flight will be 'domestic' coming from orlando.

3/01-Sheraton 4 Pts & WDW Contemporary.7/07-DLP Sequoia. 3/08-WDW Pop & POFQ. 7/08-DLP Sequoia.4/09, 3/10 & 4/11-WDW AKV, 7/11- Doubletree@Seaworld & AKV -03/12, 3/13- WDW AKV 8/14 [I]Cabana Bay,OKW & AKV.07/15-BVP,BLT & AKV07/17-POR,BLT & AKV.07/18-AKV-Jambo,Cabana Bay Beach, Beacon Hotel,New York..07/20TRIP CANCELLED- 10/21-Cheyenne,DLP-7/22-AKV, Coronado & Poly.12/23-AKV, POR,BLT &ASM
lam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 18, 01:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Mrs dee
Imagineer

Mobile

We try and budget £1000 for five days
And too many canary/Balearic island visits to list
Mrs dee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 18, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Hallowishes
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lam View Post
I am trying to decide whether or not to get goairlink shuttle to JFK or get a taxi from Manhattan (Beacon hotel near upper west)to JFK.
Is that $40 per person for a single ride from manhattan to JFK? That sounds expensive compared to the flat rate +tip and tolls for a taxi!.

its my sons 21st and i'm so worried we'll run out of cash there.We have a small kitchen and i'm thinking of buying snacks/brekkie items in orlando or at the airport to bring to new york as our flight will be 'domestic' coming from orlando.
Hi, we’ve not long been back and we got a taxi from JFK into midtown Manhattan, it was very easy, we came out from collecting our luggage and it was right there, the main taxi rank by the exit doors. You wait till they say the number to go to outside and your taxi is right there. It’s a set fee plus tips/tolls for all Taxi’s so we paid $75, that’s one way though so you need to keep aside money for the way back. It does say at passport control to not go to anyone else asking if you want a taxi, you only go to the main black and yellow taxi area that’s cordoned off. I didn’t really see much for buses/airport links i’m afraid. We just went with the easiest option and I’m glad we did 😊

Holiday Inn LBV 2000, Cancun 2000, DLP Disneyland Hotel 2002, Atlantis-Bahamas 2002, Wyndham Orlando 2003, Sheraton Safari 2004, 2006, Disney's Port Orleans Riverside 2007,2009,2010,2011,2013 & 2014 & 1nt.at Y&BC & CR, New York 2018, DLP Sequoia Lodge 2024.
Hallowishes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 18, 12:38 AM  
Link to this Post
lam
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Hallowishes View Post
Hi, we’ve not long been back and we got a taxi from JFK into midtown Manhattan, it was very easy, we came out from collecting our luggage and it was right there, the main taxi rank by the exit doors. You wait till they say the number to go to outside and your taxi is right there. It’s a set fee plus tips/tolls for all Taxi’s so we paid $75, that’s one way though so you need to keep aside money for the way back. It does say at passport control to not go to anyone else asking if you want a taxi, you only go to the main black and yellow taxi area that’s cordoned off. I didn’t really see much for buses/airport links i’m afraid. We just went with the easiest option and I’m glad we did 😊
Hi thanks.
We just booked passes with 'sightseeingpass' and 1 of the 'attractions' we can chose is the return goairlink shuttle to JFK! got a great discount and $40 credit toward another attraction (we chose esb) so really pleased.
Just need to sort out newark to our hotel and we're all set.
don't think i'll be budgeting £1000 for 5 days though. Thats a fortune!

3/01-Sheraton 4 Pts & WDW Contemporary.7/07-DLP Sequoia. 3/08-WDW Pop & POFQ. 7/08-DLP Sequoia.4/09, 3/10 & 4/11-WDW AKV, 7/11- Doubletree@Seaworld & AKV -03/12, 3/13- WDW AKV 8/14 [I]Cabana Bay,OKW & AKV.07/15-BVP,BLT & AKV07/17-POR,BLT & AKV.07/18-AKV-Jambo,Cabana Bay Beach, Beacon Hotel,New York..07/20TRIP CANCELLED- 10/21-Cheyenne,DLP-7/22-AKV, Coronado & Poly.12/23-AKV, POR,BLT &ASM
lam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 18, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
f1girly
Imagineer

I'm looking at getting Flex passes from sightseeingpass tomorrow, glad to hear someone else has used them.
f1girly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 18, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
ems35
Apprentice Imagineer

do the taxis outside the airport fit 5 people plus luggage? or will we have to pre book something
Old 28 May 18, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Hallowishes
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ems35 View Post
do the taxis outside the airport fit 5 people plus luggage? or will we have to pre book something
I’m not sure but when we were there the other week there were all different sizes, there was 3 of us and 2 suitcases and hand luggage, we were in a normal sized car but there were bigger ones. We had a nice older Chinese guy who was quiet but that was nice as we were able to take it all in and talk between us. It’s quite a long journey from the airport but it passes in no time. Very easy to see the taxi area when you come out and very organised.

Holiday Inn LBV 2000, Cancun 2000, DLP Disneyland Hotel 2002, Atlantis-Bahamas 2002, Wyndham Orlando 2003, Sheraton Safari 2004, 2006, Disney's Port Orleans Riverside 2007,2009,2010,2011,2013 & 2014 & 1nt.at Y&BC & CR, New York 2018, DLP Sequoia Lodge 2024.
Hallowishes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List