Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 27 Apr 17, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
TEL N KEL
Imagineer

Originally Posted by g1970 View Post
We've booked the same and I can tell you now my other half won't accept either (we've had a jeep in the past and he struggled with the leg room/steering wheel position as he's really tall)

Starting to stress about collecting the car now
If you stand your ground politely you will have no problems.

No the differences in the car sizes before you go that way you can say that boot is not the advertised size ect.

Do not let the rep help you load your luggage as they will force it all in and say there you go.
Old 27 Apr 17, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
TEL N KEL
Imagineer

Originally Posted by amandajane10 View Post
My OH is tall so so neither will be suitable for us either plus we have a disabled son with a special pushchair!
None of this matters to the alamo reps when they are running low on cars.
The only way to get what you paid for is knowing the rights and wrongs.
If you can prove you are not being supplied with a or similar then stand your ground and point out the facts.

There are cars arriving all day so just wait or ask for something to be brought round.
Old 27 Apr 17, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
mousemad
Imagineer

mousemad's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Got a really good deal last August & booked an SUV with Alamo through Netflights. The code is IFAR so i'm presuming thats an intermediate SUV, on the booking it says 'Mitsubishi Outlander' or similar. This year theres only 2 of us (so far) but we like all the bells & whistles, reversing camera etc... I wouljd be really grateful if someone couljd let us know what car they got in this category.

In 2015 we had a right carry on when we went to collect our car., we booked a full size for 4 of us, but then more family joined our holiday (why does this always happen to us) so we book a compact as well. When we got to the garage, the guy didnt seem to have a clue what he was doing & directed us to a row & DSIL to the row next to us for the compact. DH picked a big car from our row & the guy said we couldnt have that one & it had been put in the wrong row. So we picked something else, loaded our bags, then he said 'you could have had the other one'!
In the meantime DSIL had picked a car for them, loaded their bags in & then the guy came up & said the same thing to them. So they unloaded everything, picked another car & guess what, he then said 'oh you could have taken the other car'. The other car was bigger but they couldnt be bothered re-loading everything again so kept the smaller one. Dont know wether he was new or not, but he didnt seem to have a clue what he was doing?

Warning, please take note. I know most people prefer to take their fuel option of returning empty but we like to return full. I've lost count of how many times we've returned the car to have a bill for the fuel handed to me even thought we said we would being it back full. Had to go to the booth in the garage & get it taken off,
SO PLEASE EXAMINE YOUR PAPERWORK WHEN COLLECTING BUT ALSO WHEN RETURNING.
Where they got us was when we were stressed when the guy couldnt make his mind up which car we could have & when we stopped at the exit booth the guy in there asked if we wanted the fuel option & I said no & I told him no for the other car as well as I had hired it. when we looked upon returning the car he had stamped 'fuel option' on it so please check carefully on exit. I complained to the manager when we returned the car as this has happened to us a few times & she couldnt apologise enough.
'18 Madeira beach*'17 Vero beach*'16 40th wedding trip*'15 Siesta Key,Barefoot*'14 Lilli&Joe 1st trip*'13 Cruise,Ft L'dale & AMI*'12 Barefoot,AMI*'11 12go2c Harry*'11 DH B'day Cruise*'10 Barefoot*09 Ft L'dale,Kissimmee*07 Big50,Orlando,Cruise*07 Barefoot*06 Kissimmee*05 Orlando*02 San Diego,Vegas,LA*99 San Diego,Vegas,LA*93 Kissimmee,Clearwater*90 Orlando*81, Ft L'dale,KeyWest,Orlando
mousemad is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 17, 12:07 AM  
Link to this Post
linder
Imagineer

linder's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
What do these codes mean IFAR etc
linder is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 17, 06:13 AM  
Link to this Post
johnmcmaster
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by linder View Post
What do these codes mean IFAR etc
If you Google car hire codes, the details should pop up as the 1st search. It's to do with the size, transmission, fuel etc. In reality, you only need to worry about the 1st digit as that is the car size / category. I is intermediate, W is standard, Z is large in SUV etc.
johnmcmaster is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 17, 08:28 AM  
Link to this Post
steph1
Imagineer

steph1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Stitchfan626 View Post
I'm following this with interest as have also booked an intermediate SUV... I'll let you know what I end up with on Friday!
Waiting with baited breath to see what Stitchfan ended up with - hope it was good news
steph1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 17, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Stitchfan626
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Hi everyone! We have a car!

There were no intermediate SUVs left at all so we got a free upgrade to a standard SUV.

We picked the Hyundai Sante FE sport (possibly mainly for the colour haha) and are very impressed!

And I managed to drive it to AKL without incident! Driving was much easier than I thought it would be.

I was thoroughly impressed by Alamo. The lady was very helpful and even helped me install the car seat (which they aren't supposed to do).
1995 WDW (offsite) , 1998 DLP (Newport Bay Club), 2001, 2002, 2003 DLP (Hotel Hew York), 2004 WDW (offsite), 2005 DLP (Hotel Hew York), 2007 WDW (Grand Floridian), 2008 DLP (Hotel Hew York), 2011 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne), 2015 DLP (Hotel Hew York), May 2016 DLP (Newport Bay Club), December 2016 DLP (Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest Room), April 2017 WDW (Animal Kingdom Lodge), June 2019 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne), August 2019 DLP (Vienna Dream Castle), December 2019 DLP (Magic Circus)
Stitchfan626 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 17, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
steph1
Imagineer

steph1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
So happy to hear you got there ok and that you got a fab car. Hope you have an amazing holiday, thank you for taking the time to answer us
steph1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 17, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
TEL N KEL
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Stitchfan626 View Post
Hi everyone! We have a car!

There were no intermediate SUVs left at all so we got a free upgrade to a standard SUV.

We picked the Hyundai Sante FE sport (possibly mainly for the colour haha) and are very impressed!

And I managed to drive it to AKL without incident! Driving was much easier than I thought it would be.

I was thoroughly impressed by Alamo. The lady was very helpful and even helped me install the car seat (which they aren't supposed to do).
Good news
Old 30 Apr 17, 07:52 AM  
Link to this Post
jmchessy
Earning My Ears

Last year there was 5 of us and we paid for a standard SUV and got a Buick Enclave - Premium crossover (6 seater).

This year there is only 4 of us so could only justify an intermediate, however hoping we'll end up getting a standard SUV.

Are there separate rows at Alamo MCO for intermediate and standard ?
jmchessy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List