Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 6 May 17, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post
florida_2012
Excited about Disney

Up early on first morning

Most flights from Dublin, either direct or indirect, arrive into MCO at around 6pm. Assuming the pre clearance has already been done in Dublin there is still the time to disembark, get luggage, get hire car and drive to hotel picking up a few bottles of water on the way. Arrival at the hotel would be about 8.30 at the earliest. Plus grab a quick meal to share. This is about 1 or 2 AM UK time.

Is it always the case that you wake early the next morning?
We are hopefully planning an early start at MK with a breakfast ADR but wondering, given the long travel day before, is this doable to be up and ready to go for 7am?

We went in 2012 (offsite) but I can't remember what time we woke the first morning.

We're 2A and 2C, 9 and 5 who are both good sleepers. They normally sleep to 7 weekdays and maybe half hour later at weekends.
florida_2012 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 17, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I'm always awake by 5am latest on the arrival morning. My teenagers can now power through and sleep forever though!
Old 6 May 17, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
firsttimemouse
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

We landed at a similar time to that and had a be our guest adr at 8 am the first morning. The kids are 11 and 7 and they were fine.

I found that we were fine doing early adrs the first few mornings but my younger one struggled in the afternoon and evening for quite a few days. I would definitely suggest taking it really easy afternoon/evening for a while.

It also helped making sure I was fairly clear about what we needed in park bags etc when packing here. On the first night there I just quickly chucked all the packing cubes in the chest of drawers and got the park bag all ready for the morning. We turned the lights out about 10.30 so 3.30 am uk time. I did think at that point we were mad to try and get to mk for 7.30 am but I'm very glad we did now.
2018 DLP Newport bay
2019 DLP Newport bay
firsttimemouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 17, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
mooray27
Excited about Disney

We landed in the afternoon but checked in, ate, unpacked and went to the park. I made myself stay awake until 11PM but still woke up at 3AM and couldn't get back to sleep. Everyone else managed to sleep until 5AM. We had an 8AM reservation and were starving by the time we got there.
mooray27 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 17, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

We landed at 5.30pm and got to ssr by about 8.30pm
We were up at about 5am the next morning
We went to mk but I did an early lunch adr at bog
It actually worked quite well.
We left the park straight after and everybody had naps
We were still really tired at dinner tho
Kids were 3 and 3 months

We got bagals the night before for breakfast in the room. Knew ds wouldn't wait until 8am for food after being up at 5am

Edited at 10:35 AM.
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 17, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Kazeroo
Excited about Disney

Yes you'll definitely be awake - you'll start flagging early afternoon - we always book 1st day character breakfast at Crystal Palace as early as possible - normally 8.10 - we love the first day! 😊
Kazeroo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 17, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post

We were delayed and didn't get to the villa until 23:30 ish, still up and in the pool just after 05:30 kids were 8 & 6 at the time
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 17, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
gemma-lou
Imagineer

gemma-lou's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Funnily enough DH and I always get up at 5am in uk to go gym first thing so we can come home and shower then go to work. So needless to say the day we arrived to mco, got car and drove to hotel it was about 6pm. (11pm) we sat by the pool for a couple of hours then drove to Walmart and went for a meal. We went to bed at 10.30pm (3.30am) and... yep you guessed it woke up at 5 am. So we went to the resort gym. Got the boys up and went to pander is a for a breakfast before heading to universal
2008 - enclave suite - 2010 All Star Sport - 2017 Avanti Resort - 2018 Royal pacific and miami - 2022 Polynesian and Royal Pacific - - February 2024 family trip to Universal Dockside - November 2024 Universal Aventura & CSR DisneyWorld
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/signaturepics/sigpic28388_47.gif
gemma-lou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 17, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

Originally Posted by florida_2012 View Post
Most flights from Dublin, either direct or indirect, arrive into MCO at around 6pm. Assuming the pre clearance has already been done in Dublin there is still the time to disembark, get luggage, get hire car and drive to hotel picking up a few bottles of water on the way. Arrival at the hotel would be about 8.30 at the earliest. Plus grab a quick meal to share. This is about 1 or 2 AM UK time.

We are hopefully planning an early start at MK with a breakfast ADR but wondering, given the long travel day before, is this doable to be up and ready to go for 7am?

We went in 2012 (offsite) but I can't remember what time we woke the first morning.

We're 2A and 2C, 9 and 5 who are both good sleepers. They normally sleep to 7 weekdays and maybe half hour later at weekends.
its not always the case.
We had an indirect flight and very long travel day when we went to Orlando a couple of years ago (one adult, 2 teenagers). Due to storms in the area, we were delayed getting off the plane at MCO airport by around 3 hours, so it was after 10pm US time before we left the airport to go to our onsite hotel. I had planned that we'd all naturally be up early the next morning due to time difference etc, so I had, before the travel day, planned for us to be up and out ready for the MK opening show and a bit of EMH. When we arrived at our onsite hotel we were hungry and exhausted, so we got a (huge) pizza from the quick service restaurant and headed to bed. We didn't set alarms, and we woke the following morning at around 8am US time.

To be honest, none of us woke mega-early on any of our Orlando mornings.

Edited at 12:37 PM.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 17, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by florida_2012 View Post

You have to think what they would do in England if you kept them up till 2am, and then let them lie in as long as they like. Your body clock wakes you up earlier than you'd like, well mine does. Even if they would then lie in until 11am, you knock the time difference off and that's 6AM US time. Throw into the mix some adrenaline, some excitement and I'd absolutely say you're good to have a breakfast ADR.

I know some people like to stay awake on arrival, but if I do that I, sleep for a few hours, then lie awake staring at a ceiling wishing I was still asleep from about 3am US time. Couple that with a reduced sleep the night before we travel, and I start my holiday knackered.
After plenty of practice and experimentation, I'm now a firm believer in sleeping my first night mostly on a UK body clock. I go to bed at about 7pm US time if I can. If we arrive before 7, I might get a bite, but if it's later than 7pm local time, I don't bother with a meal or anything, I get in the room and go straight to bed. It's when my body wants to sleep. I then wake up at about 4AM well rested. I get up, unpack, go for a swim and am still ready to hit Magic Kingdom at the crack of dawn.