Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 17 Aug 17, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
brwhy
Serious Dibber

I had exactly same problem with AVIS, booked though BA. I checked the little receipt in the garage and noticed charges for Fuel and extras. I went to the booth in the garage and got them to take off the extras, that I hadn't agreed to, and they reduced the fuel charge. However the fuel charge was still extortionate as the needle was just below full.
brwhy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 17, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
fizzypop
Imagineer

Well DH has rung Avis and spent an hour on the phone. Basically, he was told he had ticked the boxes for additional insurances when he signed up to Avis Preferred. We have had this for about 4 years and is certain he didn't and we have used it before without being charged anything extra. He was then told to log onto his account to check. He did this and sure enough he hadn't ticked any boxes. They then checked his account and agreed nothing was ticked but accused him of unticking them when he checked his account.

He is furious. He asked to talk to a supervisor who agreed with the first person that my DH must have changed his account and they wouldn't take it further and that was the sum total of their customer services. Basically it is now their word against his. We can't believe it.

Next step is the credit card company when he gets home from work.

PLEASE CHECK ALL YOUR PAPERWORK BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE GARAGE EVEN IF YOU HAVE PREFERRED. They can still get you even if you don't go to the kiosk.
fizzypop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 17, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
SiandAm
Imagineer

We left on Weds and had exactly this. Are you still there OP?
we got no where before hand, we were told lots of different things
Firstly, that BA would pay on return and not to worry
Secondly, that we had agreed to an upgrade, checked the ticket it stated standard SUV, vehicle charged standard SUV.
Then when we returned the car the printed receipt had charges of almost $700.
DH went straight to the preferred desk in the garage not the terminal. She said we had agreed to LDW insurance. Luckily we still had our original voucher, so he got it our and it stated everything inclusive including LDW. He asked her why he would pay for an insurance he already has. The lady couldn't disagree and refunded there and then.

So my advice is don't worry now, enjoy your holiday but on return go to the desk and demand the charge be taken off, have your pre paid stuff to hand. Hubby didn't get cross, just gave her the facts. Good Luck!

PORS 1995 Grand Floridian 1997 CBR 1998 ASMovies2002/2004Cumbrian lakes 2005,6,8,10,11,12,13,14 & 15 NYC/disney '12 AKL 2007 OKW 2009 2012Ellie hunts tour CBR 19
cumbrian lakes2016,17,18,19,22 2019 ASMovies 2022
SiandAm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 17, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
sannyysan
Getting Excited

We've also been stung - I'm absolutely furious too.

For us though theres nothing we can do, after a long flight we were kept waiting 2 hours for our car. One hour in line and an hour because our car was not even back!

So because my hubby was fed up, tired and it was now on computer flicked through the screen and asked the representative that he had only been charged for fuel! yes sir of course sir.

I wanted to complain about the time they were kept there but no we are on holiday stop moaning

Come home to a credit card bill of £159.00 tried complaining but like others they said he had agreed at the airport.

They have agreed to refund $77 dollars as a goodwill gesture. I have also complained to BA but again they said its your responsibility to check. I'm ususally there too but took my daughter on the magic express as we had my sons friends with us and we couldnt all get in the minivan with our luggage

Please please beware

1998,1999,2000,2004,2006,2008,2009,2011, 2013, 2015, 2017 2019 Holidays with the Mouse!
sannyysan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 17, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
fizzypop
Imagineer

Thanks, we are home now unfortunately and didn't realise anything had happened until we noticed the extra charge on our credit card. We should have checked but as we have used them before and everything was fine and the way they just give you receipts as you are leaving and trying to sort out kids and cases, we didn't notice.

Avis couldn't get the charge to add up to what we had be charged and nor we so they offered to refund us $1.38

Edited at 06:23 PM.
fizzypop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 17, 06:20 AM  
Link to this Post
blodders
Apprentice Imagineer

This is all a bit concerning as we fly in 3 weeks. Until now all the feedback I had about Avis was quite positive. Is it all computerised in the garage now or do you still physically sign paperwork? Years ago we were always advised to write " no extras agreed or to be charge for"' across our paperwork before signing. Is this still possible/acceptable?
blodders is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 17, 07:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Gems09
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by blodders View Post
This is all a bit concerning as we fly in 3 weeks. Until now all the feedback I had about Avis was quite positive. Is it all computerised in the garage now or do you still physically sign paperwork? Years ago we were always advised to write " no extras agreed or to be charge for"' across our paperwork before signing. Is this still possible/acceptable?
Very interested in what has to be said about this as we have got an avis vehicle booking. Its first time I've booked my own car and I'm so worried it if goes wrong it will kick off our holiday badly
Gems09 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 17, 07:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Ryles
Imagineer

Mobile

We fly tomorrow and are using Avis for the first time, usually use Alamo and have never had any issues with them. Very concerned now! 😕
Old 19 Aug 17, 07:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Gems09
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ryles View Post
We fly tomorrow and are using Avis for the first time, usually use Alamo and have never had any issues with them. Very concerned now! 😕
Know how you're feeling but try not to let it worry you. The dibb will come up with a plan for us not to get stung I'm sure of it! My mum and dad have always used alamo too so thats all im used to but i booked mine and husband's car this trip its first time we are having our own vehicle so all the more scary xx
Gems09 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 17, 07:48 AM  
Link to this Post
blodders
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by brwhy View Post
I had exactly same problem with AVIS, booked though BA. I checked the little receipt in the garage and noticed charges for Fuel and extras. I went to the booth in the garage and got them to take off the extras, that I hadn't agreed to, and they reduced the fuel charge. However the fuel charge was still extortionate as the needle was just below full.
Are they quite quick at sorting it out or do we need to factor in extra time when returning to airport to allow for this?
blodders is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List