Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 May 18, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Kiddlywinks
Excited about Disney

I've just renewed and changed my DS's passport from a child to an adult one.
Did it online, including picture renewal, on the Wednesday, sent his old passport back on the Thursday.
They received it on the Friday, was processed after that weekend, he received his new passport on the following Saturday, so 10 days from start to finish.

Doing it after your Paris trip would make sense to me, in case of any issues that may arise, either way, I highly recommend the online system, cannot fault it
August 2022 - Disney's 50th for sure
Kiddlywinks is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 18, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Melissaur
Earning My Ears

Originally Posted by paulfoel View Post
Thanks everyone - to clarify I KNOW I need a new passport and ESTA. Aware of that and could have applied around xmas time BUT I didn't.

I can't do it now because I need passport for paris in 3 weeks time. Yes it might come back before then but its cutting it fine.

After I get back from Paris its 8 1/2 weeks till florida so should be no problem I guess. Anyones ever take longer?

I just wanted to know if there was any way to renew NOW and still be able to use passport for paris?
If you want to renew now before you fly to Paris, I'd say your safest bet would be to go to the passport office and wait. They can then issue you with your new passport the same day but you do need to book an appointment (to the best of my knowledge)

There is also one week fast track available on the Gov.uk website!

Walt Disney World - 2001, 2003, 2005, 2012 & 2015

Next trip planning has begun for Disneyland Paris 2024

Edited at 12:45 PM.
Melissaur is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 18, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by weeleighluigi View Post
Honestly! It drives me crazy!

We live in a little town and our post office tells people they need 6 months. I always tell people it's not true then end up sending them the links. Lol.
I just made sure again with Thomas Cook, as I have heard airlines can be fussy. My daughter's passport runs out 2 and a half months after we come back and I will admit, I have a 1 percent wobble on it even though I know im right. I have the UK gov printout and also my chat with Thomas Cook printed out in case anyone dares challenge me! Lol!
The thing is that some countries do demand 6 month's grace on a UK passport and the USA also do for visitors from some countries.

Sadly some TAs take the easy way out and tell everyone that every visitor to the USA needs 6 months grace. Not surprising that most people tend to trust the DIBB rather than a TA.

Mick
Old 22 May 18, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by blusteryday View Post
You've taken on my old job there Mick
Rob

Care to ask a question about an IDP? Good old Gov. Rick Scott was on TV every 5 minutes while we were there. Must be election time.

Mick
Old 22 May 18, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
blusteryday
Imagineer

blusteryday's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 12
Guidebook Photos: 8
Mobile

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Rob

Care to ask a question about an IDP? Good old Gov. Rick Scott was on TV every 5 minutes while we were there. Must be election time.

Mick
Hahaha - now you're talking

Before hitting that "Submit Post" button, re-read what you've typed and consider:
Is it true?
Is it kind?
Is it helpful?
Is it necessary?
blusteryday is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 18, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
weeleighluigi
Imagineer

The thing is that some countries do demand 6 month's grace on a UK passport and the USA also do for visitors from some countries.

Sadly some TAs take the easy way out and tell everyone that every visitor to the USA needs 6 months grace. Not surprising that most people tend to trust the DIBB rather than a TA.

Mick
Ah yes, I know... I recently turned in to a detective for my friends flight to Australia. If she was flying Glasgow to Australia direct, she wouldn't have had to replace her daughters passport, however, due to them stopping in Dubai, she needs 3 months Grace period, this is specific due to it being that they are staying in the airport and getting a connecting flight. If they step foot out the terminals, she would in fact need 6 months.
I do apologise for seeming frustrated as I realise some people are told the wrong info or know rules from a while back and I genuinly do apologise for any offence I cause, I understand these rules are sometimes complex.
weeleighluigi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 18, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Mick
I'm rarely on the side of travel agents but on this one I can see why they say what they say.

It is always true for any country that you will be allowed in if you have the correct visa / passport and 6 months left on a passport.

It isn't always true that less than six months will be OK (it is if you have a UK and some other passports) but rather than get someone denied boarding it is safer to use the line they do.

It's not correct but it's better than giving out information that could actual stop people from being allowed to travel
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 18, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
blusteryday
Imagineer

blusteryday's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 12
Guidebook Photos: 8
Mobile

Originally Posted by Guest View Post
I'm rarely on the side of travel agents but on this one I can see why they say what they say.

It is always true for any country that you will be allowed in if you have the correct visa / passport and 6 months left on a passport.

It isn't always true that less than six months will be OK (it is if you have a UK and some other passports) but rather than get someone denied boarding it is safer to use the line they do.

It's not correct but it's better than giving out information that could actual stop people from being allowed to travel
This is true and fair. And usually the caveat is: "some countries require passports to remain valid for a minimum period after the date of entry to that country (usually six months)...check with the relevant Embassy for the latest information..."

It's when a TA changes that to: "you must have a passport with at least 6 months validity..." is when the confusion starts.

Before hitting that "Submit Post" button, re-read what you've typed and consider:
Is it true?
Is it kind?
Is it helpful?
Is it necessary?
blusteryday is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 18, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by blusteryday View Post
My Dad managed to fly to Dublin on his driving licence a few years back (as the silly old devil had left his passport at home), but it took quite a few phone calls from the airline to Dublin and a lot of pleading to get him permission.
Dublin is marginally different as it is part of the Common Travel Area and therefore there are other rules and legislation that can be used. Anywhere outside that and a passport is needed.
sparklegirl is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 18, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Jaybeez
Imagineer

Jaybeez's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by paulfoel View Post
Says three weeks but I can't see any specific current wait time?
My son recently renewed his passport, the wait time was listed as 3 weeks, but he received his new passport in just over a week.
Jaybeez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List