Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 6 Jul 14, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Mobile

We had hired cars five times and were still done for extra insurance on our sixth when booked through a TA. Since then I've always booked DIY and know exactly what I've booked.
Old 6 Jul 14, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Liv
Helping Mickey

Last time was my 15th trip and I still got conned by Budget. I saw the extras at the side, asked about them and was told they wouldn't be added or charged to my card. I was still dubious about signing but thought as I'd asked and been told I wouldn't be charged all was ok - WRONG!

It cost me almost £300 on my credit card. I complained to Budget and managed to get half of it back as a goodwill gesture. Never again!

And I know what you mean about being embarrassed - there were eight of us on the trip and I just kept it to myself as I was seen as the "expert"!

Edited at 08:24 PM.
Liv is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 14, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by skindogg View Post
Been coming to Florida for years and I just got caught by Budget - cant believe I did not see this - hopefully this warning will help someone else

Rented with Budget last night at MCO. Sylvia the rep was lovely. No hard sales, handed me the agreement said 'initial here, here and sign here'.

Woke up this morning, checked the document and she had added on Personal accident and lots of other insurances and I stupidly signed the document.

Have to say she started flirting with me just before I signed telling me my glasses were cute. Can't believe I fell for it.

Called Budget this morning and they agreed to take it off but just be careful - I have been renting for years and always think I know to look out for these things but this time i fell for it and am embarassed about that.

Don't let them rip you off!
I think this is admirable, that you put your unnecessary embarrassment to one side to warn others. Thank you skindogg

It doesn't have to be at the counter you are caught out. Budget applied an unpaid toll to my hire last November... apparently I went through a toll in Orlando... strange really as the car had been parked outside Pine Island Pool, 160 miles SW or Orlando. I spoke to a nice lad who said he would get the proof (good luck on that one I thought), sure enough when I called back 4 weeks later there was no proof to be had - apparently Sunpass didn't supply the photo... really? So, how did Budget know to apply an unpaid charge to one of their cars with the transponder turned off with no photo and tag number? Guess my contract number came out of the hat that day. I didn't see any point in pushing them regarding a blatant lie and, in my opinion, taking a borderline fraudulent sum of money from my account, no point, their agent knew I was another 'victim' of shady practices and promptly replaced the funds in my cc account.

Until some official body stands up and takes these car suppliers to task for these repeated errors and omissions these practices will continue, especially as their staff are trained to obtain as many extras for their own commission as they can.
ChrisS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 14, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Originally Posted by kabooooooom View Post
I've been told by a few members on here that you can go straight to the garage/kiosk with Budget also, as long as you've registered through usrentacar. I registered last night and ticked that I didn't want any extras above what I've already paid. Could any recent Budget renters confirm or deny my information please?
Yes you can do this, we did it a few years ago with budget.

But you must still double check all your paperwork , we've used Dollar Express a few times now (which is Dollar's version of what your hoping to do with Budget) and last year they tried to sneak a $144 charge onto the paperwork... We only got the paperwork as you go to leave the garage but fortunately i won't leave without checking it first and noticed the charge so we had to go back and get it removed.

So the moral is no matter how you collect you car check and double check your paperwork.
daytonababe is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 14, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
gforce_iom
Imagineer

gforce_iom's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Dollar tried this with me when I swapped our car half way through our recent 12week stay.

I spotted it straight away though... had the advantage over them this time since I had not just come off a long haul flight... only driven from Davenport!

I think we should start a campaign by all writing to their OFT equivalent... only then may something get done about these dubious sharp practices.
1991-96 4 Trips~1997x1~1999x1~2001x1~2004x1~2004/2005x3/2006x2/2007x3/2009x2/2010x2~2011 Westridge Villa~2012 Highlands Reserve Villax3~2013 Hampton Lakesx2~2014 Hampton Lakesx2~2015 Hampton Lakesx1~2017 Sunset Ridgex2~Rosen Shingle Creek~2018 Sunset Ridgex1~2018 Rosen Shingle Creek~2019 Sunset Ridgex1 Hampton Lakesx1 Calabay Parcx1 2020 Highlands Reservex1 2022 Calabay Parcx1 2024 Hunters Creekx1
gforce_iom is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 14, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
brhrar
Imagineer

brhrar's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Thanks for posting as all warnings about the car hire con-men/women are hopefully one more step to get their underhand and underhand tactics stopped when everyone is made aware.
Great you got the rip-off person's name. I like to ask them to put their name on the rental agreement so I can add it to the review I'll post on their website ;-).
2014 Dibb Sunset Lakes 2015 Sunset Lakes 2016 Windsor Palms 2018 Clear Creek 2019 Dibb High Grove
brhrar is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 14, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Visited The US for over 25 years now & rented cars in many places with all the rental companies.
Budget at MCO are the only ones who have added on extras after being told repeatedly we did not need or want any.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 14, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Bobbins
Imagineer

Bobbins's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Dazed View Post
Don't be embarrassed, we had EXACTLY the same thing happen to us with Hertz last August. After travelling all day, indirect flights and a half hour wait for the car, we signed at the gate and left. Check ed the documents as soon as we got to OKW and personal accident insurance among other things had been added on without our permission. We also had it refunded as I called up straight away grrrrrrr!
Same with us with Hertz last year. She asked if we wanted personal cover and enhanced breakdown and we said NO - but they were still on the contract.

Unlike the OP, I didn't notice until we took the car back and was presented with a bill that wasn't $0! Got it back in the end, but took a bit of a battle.

We also got billed later for fuel for another car - I got a copy of the invoice and it had been booked out in my name! That got refunded quickly though. Oddly I got the Gold Club points for that rental and they were really high.

Enough is enough - rented from Hertz the last 3 times and had a problem each time so booked with Alamo for this trip.
Bobbins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 14, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

We've rented cars for years and Budget have been the only company who had issues. Last November it took a full hour to get our pre-paid car hire sorted at the garage kiosk. They presented me with a contract for over $300, so I politely explained it was a pre-paid voucher, and they informed me it wasn't the first time this happened (so why not correct it then Budget?). Eventually a lovely manager took control and had to ring Budget HQ who finally made a suggestion to solve it. Unfortunately I had a hire for much later in the holiday with Budget and encountered the same pre-paid voucher issue again... groan! Then she also said there was money to pay, until I advised her she was looking at £'s as $'s... oh yes, corrected that too. Add in the hassle to get the toll reimbursed and it was hard work with Budget.
ChrisS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 14, 12:05 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
I wouldn't use Budget again ever !

They tried to give me a lower class SUV than we had paid for, only claiming it was infact a free upgrade.
I let him carry on for a while and then pointed out as i owned a Ford Explorer in the UK i knew exactly what one was and what size vehicle it was and what he was offering us as a upgrade was a Int Suv not the full size we had paid for.

His manager wasn't much better either but 90 mins later they managed to find a full size SUV that. we had paid for...

I wonder how many people do get given the wrong class of car though and don't realise !
daytonababe is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread