Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 9 Feb 15, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Yorkshire_Dan
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by juneandpeter View Post
Is this the same imformation that says pick up the keys at the desk when we all know they are in the cars.

I just tried Alamo OLCI and nowhere does it say Skip the counter with my Ref number. Some people have been able to do this because the Ref number given is in the same group as Virgin Rental number and obtain a Bypass the counter ticket. For most of us this will not work.
Please explain what details you give to OLCI that you don't give when you do Savetime? I am glad you are are not saying you can't go straight to the garage because you can.
Have you actually fully read what I've said?

For the 3rd time... I'm not saying you cannot go straight to the garage as people have clearly been successful with this in the majority of the time.

What I, Pootle and the website are saying is that you must complete savetime/check in and skip the counter to enable going straight to the garage.

Pootle has already kindly confirmed that they were turned away because they didn't complete the skip the counter option.

Is it really that difficult to understand?

The link with instructions on Alamo's page is right here, clearly states this in black and white:

alamo/en_US/car-rental/checkin.html
Yorkshire_Dan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 15, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Yorkshire_Dan
Apprentice Imagineer

I think you will find it is just for Virgin/US customers. A brief History about 4 years ago Alamo and other renters gave US citizens the option of going straight to the car American's are not known for getting upgrades and they even have there own Insurance letting them go straight to the garage also help staffing levels.
Virgin Rentals got wind of this and did a deal called Bypass the counter. Under pressure Alamo intoduced Savetime other rental firms followed suit. All rental firms had a problem with the Kiosks not working well with British Driving licence Hertz having the biggest problems. Alamo would love all their customers to queue at the desk and buy upgrade they don't need or want.
I think you have read something from their website and believe it to be true.Having had more than 50 rentals I know this is not the case.
Why have I got emails then when I go through each part of the process telling me I should do these things?

I booked my car, I got an email confirmation with a link to savetime.

I completed savetime. I got an email confirmation of this and another link to online check in.

Completed online check in. Got a confirmation email with a new link to skip the counter.

Completed skip the counter. Got an confirmation email stating I can now go directly to garage and bypass the counter.

You really need to read their guidelines and how the process actually works, next time you might be turned away like Pootle was.

I'm not sure how a bit of friendly advice turns into the Spanish Inquisition with some people.
Yorkshire_Dan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 15, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Yorkshire_Dan View Post
Have you actually fully read what I've said?

For the 3rd time... I'm not saying you cannot go straight to the garage as people have clearly been successful with this in the majority of the time.

What I, Pootle and the website are saying is that you must complete savetime/check in and skip the counter to enable going straight to the garage.

Pootle has already kindly confirmed that they were turned away because they didn't complete the skip the counter option.

Is it really that difficult to understand?

The link with instructions on Alamo's page is right here, clearly states this in black and white:

alamo/en_US/car-rental/checkin.html
"What I, Pootle and the website are saying is that you must complete savetime/check in and skip the counter to enable going straight to the garage" This is because OLCI is the Virgin and US part of Alamo

How many times have you done Savetime

I have tried the link which I know very well and after logging in my details it tells me to go to the Kiosk or Desk " Explain"
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 15, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Yorkshire_Dan
Apprentice Imagineer

"What I, Pootle and the website are saying is that you must complete savetime/check in and skip the counter to enable going straight to the garage" This is because OLCI is the Virgin and US part of Alamo

How many times have you done Savetime

I have tried the link which I know very well and after logging in my details it tells me to go to the Kiosk or Desk " Explain"
I have done savetime only (not online check in and skip the counter) in the past and gone to the desk as the paperwork told me to.

Your paperwork is telling you to go to the kiosk or desk because you have not completed skip the counter!
Old 9 Feb 15, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post

I have done savetime only (not online check in and skip the counter) in the past and gone to the desk as the paperwork told me to.

Your paperwork is telling you to go to the kiosk or desk because you have not completed skip the counter!
I completed OLCI, Because my code is different it tells me to go to the desk or Kiosk This is because its not A Virgin or US code. This will happen to most people you were lucky.
Old 9 Feb 15, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Yorkshire_Dan
Apprentice Imagineer

I completed OLCI, Because my code is different it tells me to go to the desk or Kiosk This is because its not A Virgin or US code. This will happen to most people you were lucky.
I booked through Alamo/Brits.

If you log into your account using your ref number and surname there should be the skip the counter option on the right hand side once you have complete check in/savetime.

I presume you are going to MCO?
Old 9 Feb 15, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post

If you log into your account using your ref number and surname there should be the skip the counter option on the right hand side once you have complete check in/savetime.

There isn't as I said it works for you so you think its the norm but its not, I take it you have not done Savetime before. It has to be MCO you have to go to the counter at SFB. I also booked with Alamo Brits if you read other post its not the first time this has happened.
Old 9 Feb 15, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Yorkshire_Dan
Apprentice Imagineer

There isn't as I said it works for you so you think its the norm but its not, I take it you have not done Savetime before. It has to be MCO you have to go to the counter at SFB. I also booked with Alamo Brits if you read other post its not the first time this has happened.
Of course I think it's the norm because everything I've done coincides with the emails and website instructions.

I can only presume you have not done something you were supposed to.

Are you using Alamo.com or .co.uk to check in?

I used .com and everything is there as it should be.

And as I've said previously, I've done savetime before on other rentals but gone to the counter as the paper says I should.
Old 9 Feb 15, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post

Just a thought if you have been given a Vigin/US ref number would this not explain everything I have said.
Old 9 Feb 15, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Yorkshire_Dan
Apprentice Imagineer

Just a thought if you have been given a Vigin/US ref number would this not explain everything I have said.
I booked through Alamo Brits which is a .co.uk website.

I've no idea what is and what isn't a US ref number, all I know is that I booked a vehicle and I received an Alamo ref number from a UK website.

I just followed the proceedure as the emails and website instructions tell me to and here I am.

Pootle seems to know what I'm talking about.

Unless there's something different about the process when booking on a different version of Alamo that I don't know about then clearly you are doing something wrong to not have the skip the counter option.
Closed Thread