Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 9 Feb 16, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post

Everybody who has had a letter is merely "involved" by the fact that you made a rental from Avis / Budget since 2009 and they have pulled our names and addresses from those past records. I believe we should just sit tight and do nowt. We are governed by UK law not US so there is no come back on us whatsoever.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 16, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post
lindaj
Imagineer

Mobile Anyone else received a solicitor letter regarding insurance fraud

Hi today a letter arrived with regards to Avis car hire saying that they are being charged with fraud as they never took out the insurances they charged for. It's asked if my husband wants to waiver his rights to any claim or does he want to continue to wait for verdict. The only thing would be any money we paid for this insurance would be reimbursed. I'm Wondering if it's a hoax or not plus my husband died last year so I can't sign any documents anyway. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 9 Feb 16, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
June8th
Apprentice Imagineer

I have just done a quick google and the case does not come up.
I would think it is a scam. I cannot see that Avis would be taken to court and it not be reported in the papers.
Maybe someone else will know more.
My advice would be to ignore the letter.
June8th is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 16, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
It's definitely not a scam, it's listed in the court files and a lady on Facebook has spoken to the Clerk of the Court who couldn't divulge specific information but the case is listed with them. Pussycat
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 16, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
It's not a scam, the lawsuit is listed here:- law360/cases/51bb2751a4ea912d92009517
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 16, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Stco
slightly serious Dibber

Stco's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Received the letter today, will wait and see what happens.
Old 9 Feb 16, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
TheGrahams
Apprentice Imagineer

Received our letter today xx

Billy , Liz , Liam & Gemma
TheGrahams is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 16, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Grumpy&Happy
Imagineer

Yes, received a letter today. We're going to sit tight and see what happens!
Old 9 Feb 16, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post

Class actions are a feature of the US legal system but not something that happens over here (typically regulators deal with corporate bad behaviour here, witness all the bankers now in jail ).. You won't be liable for any costs however this pans out, but you should be aware that the lawyers will take a big cut of any compensation they win. That is why you are being offered the chance to opt out of the action, as you might want to make your own claim.

Of course nobody would do so where small sums are involved. You might get a small payout if the action succeeds, but in some cases the court decides other remedies are more appropriate. There have been cases where the large social media corporations have been obliged to pay some privacy body millions in order to monitor their behavior to prevent a repeat infraction, plus of course the successful lawyers also get a big payday. Then you look closer and you note that it was the privacy body that spotted the bad behaviour, and worked with the lawyers to find enough complainants to get the class action under way. As you follow the money you begin to see how things really work!

Don't put a deposit down on a new boat yet though. I once got 3 quid from the Google click-fraud action. Made my day that did.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 16, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
We got one today too.. Think we used Budget in 2009 at MCO.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread