Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 28 Jun 16, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Big Dog
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BGB View Post
NEVER prepay fuel. and take a pic of the fuel gauge when you drop it off.
Make a show of doing it when the agent is checking over the car. Walk round with him too keeping the pickup slip in view. They are less likely to "make things up" than if you were to be rushing to get your flight.
Why would you never pre-pay for fuel. The big bonus of pre-paying is you don't have to worry about a full tank and in reality it costs a few dollars more.

I don't pre-pay but thats choice as I like to pay for what I use rather than try and squeeze every last drop from the tank when returning empty. I should add the last time I filled up on the way to SFB with an Alamo rental I filled up just down the road on Lake Mary, when I got back to the car the gauge only showed 3/4 full and I explained to the rental agent, he jsu tsaid thats fine I'll mark as full and gave me a receipt with zero charges.
Big Dog is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 16, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
NEVER prepay fuel. and take a pic of the fuel gauge when you drop it off.
Make a show of doing it when the agent is checking over the car. Walk round with him too keeping the pickup slip in view. They are less likely to "make things up" than if you were to be rushing to get your flight.
Totally disagree with you.

Pre paying costs about $3 to $4 more and is the best way to go as they expect the car to be empty.
The only downside is they put a fe extra $ on for the airport user fee location. Small potatoes.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 16, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
rhino
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by MrsEgg View Post
rhino that sounds like a similar amount we had for the fuel/tax/surcharges etc costs from Alamo. What package did you book with them? We normally bring the car back empty rather than full.
We had to take the car back full and it was full
rhino is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 16, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
BGB
slightly serious Dibber

only time Prepay works is if you hand the car back with the fuel light on and running on fumes. If you can judge that on a strange car and live with the worry that you could run out of fuel on the way to the airport then go for it.
Most places you can fill up within a few miles of the airport and make it to the airport without the needle moving.
The money you "save" on prepay is actually lost in what you leave in the tank.

July 1980 - WDW Idrive hotel, Sept 1997 - DLC Anaheim Hotel, Oct 2001 - Universal Orlando Idrive Hotel, Feb & Jun 2007 - Disneyland Paris Disney Hotels, Jul 2012 - Terra Verde Villa and WDW Jul 2016 - Terra Verde Villa & Universal
BGB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 16, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
only time Prepay works is if you hand the car back with the fuel light on and running on fumes. If you can judge that on a strange car and live with the worry that you could run out of fuel on the way to the airport then go for it.
Most places you can fill up within a few miles of the airport and make it to the airport without the needle moving.
The money you "save" on prepay is actually lost in what you leave in the tank.
That's a very valid point I agree with you.
But I return a large saloon 3 times a year. I really cannot be bothered to fill it up, or worse still, forget to for the sake of a few $.
Over a year it probably costs me $25 maybe? Peanuts compared to my vacation cost.

But we all decide what is best for us.

Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 16, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Hope you get it sorted. This thread has just reminded me that as we're going to tampa airport we were going to add fuel on with save time bit I forgot. Can I add it on when we hand our licence and paperwork over when we leave the garage?
Orlando 2004 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 16, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Orlando 2004 View Post
Hope you get it sorted. This thread has just reminded me that as we're going to tampa airport we were going to add fuel on with save time bit I forgot. Can I add it on when we hand our licence and paperwork over when we leave the garage?
Yes you can. But as always check that's all they have added on!

Old 28 Jun 16, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
BGB
slightly serious Dibber

i suppose i am basing it on UK fuel costs too where a half tank of fuel is £20-30 not a few $. My company was never bothered about it but it always bothered me.

And as i saw it i could get a bigger car past the finance dept with no prepay fuel.

July 1980 - WDW Idrive hotel, Sept 1997 - DLC Anaheim Hotel, Oct 2001 - Universal Orlando Idrive Hotel, Feb & Jun 2007 - Disneyland Paris Disney Hotels, Jul 2012 - Terra Verde Villa and WDW Jul 2016 - Terra Verde Villa & Universal
BGB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 16, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
i suppose i am basing it on UK fuel costs too where a half tank of fuel is £20-30 not a few $. My company was never bothered about it but it always bothered me.

And as i saw it i could get a bigger car past the finance dept with no prepay fuel.
That's just reminded me of before I retired. The Company stopped us renting cars as a cost saving measure and instead paid us 48p a mile.

What a bunch of idiots. I used to make a fortune driving to a meeting in Newcastle every Month!

Old 28 Jun 16, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
BGB
slightly serious Dibber

Ours did that once too, take the car or a taxi if we were away.

They they go the bill for a taxi from Heathrow to Beaconsfield, then return trips from beaconsfield to Gerrards Cross every day then the return trip back to Heathrow.

They soon allowed the Car hire costs considering the weekly hire was less than the initial Taxi trip

Closed Thread