Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 27 Sep 16, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Thank you all for the great responses.

Waze appears to be online only, which seems somewhat backward in technological terms. I've just visited the Live map and I cannot see where I can create/import POIs or favourites. Any ideas?

NavMii I will check out, but also appears to be online only. Maybe not.

What I'd like is for a totally automated approach to this online/offline problem. It seems like a straightforward issue, and no doubt someone is going to be hailed a genius when they finally realise it

Originally Posted by Cannavar View Post
I used the Tom Tom in Vancouver and it was great, but when we were driving down to Seattle it wouldnt let me plot the route as US maps and Canadian maps are different map groups you have to load. I could plot to the border but would have to plot again and start the process all over again the other side. So I plotted it with Google maps on my new phone with data. I had downloaded the areas offline and it was so good I stopped using the tom tom. It knew the road works and bridge closure which the Tom Tom didnt and would always offer the fastest route.

If you have data then use Google Nav. Download the maps first to save on the amount it needs to download and speed of response and then away you go.

I bought a phone mount from ebay before we went. It did the job but my new phone was too heavy for it so I stuck it just high enough on the screen so it touched the dash to keep it up
I'm shocked the US and Canada are separate maps. That's crazy. I'm used to switching the UK out and the US in, and back again. Strange how the old TomTom One can fit both updated maps, but the latest TomTom needs an extra SD card for the US map.

I'm trying to lighten the load by not messing with a Sat Nav at all, but I'm in two minds. Hence my post here.

I've also read that the mounts are not too good. Don't fancy smashing my phone, or swerving off road as I involuntarily reach for it. The best I've used are beanbags, but stupid heavy to take abroad I feel.

Originally Posted by toonarmani View Post
Does that cover as far as Busch gardens and Daytona Beach/Speedway when offline?
HERE We Go works by downloading the maps in sections, e.g. Florida. So BG is covered. Alternatively you can use it online.

Sadly the collections feature doesn't provide an import/export facility.

Edited at 10:37 AM.
Forkbeard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 16, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
BigSkip
Imagineer

I've used Copilot sucessfully for the last 7 years, works for both US and Europe...

Off line maps.
BigSkip is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 16, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
fl-veteran
Imagineer

If you don't want to use data then Navmii or HERE are both good and free - just make sure you program in your villa / hotel destination as a favourite before you leave the UK. Also bear in mind that Google maps now has an offline feature so you can download your maps over WiFi, saving that expensive data.

If you're happy to use data then I wouldn't go past either Google maps or Waze - both owned by Google incidentally!
fl-veteran is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 16, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
fl-veteran
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Forkbeard View Post
I've also read that the mounts are not too good. Don't fancy smashing my phone, or swerving off road as I involuntarily reach for it. The best I've used are beanbags, but stupid heavy to take abroad I feel.
There are a few low tech options for mounting. I bought a mobile phone hanger in Walmart for $5 - it dangles my phone from the rear view mirror so my satnav app is right in view without me taking my eyes off the road. Alternatively you can get a vent mount cheap enough before you go or a small square of that rubber stuff they use to stop rugs slipping on wood floors and just lie it on a flat surface in the car.

Some cars even have screen mirroring so the ICE screen shows your satnav app if you plug a USB cable in. Don't ask which ones though - I have no idea...

The final option is to get your passenger (aka 'navigator') to hold it and give you directions, however this has limited success with Mrs fl-veteran...

Note that when you first get there your device might take an age (well, a few minutes anyway) to get a satellite lock. This is because the GPS system uses the last known location to speed up the process of working out where it is - if you've flown halfway around the world it takes longer as it has no estimated starting position.
fl-veteran is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 16, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Originally Posted by fl-veteran View Post
There are a few low tech options for mounting. I bought a mobile phone hanger in Walmart for $5 - it dangles my phone from the rear view mirror so my satnav app is right in view without me taking my eyes off the road. Alternatively you can get a vent mount cheap enough before you go or a small square of that rubber stuff they use to stop rugs slipping on wood floors and just lie it on a flat surface in the car.

Some cars even have screen mirroring so the ICE screen shows your satnav app if you plug a USB cable in. Don't ask which ones though - I have no idea...

The final option is to get your passenger (aka 'navigator') to hold it and give you directions, however this has limited success with Mrs fl-veteran...

Note that when you first get there your device might take an age (well, a few minutes anyway) to get a satellite lock. This is because the GPS system uses the last known location to speed up the process of working out where it is - if you've flown halfway around the world it takes longer as it has no estimated starting position.
Thanks for all the info in this and your other post. Much appreciated.

I'm thinking of something sewn that holds it on the steering wheel?!? Otherwise I'll take a chance with a cheaper holder online, something like you suggest.

I've installed NavMii and will try that too. HERE I'm impressed with. GM offline is too clunky.

OH hates navigating... and it always results in arguments

I think you're right about the GPS, and a buddy of mine thinks they make use of the cell towers too, which might explain the disconnect in some areas.
Forkbeard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 16, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by fl-veteran View Post
If you don't want to use data then Navmii or HERE are both good and free - just make sure you program in your villa / hotel destination as a favourite before you leave the UK. Also bear in mind that Google maps now has an offline feature so you can download your maps over WiFi, saving that expensive data.

If you're happy to use data then I wouldn't go past either Google maps or Waze - both owned by Google incidentally!

We didnt need to pre program anything with heremaps offline.
Hotel,parks etc. Found them all offline

Nothing but good for here maps and also dont have to fiddle changing maps.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 16, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
jimboy2
Apprentice Imagineer

You can't go wrong with waze. I use it at home and in Orlando. If there is an accident it will divert you a different route. Will tell you if there is police about and any other traffic issues.

DLP June 2017 Kyrad
Orlando February 2018 Celebration
jimboy2 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 16, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jimboy2 View Post
You can't go wrong with waze. I use it at home and in Orlando. If there is an accident it will divert you a different route. Will tell you if there is police about and any other traffic issues.
Traffic updates and diversion is the one key reason to stay online. With the Three "feel at home" there's no reason not to.

The problem comes when you go into areas that have no coverage. Unlikely to happen in Orlando though

I wonder if the TomTom SIM loaded Sat Navs support traffic updates stateside?!?
Old 3 Oct 16, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
fl-veteran
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Coupedummy View Post
We didnt need to pre program anything with heremaps offline.
Hotel,parks etc. Found them all offline

Nothing but good for here maps and also dont have to fiddle changing maps.
That'll work fine for major places like Disney but offline sometimes struggles for villa addresses, especially given that zip codes are nowhere near as specific as our equivalent post codes.

I got caught out with this once (arrived without a data plan on my phone to discover the app didn't recognise the street address) which is why I gave the advice. Boy was that a stressful journey...
Old 3 Oct 16, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
pho3nix
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

We have just got home last week and we downloaded and used offline Google maps with no problems at all! We drove to port canaveral/ disney/ universal/ outlets/ malls / restaurants etc all with no issues! Would def recommend!
pho3nix is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List