Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 4 Oct 16, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
BigSkip
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Forkbeard View Post
Is that a euphemism?

So bad is my OH at navigation that I've swerved off the road arguing
It's not a euphemism at all. The Wee Scottish Lassie is pretty good at navigation...
BigSkip is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 16, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Originally Posted by wanye View Post
my tomtom uses an FM radio receiver built into the charger cable to provide useful traffic info in florida without need for a data sim. its not as good as waze/etc for traffic updates, but still pretty useful, and no need for a data connection

tomtom/howdoesitwork/...hp?ID=28&CID=8

*edit*
as for phone mounts, i have one of these that does pretty well: amazon/dp/B01J3J6W...58fbe6934074cd
Useful info Wayne, much appreciated.

Reading online it's unclear if it'll work with the TomTom 6100. I'll find out when I discover if the built-in SIM is any use stateside.

Like the 3 in 1 mount from that link you sent. That's gotta be a good option to have all mounts in one
Forkbeard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 16, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Reading online it's unclear if it'll work with the TomTom 6100. I'll find out when I discover if the built-in SIM is any use stateside.
a quick scan looks like the 6100 is compatible with a TMC receiver, it just doesnt come with one anymore

the part number you need is 4UUC.001.05B

discussion on the tomtom site here

they are £25 to buy new in the uk on amazon, but theres cheaper ones on ebay if you ship from china. might be worth seeing if anyone you know has an older tomtom with TMC dongle that you could borrow to test with (or use in the US whilst on holiday)

hth
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 16, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post

Im taking my iphone 5 and put a 3 sim in it as its an old phone through the good advice from dibb folk, so ive got google maps as long story but the x has got the tom tom account and i cant update it :angry: but hay ive downloaded the new tom tom app and was thinking of paying the £15 but ive grown to like google so dont think ill bother also for phone mounts i brought a jml garage forecourt jobby one and its a sticky one fits in any where and never had a problem apart from when it needs a clean as the stickiness goes but a quirk wash with fairy and i struggle to get the bloody phone off

thanks though for all the tips 1st timers so to speak as the x is no longer invited its just me and the kids so all of this has been a mine feild
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 16, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Originally Posted by wanye View Post
a quick scan looks like the 6100 is compatible with a TMC receiver, it just doesnt come with one anymore

the part number you need is 4UUC.001.05B

discussion on the tomtom site here

they are £25 to buy new in the uk on amazon, but theres cheaper ones on ebay if you ship from china. might be worth seeing if anyone you know has an older tomtom with TMC dongle that you could borrow to test with (or use in the US whilst on holiday)

hth
Thank you so much Wayne. That's terrific info.
Forkbeard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 16, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Embraer
Excited about Disney

Another vote for CoPilot with Offline Maps, not exactly a massive investment
Offsite 5 times 76-05, POR 06, DVC since 07, SSR 07, BWV & DCL Wonder 4night 08, PR 3night & DCL Magic 7night W. Carib & SSR 3night 09, DLP NB 10, Treehouse 11, DLP NB 12, Treehouse & DCL Fantasy 7night E. Carib & BLT 13, BWV 15, SSR 16, Treehouse 19 & 22, Treehouse again 24
Embraer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 16, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
I used 3sim with google maps and it worked brilliantly. I will be using again. I've tried Waze but prefer google maps. I'm going to download off line maps incase I'm offline for some reason.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 16, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
IndianaMac
Imagineer

Mobile

On my last trip, I used "Here" on Android - worked perfectly well around the Disney area, International Drive, malls, and to Tampa for Busch Gardens.
I had preloaded loads into it back in the UK, and added some more whilst in WiFi areas.
Had tried others, but the Here interface was the one I preferred.
Used a universal phone mount, which secured it well enough.
Only drawback was we'd rented a Camaro, and with the roof down, even with the 'phone screen brightness at max and volume at max, it was at times tricky to see and hear.
Old 10 Oct 16, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Originally Posted by IndianaMac View Post
On my last trip, I used "Here" on Android - worked perfectly well around the Disney area, International Drive, malls, and to Tampa for Busch Gardens.
I had preloaded loads into it back in the UK, and added some more whilst in WiFi areas.
Had tried others, but the Here interface was the one I preferred.
Used a universal phone mount, which secured it well enough.
Only drawback was we'd rented a Camaro, and with the roof down, even with the 'phone screen brightness at max and volume at max, it was at times tricky to see and hear.
I like HERE as well. I like the interface and the presentation.

I had a Mustang last year, and I agree the brightness can be an issue with the top down. The speaker was broke on mine, so sound was not a problem

How did you find the Camaro? I heard the trunk space was minimal, and even worse than the Mustang.

How about this for a mount:
Old 10 Oct 16, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
IndianaMac
Imagineer

Mobile

I like HERE as well. I like the interface and the presentation.

I had a Mustang last year, and I agree the brightness can be an issue with the top down. The speaker was broke on mine, so sound was not a problem

How did you find the Camaro? I heard the trunk space was minimal, and even worse than the Mustang.

How about this for a mount:
Really enjoyed the Camaro. Can't compare trunk space, because I've never experienced the Mustang.
Didn't use the car for airport runs, so trunk space wasn't an issue. Did a fair sized Walmart shop (beer, wine, crisps, sundries, etc - a good ten bags worth maybe?), no fuss. There's a mesh roller you have to secure to allow the roof to fold, which cuts a lot of space from the trunk.
If you check the car hire pictures thread, I put some photos up on page 37.
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/show...107406&page=37