Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 5 Sep 17, 04:01 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

After all the raves about Golden Corral and driving past it for years I decided to take my DDs there for breakfast today as they had a day off school. We went to the one by Mile Marker 5 on 192. It was 8.99 for adults and 7.99 for a 9-12 year old.

The staff were very friendly and helpful and I didn't see any cleanliness issues. There was a huge selection but personally I just didn't find much of the food very appealing. My 11 year old hated the chocolate milk (probably because it was 1% and watery), the taste of the ice cream, and didn't really like the donut either. She then tried to be healthly and made a salad. She couldn't eat any if it because it tasted "weird". I didn't try it as lettuce at 9AM doesn't appeal but wonder if it was washed in water with bleach. She would still go back because of the chocolate fountain though!
My 14 year old is not fussy at all and really enjoys food. She liked it at first but then decided she really only liked the tater tots and never wanted to go back.

I found enough to eat but can't say I enjoyed it very much. My pancake was dried out on the edge, the donut was not great, peach cobbler was tinned peaches with a bit of pastry, and the cheese blintz was cold.

It wasn't terrible but we definitely don't rate it. The food stations really do feel like school canteens to me. I don't think it was that cheap either really. $28 inc tax for 3 would have gone a long way in Cracker Barrel because the kid's prices there are so cheap.

We used to enjoy breakfast at a local Premier Inn on inset days in the UK so our disappointment was not because we don't like buffets.

IMO you really have to want a lot of variety or really big portions to make it better than Cracker Barrel, Bob Evans, Perkins etc.
Old 5 Sep 17, 04:02 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Sorry! Didn't realise I had typed so much. Just trying to give a full picture of the food.
Old 6 Sep 17, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
cybermum
Imagineer

cybermum's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
We tried it once. Wont go back . Don't get the 'hype ' .
cybermum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 17, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
DFussy
Very Serious Dibber

I haven't read all the replies, so sorry if you already have the answer - we were out there when the op went up. Without voucher the one on Kirkman Rd (near Universal) seemed to be $15 per adult pretty much every day. they seem to have specials most days, so no longer more expensive at the weekend like it used to be in the past.

At Kirkman steak and butterfly prawns were Monday night, but they had prawns a couple of other nights too.

We picked up a vouchers for money off, and or free drinks, and discounted breakfast at the exit to it, and I think at Walgreens just round the corner.

Much quieter (and cleaner) than the one at the corner of sand lake and I drive, although a bit smaller. busy with locals on a Saturday night.

We ate there probably 4 nights in our 14.
DFussy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 17, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
markpwa8
Very Serious Dibber

Their TV Advert recently would be enough to make me never go.

It looked awful.
markpwa8 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 17, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Never in the history of the DIBB has one single restaurant produced as may polarised opinions as Golden Corral.

50% say that it's a great place to satisfy a healthy appetite with a vast choice for a reasonable price. We have breakfast there maybe three or four times a holiday. Dinner not so much.

The other 50% say yuk ! Plastic plates and I'll never cross the threshold again as I once saw a child with his finger in the chocolate fountain.

Manage your expectations, don't expect V&A, try it and draw your own conclusions.

Mick
Told you it would attract polarised opinions.

Mick
Old 6 Sep 17, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
loopyloo33
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Only meal i would recommend it for is lunch. Breakfast are very meh and the dinner is too expensive IMO.

For instant food at lunchtime for $8.99 you cant go far wrong considering a McDonalds meal can set you back about $7.50
loopyloo33 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 17, 05:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Holidaylover19
VIP Dibber

Holidaylover19's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
The breakfast buffet is pretty good, but dinner was chaotic and everywhere was filthy the last time we visited. Very good value for the price though.

(also yay, got another silver ear with this post!)
Holidaylover19 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List