Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 25 Jan 18, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I think this is the thread of the year! Overpriced and over rated. DDP is a pale comparison of what it used to be.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 18, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Yet more great feedback everyone.

Tom your story re the server doesn’t surprise me. The lady who served us in Narcoosees made $85 from us in an hour, that would have bought us a meal for 4 many places. Crazy tipping. And she had a face like a smacked bum, and when my wife complained it seemed very cold (many reviews on Tripadvsior say this) she said ‘Staff like it like this’. Great service.

This lady was serving multiple tables, must have been making couple of hundred dollars per hour.

Since when was it acceptable for someone doing a servers job to be paid this sort of money? It doesn’t happen elsewhere in the World including here. I don’t mind leaving 15 to 20% but at normal prices.p, it it’s getting too much. I’m sure many on here will remember when the Standard was 15%, now they want 20%+

And then usually if you suggest it’s too much, you get criticised saying you are a cheapskate on forums etc. Seems I’m in like minded company on here though!
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 18, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
YT. Never seen an American pay more than 10% gratuity.

This is why we are changing. Food that is mediocre to good but sometimes not even hitting that mark. Expensive and too regimented. Enough is enough.

Whats that expression? Shame me once etc etc. Well goodbye!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 18, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Tom, funny you say that as when we were with some Americans they weighed up the service and said ‘it was good, let’s leave 10%’.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 18, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie Mum
Imagineer

Mobile

Great reading all- thank you. We are doing our first trip without ddp and staying at Universal. Looking forward to different meal options and spending a reduced amount on food😆
Minnie Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 18, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I can’t believe after many holidays with the kids, always offsite in the villa, finally DH and I are going to stay onsite, first time ever in the DVC beach club and now I’ve read this thread and am regretting booking onsite. I already had reservations as a villa is so much cheaper but was looking forward to being able to have a drink with dinner, and enjoying the whole staying onsite experience. A proper couples holiday. It’s all paid for so we have to go but reading this we won’t be buying the DDP and may drive to the 192 for a couple of meals
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 18, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
LadyDebs86
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by MinniMouse View Post
I can’t believe after many holidays with the kids, always offsite in the villa, finally DH and I are going to stay onsite, first time ever in the DVC beach club and now I’ve read this thread and am regretting booking onsite. I already had reservations as a villa is so much cheaper but was looking forward to being able to have a drink with dinner, and enjoying the whole staying onsite experience. A proper couples holiday. It’s all paid for so we have to go but reading this we won’t be buying the DDP and may drive to the 192 for a couple of meals
Dont let this thread put you off. Staying onsite is lovely. I think DDP has ruined the standard of the onsite restaurants somewhat but they are still really nice. The ambiance on site is wonderful - most posters on this thread are in the DVC (including me) and we wouldn't have paid the large amount to join if we didnt really like it!
LadyDebs86 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 18, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
TC Devon
Imagineer

Mobile

I’m going to follow this thread with interest. We’re staying off site, I ve been getting in a bit of a tizz about how we can afford all these amazing Disney meals and experiences. They are incredibly expensive. This is a one off trip, all our savings are going on it, I want my children to have an amazing time but I doubt very much they will be fussed on fancy restaurants.

Time to get readin
TC Devon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 18, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by MinniMouse View Post
You haven't made a mistake, The Beach Club is simply the best and so is the Yacht Club next door. You will love every minute of it there and have the time of your lives or I'll eat my hat.

This thread is just us who can remember Disney the way it was. If this is your first time staying there you have nothing to compare it to.

You may even find yourself wondering what we were moaning about and if you do get to that point, just ask yourself if it's this good now what did it used to be like.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 18, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
TC you can still have great experiences just not at Disney's inflated prices! Take Teppon Edo, for example, same type of experience cheaper & more food Kobe Steakhouse & there are loads more examples that are of a similar or better standard & far cheaper.
Free dining is still a good offer I just wouldn't buy it on it's own, as another poster said, the majority of people replying to this thread are DVC owners, so whilst a UK visitor can get DDP for £50 "we" have to pay the US amount of $76, on today's exchange rate that's approx. £6/person/day more!
The standard of food & servers have certainly dropped but that doesn't mean that it's bad just not what it used to be. We always had WCC on our to-do list, last visit, the ayce skillet was basically a pan full of bones & fat, was never refilled or offered, the server spent more time chatting up the teenage daughter on the next table, than caring whether we had a good experience or not- he was british by the way. Result we haven't been back since.
Totally agree about the tips...spot the British family...the ones with the calculator out! Likewise we see many US families just "throw a couple of bucks" on the table then leave. From experience, do you know where we have consistently good service- the cheap places like Denny's & Ihop & the staff are getting buttons compared to what Disney servers are getting.
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List