Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 8 Jun 18, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
0-Town
Earning More Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
Are they?

Disney have been and are building both hotels and restaurants almost as fast as they can and they are all very busy by and large.
Ok probably should have said the majority of people I speak to.😂
0-Town is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 18, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
shack69
Imagineer

it all comes down to waht and where you eat. Also you will see here that competion is tough which is keeping prices down, but also forcing some chains to shut up shop.
I know here we are spoilt sometimes by using tesco vouchers, 2 4 1's etc at the chains.
But i do think you can eat out here for less, show me a place in orlando where you can get a freshly cooked with fresh ingredients a 3 course meal for less then £12 without drinks. (Lunch menu in Liverpool restaurant). Or even look at the carveries which are around the mark.
shack69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 18, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Mobile

Originally Posted by 0-Town View Post
I think more and more people are starting to realise it as well.
As DVC owners we are planning to eat a lot less onsite.
BarryandCaron is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 18, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
thefergies
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I went 6 years between trips 2010 and 2016 and did not feel family chain restaurant prices were noticeably different but felt supermarkets were more expensive. I think some people are equating the different exchange rate with more expense but that does not mean restaurants are hiking menu prices, just that our pound does not go so far.
thefergies is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 18, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
dvc
Imagineer

dvc's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
It's more expensive to eat than it was when we first went some years ago but the price of eating out in this country has risen too. We generally pay about the same in $ as we do in £ so it does work out cheaper but also factor in the portion sizes as we can often use one meal for 2 people
dvc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 18, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
StorybookCircus
Very Serious Dibber

Fresh fruit was wildly expensive in supermarkets, something like $8 for a punnet of grapes that would cost £2 in Tesco. We only tend to go to restaurants in the U.K. when we have coupon deals, like BOGOF breakfasts at Coast to Coast. Our favourite place to go for a treat is Yo Sushi but we can easily spend £50 and come away hungry! We found that the number of deals available off-site made eating out cheap and easy. We preferred getting an Uber to a restaurant to going supermarket shopping and then having to cook (or let food go to waste)
On-site was a very different story but it’s not every day you get to eat dinner in the Beast’s castle! Eating out is a big part of holidaying for us and we’d rather shop at Aldi when at home then blow the budget when we go abroad

Edited at 10:23 PM.
StorybookCircus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 18, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Even the cheaper options are going up. $6 + tax for Subway lunch deal

Big Mac meal (reg size) $5.99 + tax
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 18, 12:25 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mexy02 View Post
Yes I think it’s quiet expensive but when you paid £6000- 8000 to get there you seem to think it’s irrelevant really how much the food is . Most of our spending money is on food tbh.
Would you pay $24 (approx £18) for a buffet breakfast in the uk , no but you would at the wave . Eye watering really.
A buffet breakfast in the British equivalent of a deluxe Disney hotel wouldn't be far off.

Edited at 12:28 AM.
DonnaD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 18, 03:24 AM  
Link to this Post
mrsmickey
Very Serious Dibber

I was thinking about this one... there are some places and meals that seem pretty good value; we had a nice lunch at KSC today that was pretty good value compared to what you would pay at a normal attraction for a similar meal. Disney is Disney and always will be. They will charge because they can and the majority of diners are on dining plans and just don’t notice the cost of what they are eating. BOG for lunch for 4 adults and 1 child was $100 which really isn’t that bad. Ohanas breakfast was another matter though...

However, this time, I’ve really noticed the price of basics - supermarket food, or a cup of coffee. A loaf of nice bread in Publix is $4 and a pack of ham $7. Equivalent in Tesco’s would be £1 and £2 - so it’s more than twice the price. Non staple stuff, that tourists wouldn’t buy, tends to be cheaper though!

The other big shocker is merchandise in Disney. I know it’s a bit off topic but $35 for children’s tshirts is really going a bit far. My little boy wanted to buy me a pen and fridge magnet, both very basic versions, in a Disney shop and it would have been $15. Some of the assistants have also been really pushy and actively promoting things to children that cost money, which is just wrong.
mrsmickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 18, 04:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

Mobile

It is expensive if you eat out every day and obviously people are likely to do that as they are holiday.
You have to factor in though how expensive it is to eat out in UK. In UK, most of our meals cost is in the drinks and obviously these are unlimited US.
We offset cost by having takeouts some night/ cereal in villa for breakfast and popping to Burger King/McDonald’s some days when in US. I can’t imagine how much food bill would be if we ate out at restaurants or Disney 😳 😳 every day. Then again, if we ate out in the UK every day, it would be expensive too...
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List