Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 31 Jul 18, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Catherine
Imagineer

Alamo: upgrade from minivan to 8 seater or 15 seater

Hi can anyone help me, we have booked with Alamo through Thomas cook. There where originally 7 of us. However now there are 8 of us.
We believe there are limited 8 seaters at MCO. If we can’t get an 8 seater we will have to go for a 15 seater. Massive I know but no choice.

We have tried ringing Alamo without success saying they can’t amend as Thomas Cook booking. Thomas Cook are saying they can’t upgrade us either.

So looks like we will have to wait till we get to the airport to upgrade

Any ideas on costs

Catherine
Catherine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 18, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Padgio
Getting to know the DIBB

Hi Catherine,

If you've booked a 7 seater SUV then I think they usually have 8 seats anyway. The Chevrolet Suburbans at MCO usually do anyway.

We had to do a similar thing a couple of years ago, although that was with Avis. I called ahead and they made a few checks and said yes no problem. They stated that all their Suburbans at MCO are 8 seaters and I'm pretty sure they said the same class Ford Expeditions were too. No actual booking amendments were necessary.

I would keep calling them though as you want confirmation before you go. I think it's just a case of managing to speak to the right (helpful) individual.
Padgio is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 18, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Padgio
Getting to know the DIBB

...Oh and the Suburban we had was great! Comfortably accommodated all 8 of us + all our luggage in the massive boot.
Padgio is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 18, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
DFCH-Andy
DIBB Advertiser
- DIBB Advertiser -

I would imagine TC have booked a 7 seater people carrier for you so it'll be a Dodge Grand Caravan or similar. It'll have 7 seats. Alamo do have 8 seater people carriers but it'll potentially be an expensive upgrade if you do it when you arrive, especially if the staff realise you have 8 people in your party.

I really would try and get it sorted before you get there. Will TC let you cancel your vehicle booking in order to book elsewhere? also, just to double check, the vehicle you currently have booked has all the required insurances and not a "free" vehicle?

www.discountfloridacarhire.co.uk
DFCH-Andy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 18, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Catherine
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks everyone. We’ve spoke directly to Alamo at MCO. They say they have 8 seaters available but have directed us back to TC. So it’s back to the drawing Board. We’ve paid for Alamo Gold. So want the same package

Catherine
Catherine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 18, 07:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Simmyoto
Proud to wear my Ears

Have you looked into cancelling the TC car and hiring direct from Alamo?

From what i know of TC trying to upgrade once booked with them is an expensive job.

We had the "free" TC car on our booking bur decided rather than take the standard car and have to pay the extra insurances that are required on the "free" bookings we would decline the TC car.

After this happened we also ended up with 2 x extra people along for the trip.

It's going to be 4 adults and 2 kids for us but each with a full size suitcase & carry-on plus buggy.

So there will only be 6 of us but its the luggage that will be the issue.
There is no way DW and MIL are going to be happy with having cases piled up on top of them for the journey from and to the airport.

Even if you hire an a "full size" suv which may well be an 8 seater i would imagine you will really really struggle to get all the luggage in?

The only way we could guarantee an 8 seater with enough luggage room was to book a Premium SUV with extended space (XLT model) or Luxury Suv which was more expensive than the 15 seat van- so went with the van.

total cost for 2 weeks in September is £580 via Alamo brits so includes 2nd driver and all the insurances etc. Taking our own tom tom so no need for one of them.

@YorkshireT gave me some good advice and says every time he hires a big van they try to get him to take anything else at the counter (even 2 x cars in the past) as they have so few vans and can make a fortune on them for "walk up" bookings. I'm half hoping that they may offer me a free "upgrade" to the premium 8 seat suv with extended luggage space like suburban XLT or even the Cadillac Escalade / Lincoln Navigator.

If we end up with the 15 seat van i'll still be happy as we will have plenty of space for everyone and everything.

Driving the van is no issue for us either as our family car in the UK is actually a long wheelbase crew cab (6 seat) vauxhall Vivaro van.

Edited at 08:20 AM.
Simmyoto is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 18, 07:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. Some good advice already given so I wont repeat it apart from saying you will get skinned if you upgrade when there.

I would cancel the car ental booking with TC and start from scratch.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 18, 05:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Persnicketty
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Simmyoto View Post
>snip<

Even if you hire an a "full size" suv which may well be an 8 seater i would imagine you will really really struggle to get all the luggage in?

The only way we could guarantee an 8 seater with enough luggage room was to book a Premium SUV with extended space (XLT model) or Luxury Suv which was more expensive than the 15 seat van- so went with the van.

>snip<
Can confirm what you say. Just back after booking a Premium SUV with long wheel base via Avis to accommodate 4A & 2C plus 6 medium & large cases and stroller etc.

We knew space would be tight, so emailed Avis before travel to explain that whilst we knew a specific vehicle was not guaranteed we needed to carry that luggage upon arrival at Tampa so needed the Suburban XLT level of cargo space. Felt very reassured by Avis that this would be notified to the Tampa team for action.

Of course it ended up cattywompous at the Preferred kiosk. (Mix of fibs, repeated incompetence and a passive-aggressive supervisor more interested in point scoring than sorting the issue).

70 minutes later, left in a Ford Expedition with BP elevated a tad. Barely scraped the cases into it. Made for a very cramped journey.
Persnicketty is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 18, 07:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Simmyoto
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by Persnicketty View Post
Can confirm what you say. Just back after booking a Premium SUV with long wheel base via Avis to accommodate 4A & 2C plus 6 medium & large cases and stroller etc.

We knew space would be tight, so emailed Avis before travel to explain that whilst we knew a specific vehicle was not guaranteed we needed to carry that luggage upon arrival at Tampa so needed the Suburban XLT level of cargo space. Felt very reassured by Avis that this would be notified to the Tampa team for action.

Of course it ended up cattywompous at the Preferred kiosk. (Mix of fibs, repeated incompetence and a passive-aggressive supervisor more interested in point scoring than sorting the issue).

70 minutes later, left in a Ford Expedition with BP elevated a tad. Barely scraped the cases into it. Made for a very cramped journey.
It's this grief at the desk and extra stress on arrival that i'm looking to avoid.

The premium SUV is actually more expensive for my dates than the 15 seat van.. i've booked the van because i know it will definitely fit everyone, & everything with ease and the desk won't be able to give me any b.s. about not having any XLT's or extended length suv's available.

Should they want to move me to one from the van because it suits them then i may accept if the vehicle offered fits our needs.
Simmyoto is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 18, 07:25 AM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

Mobile

So if you have booked and have proof of a 8 seater then I don’t see how you won’t get a 8 Seater.

How much have you paid for the insurance upgrade with TC?

It may be cheaper to just book your vehicle of choice, have a look at Alamo Brit’s / virgin car hire
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List