Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 2 Aug 18, 07:33 AM  
Link to this Post
FloridaDave
Imagineer

FloridaDave's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

OP,

As per your title you’ve booked a Mini Van so that’ll be a 7 Seat Dodge Caravan or Chrysler Pacifica they have allocated for you. Alamo saying they have 8 seaters and it’ll be no problem and that not involving them taking a whole lot of money off you when you get there are two different matters (did they say they will have an 8 seater in your booked class?). Even if they have an 8 seater - what about luggage capacity because I imagine 8 people will have a fair few suitcases.

As has been said - you need to try and sort this before to go, and I would also look at other options if they won’t let you cancel and rebook here - such as hiring a 2nd vehicle (just a small car) as that might work out cheaper than being fleeced when you’re there and they say the car you’ve booked isn’t suitable. A 2nd car might end up useful too in case your party wants to split up some days.

Hope you get it sorted.

Dave
(UPCOMING)2018- Florida V6.0beta (Aug) Pre-Trip Report 2016- Mexico (Aug) Menorca (Oct), 2015- NYC & Florida, 2014- Gran Canaria, Aug (Puerto Rico), 2013- Florida, Aug/Sep (Clearwater and Westhaven Villa) - Pre-Trip Report, 2012- Florida, Aug (Sunset Lakes Villa) - Brangelina Trip Report, 2011- Santorini, Aug (Kamari Hotel - Sisters Wedding), 2010- Florida, Aug (Rolling Hills Villa), 2009- Florida, Aug/Sep (Clear Creek Villa)
FloridaDave is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 18, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Catherine
Imagineer

Thanks Dave. Yes they have 8 seaters available. We’ve spoke directly to MCO .. cancelling our car hire and re booking isn’t an option as all with TC. Will be messy. Think we will just have to risk airport upgrade

Catherine
Catherine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 18, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post

Hi Peter, similar to yourself we are 4 adults 2 children (10&13) plus suitcase and hand luggage. Looking at the Chrysler Pacifica but would you suggest we go a little bigger with the Chevy Suburn to save on hassle when arriving?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaDave
Imagineer

FloridaDave's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

Originally Posted by Catherine View Post
Thanks Dave. Yes they have 8 seaters available. We’ve spoke directly to MCO .. cancelling our car hire and re booking isn’t an option as all with TC. Will be messy. Think we will just have to risk airport upgrade
Your best bet is to do what I did. I booked a Standard SUv and wanted a Ford Explorer (flying into Miami). I’d heard stories of people being told that’s an upgrade but had also seen on the Alamo Facebook page people asking the question about what the fleet is and Ford Explorer being listed. So I messaged hem on their Facebook page and asked the question and also said why I was asking it - they replied confirming the fleet which included the Ford Explorer. When we arrived on Saturday all they had in the row was Hyundai Santa Fe Sports which are small for a Standard SUV and a few Dodge Journeys which simply would not do. I asked in the garage about a Ford Explorer and the guy said it was an upgrade - I politely disagreed and told him why, he asked to see what they’d said so I showed him in their Facebook Page. 10 minutes later we were sat in this.

So basically - get it in writing that they’ll have an 8 seater Minivan available for you so you can show them if they are trying to get you to part with cash. If they say they have none available tell them an upgrade should be given (Suburban with 8 seats would do).
(UPCOMING)2018- Florida V6.0beta (Aug) Pre-Trip Report 2016- Mexico (Aug) Menorca (Oct), 2015- NYC & Florida, 2014- Gran Canaria, Aug (Puerto Rico), 2013- Florida, Aug/Sep (Clearwater and Westhaven Villa) - Pre-Trip Report, 2012- Florida, Aug (Sunset Lakes Villa) - Brangelina Trip Report, 2011- Santorini, Aug (Kamari Hotel - Sisters Wedding), 2010- Florida, Aug (Rolling Hills Villa), 2009- Florida, Aug/Sep (Clear Creek Villa)
FloridaDave is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 18, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Allisonjane
Apprentice Imagineer

I agree with other posters that have said get this sorted before you go, upgrading at the desk will cost a fortune, especially if they know they're are 8 of you, so the upgrade is essential, there's nothing you can do except pay whatever they ask.
Saying that, are you sure an 8 seater will be big enough? Is there some children in your party? although if they need car seats, they take up even more room. Also how much luggage have you got? We had a 7 seater for 5 of us and only managed to get our luggage in by folding 2 seats down, if all seats are being used you would be lucky to get 3 or 4 cases in the boot.
1993, 1997, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004 all off site, 2007 Pop/AKL + Fairytale Wedding, 2008 Cypress Pointe, 2010 Disney Magic, 2010 OKW/Rolling Hills, 2011 Pop/CBR, 2013 POFQ/Bellavida, 2015 OKW/Windsor Hills/AKV, 2016 CBR, 2017 Cypress Pointe, 2018 OKW/Storey Lake, 2019 BlueTree Resort, 2019 Cypress Pointe/Tuscan Ridge, 2020 CSR, 2021 Formosa Gardens
Allisonjane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 18, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Catherine
Imagineer

Thank you everyone. I will keep you posted x

Catherine
Catherine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List