Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 1 Aug 18, 07:49 AM  
Link to this Post
FloridaDave
Imagineer

FloridaDave's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Anyone flying into Miami soon?

We fly into Miami on 11th. If anyone is flying in there before us and you get a chance can you check out the Standard SUV line at Alamo to see what's about please.

I know from hour to hour it could dramatically change but still, wouldn't mind knowing others experience. I am specifically after getting a Ford Explorer and if one isn't available I would ask one of the guys if they could acquire one for me.

Pictures would be nice too if you don't mind. I intend on taking some pictures and posting on here when we go through as know quite a few people got good flight deals flying into Miami for this year.

Cheers

Dave
(UPCOMING)2018- Florida V6.0beta (Aug) Pre-Trip Report 2016- Mexico (Aug) Menorca (Oct), 2015- NYC & Florida, 2014- Gran Canaria, Aug (Puerto Rico), 2013- Florida, Aug/Sep (Clearwater and Westhaven Villa) - Pre-Trip Report, 2012- Florida, Aug (Sunset Lakes Villa) - Brangelina Trip Report, 2011- Santorini, Aug (Kamari Hotel - Sisters Wedding), 2010- Florida, Aug (Rolling Hills Villa), 2009- Florida, Aug/Sep (Clear Creek Villa)
FloridaDave is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 18, 04:48 PM  
Link to this Post
legolass
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

We flew into Miami on 18th July, landed at around 7.30pm and went straight to the garage as we had already done immigration at Toronto. And there was only one vehicle in the standard suv line - it was a Santa Fe, I was a bit disappointed as I’d hoped to have a bit of a choice. It wasn’t a bad car to be fair but we might have picked something different if possible!
legolass is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 18, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaDave
Imagineer

FloridaDave's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by legolass View Post
We flew into Miami on 18th July, landed at around 7.30pm and went straight to the garage as we had already done immigration at Toronto. And there was only one vehicle in the standard suv line - it was a Santa Fe, I was a bit disappointed as I’d hoped to have a bit of a choice. It wasn’t a bad car to be fair but we might have picked something different if possible!
Thanks for the reply.

Santa Fe looks nice to be fair, but really want an Explorer.

Sounds really lazy of them because just one car in the row is poor and you’d think a big airport location like Miami would be refilling slots as quick as they’re emptying - in that situation I would hint to them to let me take a Full Size SUV and if they weren’t going for that would ask them to try and find an Explorer for me.

Will see what the situation is when I’m there

Dave
(UPCOMING)2018- Florida V6.0beta (Aug) Pre-Trip Report 2016- Mexico (Aug) Menorca (Oct), 2015- NYC & Florida, 2014- Gran Canaria, Aug (Puerto Rico), 2013- Florida, Aug/Sep (Clearwater and Westhaven Villa) - Pre-Trip Report, 2012- Florida, Aug (Sunset Lakes Villa) - Brangelina Trip Report, 2011- Santorini, Aug (Kamari Hotel - Sisters Wedding), 2010- Florida, Aug (Rolling Hills Villa), 2009- Florida, Aug/Sep (Clear Creek Villa)
FloridaDave is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 18, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post
jasser
Proud to wear my Ears

We flew into Miami at 8pm on the 26th of July and the standard SUV had only two SUV’s in it, a Santa Fe Sport (same as the UK Santa Fe) and a lwb Santa Fe - same size as the Sorento. I took the lwb Santa Fe. Not brilliant but no major complaints.
jasser is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 18, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaDave
Imagineer

FloridaDave's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by jasser View Post
We flew into Miami at 8pm on the 26th of July and the standard SUV had only two SUV’s in it, a Santa Fe Sport (same as the UK Santa Fe) and a lwb Santa Fe - same size as the Sorento. I took the lwb Santa Fe. Not brilliant but no major complaints.
Sounds like I’m definitely going to have to ask for that Explorer.

The SantaFe Sport shouldn’t even have been in that row - it’s clearly an Intermediate and there’s no way I’d accept it if it were the only car left. We’re in no immediate rush when we arrive so I’ll camp out there if I have to 😂
Old 1 Aug 18, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Tiana
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Mobile

We arrived at the Miami Alamo rental at midday on July 11th. The garage was empty! Not one Standard SUV and hardly a car in any line anywhere! It was so strange. I asked the attendant what was next to come round and she said a SantaFe in around 15-20mins. We really wanted to get going so she then offered us and we took a top spec new Dodge Grand Caravan. Today when we returned the car - 8.30am - the garage was full. Lots of Santa Fe’s lined up but sorry I didn’t recognise anything else in the line. There was a Discovery lurking at the back but not in the line, all freshly washed, just waiting for someone to ask for it. Hope you get it FloridaDave.
Princess Tiana is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 18, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaDave
Imagineer

FloridaDave's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Princess Tiana View Post
We arrived at the Miami Alamo rental at midday on July 11th. The garage was empty! Not one Standard SUV and hardly a car in any line anywhere! It was so strange. I asked the attendant what was next to come round and she said a SantaFe in around 15-20mins. We really wanted to get going so she then offered us and we took a top spec new Dodge Grand Caravan. Today when we returned the car - 8.30am - the garage was full. Lots of Santa Fe’s lined up but sorry I didn’t recognise anything else in the line. There was a Discovery lurking at the back but not in the line, all freshly washed, just waiting for someone to ask for it. Hope you get it FloridaDave.
Cheers for the reply. Does look like they’re a bit lazy in Miami as surely there is a massive turnover of cars.

Are you sure the car lurking was a Discovery ... might have been an Explorer as Ford certainly did borrow it’s look when designing it.

Old 2 Aug 18, 12:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Princess Tiana
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Mobile

Lol - it was an Explorer. Oops!
Princess Tiana is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 18, 07:22 AM  
Link to this Post
FloridaDave
Imagineer

FloridaDave's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Princess Tiana View Post
Lol - it was an Explorer. Oops!
Easy to mix them up from a distance 👍🏻

Dave
Old 2 Aug 18, 08:28 AM  
Link to this Post
0420wilmut
Imagineer

We land in Miami on the 9th Aug at 11pm. We will have cleared immigration at Atlanta and have already done OLCI. Two years ago we got to the garage at about 5ish and the choice was shocking. They even had the nerve to put cars in the line that hadn’t been cleaned. We made our choice of a Santa Fe (bit old) and drove away a little disappointed. The problem is that when you’re exhausted and had enough, you really will compromise. DH is insistent this time that if the choice is poor then he will make a fuss and even ask for an upgrade. I will report back on how we’ve got on.
May 2023 POP & 1 night RPR
0420wilmut is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List