Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21 Sep 18, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Canada - May you said, oh yeah!

After a wonderful 2 weeks in Banff in August we knew we wanted to return but I didn't expect dh to say lets go so soon! As I have said before he is a last minuter so booking 8 months out is pretty much unheard of! I work in a school so am also tied to these holidays. Christmas, Feb half term and Easter were out as we didn't want to be caught up in the ski season! So May half term fitted in well, especially as it is our birthdays

Another reason is that we still have our park pass, we might see some snow even though the ski season has finished and finally it will hopefully be too early for wildfires that were affecting the area this time. We fly out on the 24th of May in the early evening and leave in the evening of 1st June getting back a lunchtime on Sunday 2nd.

We decided that we would base ourselves in Jasper this time as that was one of the other areas that there seemed to be lots to see and do. This also means that if we go a third time we can go straight to Vancouver rather than an east to west road trip and spend a whole holiday there.

So tonight I booked our flights with BA. We picked up the end of their sale and are flying out economy and back PE and we did money plus miles so got both returns for half the price we paid in the summer with Air Canada! We could have done it a bit cheaper with Westjet or Transat from Gatwick but BA had the perfect flight leaving at 18.20 from Heathrow. This fits in with me finishing work at lunchtime (we only live an hour from Heathrow). It arrives at 8pm Calgary time so by the time we are through the immigration etc we can just hit an airport hotel and leave early in the morning meaning we don't waste a days holiday in the air. It is about a 5 1/2 hour drive up to Jasper on good roads which we now know. The weather looks as though it is usually good but can still get snow so we are planning to get an SUV this time. There is also plenty of daylight, from around 6am to 8pm.

Following Jocat and Gunners reports from this summer I have booked The Crimson in Jasper through someone called Skoosh on Trivago and paid for it in ££ so no cc fees It is fully cancellable should I see anything better. Still left to do is an airport hotel in Calgary, the car and airport parking here.

Feeling really pleased with myself and have just got to get an itinerary sorted now, as at the moment it is just the 2 Saturdays travelling to and from Jasper.