Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 2 Sep 20, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
AL1S0N
Dibbing with Tink

Daytona beach..

...how bad is it? Or maybe I shouldn't know as already booked! Having just read an article on lonely planet im more than a little worried, they make it sound like a ghetto. We have booked for just one night next June (a Sunday, hoping it'll be quieter than Fri/sat) after trying the west coast on our last Florida trip. Staying at el Caribe which is a good bit south of the pier
AL1S0N is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 20, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I wouldn’t describe it as a Ghetto.. or bad either.

It has a very long beach and promenade with plenty of history relating to the Daytona Speedway and also cars going onto the beach. There is also a nice pier. It is one of those places where a few minutes research will pay dividends.

If You were there for just the one night, then I would think that you will have a really good time there (as we did). Lovely airport as well, which is why we spent time there before flying home to the UK. It only has a couple of flights a day and links well through Atlanta.

We ate in ‘Sloppy Joes’. The original is in Key West on the corner of Duval and Green... and famous for Hemingway, but this one was ok as well, not historic, iconic and legendary, but good fun, non the less.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 05:07 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 20, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
AL1S0N
Dibbing with Tink

Thank you, feel a lot better!
AL1S0N is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 20, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

We have friends who live near Daytona beach so have been to that area quite a few times, never seen any problems, crabby Joe's on the pier is nice food , and visit ponce inlet , good food there too
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 20, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I went last year and am afraid to say we thought it was pretty bad. There were some very, very dodgy people about, strip clubs, guy trying to get money when pulled up at traffic lights (out of his head), closed up buildings, looked a bit run down etc.

Some will say I’m talking rubbish but I can only report on what we saw in the area we were in (near pier) and we will not be venturing back. Not our cup of tea I am afraid.

Shame as I remembered it in its heyday but I was 20 then so maybe it just seemed nicer.
It’s also a big area and I can’t vouch for what it’s like a bit further out.

Sorry but you did ask!

Edited at 05:47 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 20, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Hello
It’s a beautiful coastline and If you want a quieter beach to spend the day on I would drive north to Ormond or Flagler. They are only 30 minutes from Daytona. Flagler offers a little more by way of bars and places to eat than Ormond.

It was a washout the day we were at Daytona last year but it looked fun in an old fashioned Blackpool/Brighton seaside town kind of way. And I liked seeing the iconic sights.

Can’t help on places to eat there but can recommend a few further up that coastline if your plans do take you that way.

Happy planning
WileyCoyote is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 20, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
salmim
Imagineer

salmim's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We like it there!
Only been a couple of times as we've travelled the coast.
Yes it's not Downtown Disney but the beach, Pier area is great.
Stayed at Plaza.
Enjoy.

(Wish I was there now!)
salmim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 20, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
barryp1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I went last year and am afraid to say we thought it was pretty bad. There were some very, very dodgy people about, strip clubs, guy trying to get money when pulled up at traffic lights (out of his head), closed up buildings, looked a bit run down etc.

Some will say I’m talking rubbish but I can only report on what we saw in the area we were in (near pier) and we will not be venturing back. Not our cup of tea I am afraid.

Shame as I remembered it in its heyday but I was 20 then so maybe it just seemed nicer.
It’s also a big area and I can’t vouch for what it’s like a bit further out.

Sorry but you did ask!
As you invited it then you are talking rubbish. To the best of my knowledge there are no strip clubs in Daytona beach and only one topless bar.

Of course you are not likely to learn much about any place on a day trip.
barryp1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 20, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by barryp1 View Post
As you invited it then you are talking rubbish. To the best of my knowledge there are no strip clubs in Daytona beach and only one topless bar.

Of course you are not likely to learn much about any place on a day trip.
OK Barry- thanks for your tolerance of other views.

Google it you’d see an immediate 10+ Daytona Beach ‘Gentleman’s Clubs’ so advising there is only one ‘topless bar’ in Daytona Beach falls down very quickly. I know you get these all over but I was surprised to see that and boarded up shops in the main tourist area.

Suppose we got a bad impression when we were driving in and the wife and kids got scared with the homeless hassling for money at traffic lights and the drunk aggressive people in the 7/11 near the pier. Also the obvious drug addicts hanging about.

Or maybe I just got very unlucky that day as I was only there on a day trip (thankfully). All I can do is repeat what me and my family experienced as OP invited feedback. Maybe it’s a lot nicer away from the central area we were in- who knows!

Unfortunately the Daytona Beach area has high levels of poverty and is in the top 2% of crime areas in the US.

I’m not knocking those who like it, just giving our experience as a recent visitor last year to one area around the pier (a main area).

Cheers!
Old 3 Sep 20, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post
barryp1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
OK Barry- thanks for your tolerance of other views.

Google it you’d see an immediate 10+ Daytona Beach ‘Gentleman’s Clubs’ so advising there is only one ‘topless bar’ in Daytona Beach falls down very quickly. I know you get these all over but I was surprised to see that and boarded up shops in the main tourist area.

Cheers!
Your experience of what a Gentlemans Club is may include nude striptease and topless bars but this is not the case in Daytona Beach where nudity is illegal.

You drive into the town down International Speedway and you will see 4 clubs You reach the beach which is 22 miles long and has 1 club along this 22 mile length.

With respect I think day trippers should not pretend they know about any area they visit. Why did you go to Daytona and what did you do when you were there?
barryp1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List