Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 27 Oct 19, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
SgtElias
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Indirect Flight

Just looked at Skyscanner in what looks like a forlorn attempt to find some cheap flights, can someone explain how the flight home with one connection is a 32 hour trip, do you have to walk from Orlando to Atlanta to catch the plane home !
SgtElias is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 19, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SgtElias View Post
can someone explain how the flight home with one connection is a 32 hour trip, do you have to walk from Orlando to Atlanta to catch the plane home !
it just means that you'd need to spend some 20hrs at Atlanta Airport

those ultra long connections are relatively cheap, but they're just a modern form of torture ...
if you've ever sat for 2hrs on an airport seat, just think about sleeping on one ...

double check connection times,
on your way back to the UK, at a US airport, think about 90 minutes minimum. But anything over 5hrs is just not worth considering
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 19, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Skyscanner will give timings for all legs of the journey so looking at the details of the flight connections will tell you why it will take 32 hours.

There will be a long layover in there somewhere hence the cheap price.

Doesn’t mean you have to stay & sleep in the airport on a hard seat; sounds like you’d have plenty of time to check into a nearby hotel to sleep & do something in the local area, the cost of which may be covered by the cheap flight price.

Edited at 09:43 PM.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 19, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
SgtElias
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

I think walking would be a better option than waiting for 20 hours in an airport, Im thinking Tom Hanks in The Terminal !
SgtElias is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 19, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
macadoo
Imagineer

Mobile

With a 20 hour connection I wouldn’t be spending it in the airport. Some sightseeing if it’s in the day maybe or book a hotel if it’s at night.
macadoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 19, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
loopyloo33
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

20hrs sounds like a good amount of time to do a bit of sightseeing and a good night sleep in a hotel. You dont need to stay in the airport.
loopyloo33 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 19, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Sarge - check out LastMinute and Expedia direct too - this winter we, and bro for two trips this year, used Expedia for VA PE flights as they came out the cheaper. I always check layover times first, these 32 hour journeys are a no-go!
Old 27 Oct 19, 11:53 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Sometimes a long layover can be good as you can rest, sightsee and have a shorter flight home.
Old 28 Oct 19, 04:00 AM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

I deliberately take long layovers if it's cities that I'm happy to go out exploring in - for example I have an 8 hour long layover in London Heathrow on my way home which I'm quite happy with as that gives me a couple of hours to go shopping in central London (barring any delays/etc).

Otherwise, some airports have hotels with day rooms that you could book if on a long layover. Or they might have city tours. Or there might be enough to do in the airport to actually occupy the entire long layover time...
Old 29 Oct 19, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
dvc
Imagineer

dvc's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
You can always book an airport hotel room or an airport lounge with beds and showers
dvc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List