Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 9 May 20, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Br'er Bear
Very Serious Dibber

Aer Lingus - Refund experiences on cancelled flights.

Added 20th July: dac123 was refunded within 7-days after calling HQ on either (01) 761 7835 from Ireland: 0333 006 6920 from UK / Northern Ireland: 00353 1 7617835 from Europe/rest of world.
See post #55

For those with an Aer Lingus flight that was cancelled and you've requested a refund.

I just read of someone who's so far waited 50-days for a refund and still waiting, was posted today on Twitter, 9th May.

I had hoped it would take a few weeks at most, had I known it could take so long then I might have made a different choice.

Therefore I thought I would start a new thread so other Dibbers with Aer Lingus flights over the coming months can make a more informed decision when their flights are cancelled.

We had called 0333 006 6920 and requested a full refund back onto our credit card on 17 April and we're still waiting. Anyone received their's yet?

Outbound flight - 20th April to MCO.
Cancelled on - 17th April
Case Number - 5283600
Refunded: 4th August back onto credit card.

I will update this post when I receive a refund.

So fellow Dibbers, if you've cancelled an Aer Lingus flight and requested a refund then can you please list the following and if not yet refunded then please update your post when it's received. Many thanks.

Outbound flight: -
Cancelled on: -
Case Number -
No refund as of -
Refunded: -

Added 10th April: Please add your case number but rounded to the nearest hundred.
A case number of 5210900 was issued on 31st March, so over the 18-days up to our cancellation around 72,700 case numbers were raised

I'll post refunded details in this first post for a quick reference.

Cancelled 16th March - Case No 5090000 - Refunded 27th March - Took 11-days - Post #5

Cancelled 27th March - Case No 5191900 - CC Chargeback 28th April - Credited 7th May - Post #3

Cancelled 23rd April - Case No 5307000 - Full refund received 27th June after sending an email to askus@aerlingus.com - Post #32 & 37

Cancelled 24th April - Case No 5310000 - Refunded 7th July after phoning on 27th June - Post #5, #36 & #54

Cancelled 13th May - Case No 5390700 - Full refund received 27th June after sending an email to askus@aerlingus.com - Post #15 & 29

Edited at 08:06 AM.
Br'er Bear is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 20, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post
floridacrazy
Dancing with Tink'

Our flight to New York wasn’t cancelled however we weren’t able to travel due to current restrictions. We were initially told that we could re-arrange or have a voucher however they changed the departure time of the flight and a loop hole in their T&Cs meant that we were actually entitled to a refund. Still waiting though...

Outbound flight: - 10th April MAN to DUB-DUB to JFK
Cancelled on: - 2nd April
Case no. - 5224900
No refund as of - 9th May

Edited at 10:38 AM. Reason: Reference added
floridacrazy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 20, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
dac123
Getting Excited

2 family bookings on 2 different booking references same flight and dates

Flight date was 3rd April, Dublin Miami
both cancelled 27th march after getting the email
booking 1 family of 5 no refund after 4 weeks started a CC chargeback on 1 booking 28th April I got the money from the bank on the 7th May 9 days later and 1 day off 6 weeks
second booking, nothing back after 6 weeks and one day, as of the 9th of May
people have been waiting longer

2 case numbers from the 27th of march in 10 mins, about 40 between them, 5191900. that makes it about 19000 in 4 days from the 27th to the 31st of March, if they are running sequentially

Edited at 12:38 PM.
dac123 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 20, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Br'er Bear
Very Serious Dibber

So to give more clarity can you please also include your case number rounded to the nearest hundred.

Reason being that someone on Twitter who cancelled on 31st March and are still waiting for a refund had a case file of 5210900 (I've rounded it to the nearest hundred)

We cancelled on 17th April and received a case number of 5283600 (rounded to the nearest hundred)

Therefore between 31st March and 17th April there were 72,700 case numbers raised, I presume some of which will be for vouchers, some for refunds and some for any other types of complaint.

This information should help other Dibbers get a better understanding of how long it could take and more importantly the more that post to this thread the better, as we can then work out how many case files Aer Lingus are processing per week.

I've now added my case number to the first post.

Many thanks.
Br'er Bear is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 20, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Outbound flight: - 9th May - Dublin to Miami
Cancelled on: - 24th April - this is when I received the official cancellation email
Case Number - 5310000 (rounded)
No refund as of - 10th May

I did have another booking for a single flight on the same day but this was a flex fare as we weren't sure if DD would be able to join us. Cancelled this on 16th March with a case reference 5090000 (rounded) took a bit of backward and forward communication but I received the refund on 27th March.

Looks like an increase of 220,000 case reference numbers.

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 20, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post
jrenfrew
Getting to know the DIBB

If you paid by credit card then claim back via section 75, I got my money back next day, didn’t bother trying with Aer Lingus
jrenfrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 20, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Poly Girl 68
Having Dinner with Goofy

Originally Posted by jrenfrew View Post
If you paid by credit card then claim back via section 75, I got my money back next day, didn’t bother trying with Aer Lingus

Hi jrenfrew, I have flights for 6 people on 26/5/20 with AL and have not yet been advised that they have been cancelled and have been following the AL posts with interest.

If you don’t mind me asking, which credit card company are you with? I paid for the flights using my Barclaycard visa and was going to apply for a refund with AL when the flights were cancelled but could possibly claim back via section 75. I thought the credit card company would direct you to the airline first?

Great that you have your refund

Poly Girl 68
Poly Girl 68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 20, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Mobile

Outbound flight : 11/05/20
Cancelled on : 27/04/20
Case number : 5318700
No refund as of : 11/05/20
Refunded :

I'll give AL until the 1st June as that is when our return flight is scheduled. AL still emailing regarding upgrading this flight. Weird.
Old 11 May 20, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
dac123
Getting Excited

The card companies will direct you to the Airline first, it is one of the conditions of claiming back. I am with Santander but most CC I have looked at ask for a list of conditions for you to show you have done to be eligible to claim back. The last on my list is, "Details of attempts to resolve with merchant"
You have 2 different options. Option 1 is a chargeback, this can be done on any type of card. It is less formal and normally quicker, I was advised to use this approach by a member of staff at the bank. Section 75 of the consumer credit act, unlike chargeback can not be used by debit cards. It is a more formal process. Credit card providers will pay you even if the supplier goes bust, so you have even more protection.

Edited at 08:26 PM.
dac123 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 20, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
floridacrazy
Dancing with Tink'

Originally Posted by dac123 View Post
The card companies will direct you to the Airline first, it is one of the conditions of claiming back. I am with Santander but most CC I have looked at ask for a list of conditions for you to show you have done to be eligible to claim back. The last on my list is, "Details of attempts to resolve with merchant"
You have 2 different options. Option 1 is a chargeback, this can be done on any type of card. It is less formal and normally quicker, I was advised to use this approach by a member of staff at the bank. Section 75 of the consumer credit act, unlike chargeback can not be used by debit cards. It is a more formal process. Credit card providers will pay you even if the supplier goes bust, so you have even more protection.
Is the chargeback route available to me please, I booked with Expedia as opposed to direct with AL? Expedia directed me to AL to sort a refund but as mentioned in my post above I’ve been waiting for almost 6 weeks so far. I didn’t think that the credit card company would assist if I booked through an intermediary?
floridacrazy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List