Alyson
VIP Dibber

Alyson's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Talking Me & Him Do California April 08 Pre-Trip Report

California April 2008 Pre-Trip Report.

Just me and him – Here we are

They say every cloud as a silver lining and maybe that’s true, it was for us. On a trip in April 06 to Florida DH begrudgingly agreed to visit a Disney water park (he’s a bit of a mouse hater, I’m waiting for Jeremy Kyle to ask people to ring in about people of the mouse hater persuasion!)

We choose Typhoon Lagoon which I adore, we had been there less than 1 hour when we decided to swim with the sharks, whilst walking to the sharks DH stubbed and broke his toe. His language wasn’t in keeping with the Disney ethos for a few seconds I can tell you! We made a swift exit whilst mothers covered their children’s ears and tried in vain to explain what some of the words meant that the strange Brit was yelling whilst hopping around!

We visited a doctor on the 192, 2 hours $300 and a large blue silly shoe later all park visits were ruled out because understandably walking was painful

Fast forward to the flight home, we landed in Gatwick but they couldn’t attach the walkway, so all passengers with mobility difficulties were asked to wait and were eventually put into a large box type thing on a cherry picker. This took over 30 minutes to arrange, with DH insisting he could walk but Virgin suggesting he shouldn’t. Whilst waiting we got chatting to a guy from first class who was also waiting to disembark via the box type contraption.

He explained to us that he flew first class once a year via the benefits of the Virgin Credit card. As soon as I arrived home I enrolled for the black card.

Fast forward again to June 07 and we have enough points to fly first class to California Yippeeeeee . California chosen on the basis it’s the furthest we could go for the points, making the most of the first class experience!

So, April 2nd to April 21st 2 First Class Tickets cost £400 ……… so exciting!

We couldn’t get the exact flights we wanted, so changed our plans to fit the flights. We are flying into San Francisco and out of LA home.

We have visited California once before and wished we had have travelled further a field which we are planning to do this time. We have also been to Las Vegas twice and therefore left it out of this trip, although it was in our original plan along with Death Valley.

We both travel a lot and amass lots and lots of points for Holiday Inn, Marriott and Ramada hotels so lots of the accommodation is free as well.

Here is the plan …….

Night before – Crown Plaza Heathrow – Club Floor Room (points plus upgrade)

The DAY Chauffer Parking then to the new Virgin Lounge for beauty treatments and general spoiling – In some ways more excited about the journey than the holiday – I know this is silly but it’s the whole first class thing it’s such a treat and a complete novelty!

San Francisco 4 nights at the brand new Intercontinental Hotel opening on 28th February (Points) plan to acclimatise and visit the tourist spots

Collect the car

Yosemite – 2 Nights – Yosemite Lodge at the Falls - Hope to do a lot of walking here

Napa – 2 Nights – Marriott Spa Hotel (Points) – Tour a winery and do a little shopping

Monteray Bay – 1 Night – Holiday Inn (Points) maybe visit nearby Carmel and Hurst Castle

Pismo Beach – 2 Nights – Sea Venture Hotel Spa Suite – This hotel is on the beach and the hot tub is on our balcony facing the ocean, really looking forward to this!

Santa Barbara – 2 Nights – Hol Inn (Points) also taking the Coast Starlight train whilst here it provides stunning costal views we have booked a compartment just for us two romantic or what?

Santa Monica – 1 Night – Holiday Inn (Points) Going for a run on the beach!

San Diego – 3 Nights – Holiday Inn (Points) also planning to visit Tijuana whilst we are here and have a thoroughly silly day eating Mexican food and drinking tequila!

LA – 1 Night – Universal Studios Hilton Hotel – Visiting the studios buying FOTL passes

Then fly home and once again stay over at the Crowne Plaza

We have purposefully not planned too much on this trip, we have a few good guide books and will make it up as we go along.

I have changed some money whilst the rate was good, booked the car via usrentacar and chauffer parking via VIP using a tip from the Dibb we have 20 nights parking for only £88 Bargain!

I have a Tom Tom with US maps and have added all the hotels and planned the itinerary.

So now all I need to do is print out all the reservations and pack which I’m sure I will do at some point!

…….. also I have no idea what to wear? I have never flown first class before and am worried that I will look like an extra from shameless!

Thanks for reading
Alyson is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 08, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post

Sounds fantastic Alyson, we have visited those places a few times and really enjoyed it, I am sure you will have a great time and First class ...wow, we usually go business class with BA and thats nice. They usually say no jeans or shorts or football shirts, but not sure about Virgin. Not long to go either.
No daughter this time?

Edited at 10:29 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 08, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
stephwa
Imagineer

Wow, that trip sounds absolutely amazing!

I'm sure you won't look like an extra out of shameless (gotta try quite hard! ), you look lovely in your picture

Hope you have a fantastic time, and looking forward to hearing all about it when you get back!
DLP 1992 - Davy Crockett Ranch WDW 1994 - Grosvenor WDW 1996 - Travelodge LBW DLP 1997WDW 1998 - Caribbean Beach WDW 2000 - Nikki Bird WDW 2002 - Quality Inn Plaza WDW 2007 - Coronado Springs Resort DLP 2007 - Sequoia Lodge WDW 2009 - Villa and Pop! DLP 2009 - Newport Bay DLP 2010 - New York Hotel WDW 2010 - Pop Century

Upcoming Trips...
WDW October 2011!

stephwa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 08, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Alyson
VIP Dibber

Alyson's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Marion - Thanks for that ... and no Daughter this time, she is in sunny Flordia as I type with her best friend, however in 2009 we are going to Florida with her and her Boyfriend so the holiday sagas continue, at least I get to do the parks when she comes!

Steph - Thanks, you are a sweetie I'm sure I will find something, quite fancy changing into PJ's!
Alyson is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 08, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
spenners
I'm Ready To Go NOW!

spenners's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 10
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
Have a great time... you've got me thinking about applying for that card now

Las Vegas - October 2023 (6th West Coast Trip)
New York - February 2019 - My 50th Birthday Trip (1st Visit)
Florida - January 2024 - Taking mini me for her 30th birthday (22nd Visit to Florida)
Florida - September 2024 (23rd visit) - just me and hubby
spenners is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 08, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Carol_G
Imagineer

Carol_G's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 22
Alyson sounds fab !

Hope you have a wonderful time.
Carol_G is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 08, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post

Your trip looks good, have a great time.
Bill
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 08, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Just had a giggle at your DH's antics but the end result being what sounds like it will be an absolutely amazing trip
Clare is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 08, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

I thought you were going to say that Virgin had given you a free flight because of the cherry picker

It sounds like you have a fabulous trip planned!
KarenG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 08, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Michelle
VIP Dibber
- DIBB Advertiser -

Michelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 8
Alyson all sounds brilliant, can't wait for the reports.