Old 13 Feb 19, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Kate and me at DLP February 2019 pre trip

Welcome to the Kate and me at DLP trip report.

I love being able to look back on our trips and reminisce about our holidays. I always enjoy writing up our trip reports and I’m grateful that there are people out there who read them and comment as it gives me the opportunity to talk about it all over again

My name is Abby, usually I am on holiday with my DH, DS and DD.

Here we all are WDW last summer.

We love all things Disney, well I say we, I love all things Disney and DH suffers it We’ve been to Orlando a few times and know what we are doing over there. But, of course this trip is not about Orlando and as we haven’t ventured over to France or DLP as a family I have been trying to scour the DLP planning threads on the Dibb for hints and tips. There have been lots of nuggets of information and I’m grateful for all the advice that has been shared.

I have been to DLP back when it was called EuroDisney. That was 19 years ago and we only had 1 day there. My grandmother had arranged a weekend away for everyone to Paris to celebrate her 80th birthday so we had a couple of nights in a hotel. We had a day in Paris visiting the Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe and Sacre Coeur. We had a day in Disneyland park and then on the final day we went to Monet's garden. There were about 25 of us on that trip. It was great fun, but my memory of the Disney part of the trip is not great.

So, who is going on this trip?

Well, that’s just me and Kate, kind of a giveaway in the title of the trip report really wasn’t there?

This is both of us on day 1 of our last trip, we're on the bus travelling to MK.

We have never had a trip all by ourselves before and I’m really excited to have a holiday with just the two of us.

Kate is 11 and started secondary school in September last year. We both love WDW and could reel off multiple facts about the most magical place on earth. Yes, we know what EPCOT actually stands for .

Our favourite ride is Splash Mountain.

Kate has recently changed her mind and decided her favourite park is Animal Kingdom, mine is still Magic Kingdom.

We love all the rides, thrill rides, family rides, you name it we love it. Well, Kate isn’t overly keen on the Tiki Room or triceratops spin at AK as apparently this is just a rip off of Dumbo, which I guess it is.

We love meeting the characters. Kate always gets an autograph book and last summer I think I was just as excited as she was that she managed to fill it up (ok I may have even been more excited than she was).

We love the shows, the parades and the fireworks.

Why DLP? Why just the two of us?

Well, the answer to that question can be answered very simply or I can do my usual rambling answer and set the scene

The short answer is I love Disney Holidays

The long answer is how I rationalised the holiday to myself…

When my DS (Max) was in year 7 they had a big school trip where most of the year group went to France for the last week of term in July. It was a great trip, he went to a snail farm and ate snail pate, he went to an outdoor activity centre and did canoeing and other fun activities and they also had a one day trip to DLP. Within 4 days of returning from his school trip he was on a plane with all of us heading out to WDW (the lucky thing!).

Kate is now in year 7 in the same school as Max and this year the end of year 7 trip is...

wait for it...

it's a cracker...

a camping trip

Even better, she gets to camp about a mile from our house!

Now, Max found this hilarious, I have to say it’s not quite in the same league as a week in France and I did feel a bit sorry for her.

To add insult to injury, Max who is now in year 10 is going on a school ski-ing trip in February half term (he leaves on Friday).

Poor Kate Not only does she NOT get to go to DLP, her brother gets to go ski-ing! Well, that was about as much incentive I needed to start thinking that a girls only trip would be fully justified, of course I’m doing this all for Kate and not for me at all!

So, the idea was born and while DH tolerates (and I would like to think enjoys) our summer trips to WDW I don’t think he is that keen on the idea of Paris in the cold/wet of February, so it seemed like a girls only trip would be the best idea.

Let’s get down to logistics of the trip.

When are we going? Where are we staying?

We leave on Sunday 17th February, in 4 days we will be there

We are catching the Eurostar from Ebbsfleet, it’s an indirect train via Lille. We arrive in DLP in the afternoon on Sunday and will check in to Hotel Cheyenne.

We have four nights and check out on Thursday 21st February.

I have watched loads of you tube vlogs about the Hotel Cheyenne and I am really excited to see the themeing and the rooms.

When I booked the trip the standard full board meal plan was ‘free’ as part of the package. From my research and the helpful threads on here I’ve discovered that the breakfast will be a QS voucher (perhaps that's not quite the right lingo). I've learned we should go to NY Style Sandwiches in the Disney Village and get the breakfast from there before heading into the parks for the EMH (thanks Gill H, the tip to avoid Hyperion has been noted ).

I know that we have ‘credits’ (do they call them credits in DLP?) for the buffet meals, but it would seem it's not the posh places! So, I’ve booked up some lunch and dinner slots for the Plaza, Restaurant des Stars, La Grange, Chuck Wagon. I'm getting that this will not be fine dining and is hardly gourmet food, but I’m sure we will be fine. I know people don’t really rate the food at DLP, but as neither of us are particularly fussy I’m sure we will find something to fill us up at the buffets.

We are usually good at getting up and out early for EMH at WDW and I expect we will make the most of this at DLP too. It is always great to go into a park and get some rides done without a long wait. I know there are some we need to head straight for (Crush) as it doesn't have the option for a FP. I'm trying to get a good plan together for those mornings.

I’m also really excited to compare some of the rides that are at DLP which we know and love from WDW. I’m looking forward to seeing which BTMR we think is best, whether we prefer ToT at DLP or WDW.

Either way I'm sure I will still end up being scared and pulling a funny face

I'm even worse on RnR!

Of course I’m also keen to try the rides that we haven’t experienced like Crush’s Coaster and Ratatouile.

It’s weird to go into the holiday without having FPs booked up and we will have to get used to the paper fast pass. I’m sure we will pick it all up fine!

I’ve also started wondering about how we will cope with the shows being in French. My French is nowhere near as good as it used to be. Do they do the shows in English? I’m sure this will be clear on the map and times guides. I also read a tip about booking up a show if you've got a Mastercard. Well, I've got the Halifax Clarity Card which is a Mastercard so I'll try and figure that out too.

I’m hopeful it won’t be too cold or too wet. I suppose the cold we can deal with, but if it’s very rainy then that won’t be so much fun. I have started my packing and a brollie is included! This is not our usual packing list for Florida. I’ve been looking ahead to the weather next week and it looks like it should be pretty good as there isn’t much rain forecast at the moment.

Packing

At the weekend we got the cases out so that we could help Max with his packing for the ski trip and more importantly so that we could start our packing.

I don’t want to take large cases as it will be us that has to carry them, plus it’s only 4 days so we should be able to get by with 2 carry on cases.

Well, little did I know that Kate planned on taking her Figment pillow pet that she got from Epcot last summer. Really?

What on earth was she thinking?

This is Kate proudly holding Figment last summer - he filled the whole bag.

I'm told he's just too comfy to leave behind...

He takes up an inordinate amount of space in the case and doesn’t really leave much room for the actual clothes and toiletries we will need But as I didn’t want to have an argument about it he is coming.

My current plan is to suggest that smaller cuddly toys may be better as they would allow for more space for souvenirs We shall see who wins this battle, but I don’t think the odds are in my favour.

Well, I hope you enjoyed finding out all about our trip. We sure are excited and I cannot wait to share the trip with you all.

Oh, and if you have any tips about DLP or advice on how I can convince Kate she can live without Figment then I would love to hear your thoughts.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 19, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
HappyPanda
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Have an amazing time!
HappyPanda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 19, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Have a great trip, hope the weather stays good for you. I would love a girls only trip!
Old 13 Feb 19, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
clochette
Apprentice Imagineer

Have a great trip. I love DLP and have done several trips there with DDs and with my DSis. I have done one with just DD2 and me because DD1 went with her friends for her 18th and we couldn't have her getting an extra trip (Just the two of us at DLP). That was an October trip so the weather wasn't too bad but most of our trips have been in February. We went last February half term (Another trip to DLP - oh go on then! Shameless plugs for trippies - sorry!)The biggest piece of advice I can give you is to pack lots of layers as it can be bitterly cold.. Make use of EMH and go to Crush in the Studios first. The MasterCard thing is new since we went, but you have got to see Mickey and the Magician, even if you have to queue for it (and I don't say that about many things - I don't like to queue!) But it is worth the admission price on its own. Make sure you go in Alice's Curious Labyrinth - if you climb the Queen of Hearts tower, you get a really good view of Fantasyland. Other things not to be missed are Sleeping Beauty's gallery, as the stained glass windows are beautiful and the Dragon under the castle.

Sorry, I seem to have gone on a bit but I love DLP. I am very sad that we are not visiting this year but DD2 and I are off to WDW in July, so I can't complain.
clochette is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 19, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
eleele
Very Serious Dibber

Ahhhh, girls trip! Sound amazing, have lots of fun!
eleele is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 19, 11:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Eccle
Imagineer

It sounds a great trip! Don’t worry about the language, from my memory they do some shows in English and some in French, and it’s all listed on the times guide
Eccle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 19, 11:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Animagus
Imagineer

Sounds lovely. Fingers crossed for the weather. Have a fantastic time.
Animagus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 19, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

So excited for you both, have an amazing trip xx
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 19, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Unexpectedpenny
Imagineer

Sounds like a wonderful trip! Have a lovely time
Unexpectedpenny is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 19, 12:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Dimple
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Ah this is only days away, i haven't dibbed in so long i need to catch up on your summer TR! Hope you have a fantastic trip! EPCOT- Every Paycheck Comes On Thursday- right?!
Dimple is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List