Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 Feb 21, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Firekat
VIP Dibber

Also Thanks for helping the poor cat out, how exciting to be getting 2 kitties!
Firekat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 21, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I have had cats for the majority of my life. My current cat now always goes outside so we don’t have a litter tray, but when I have one I get one with a lid but usually take the door flap off. I have at times used wood pellets and other times Catsan or something similar, I don’t have a preference between the two, but I don’t like the clay litters.

Not sure if you have a dog now, but when I had a litter tray in the house and my dog was young, he used to try and eat cat poo.

I have used different cat foods at different times. We used to always go to the pet store for Royal Canin or James Wellbeloved. But we started picking up food from the supermarket and so for the last few years my cat has been eating Iams, he is now on Iams senior. He also has a Sheba wet food pouch once a day.

I would definitely get a scratching post for an indoor cat. We don’t currently have one as he sharpens his claws outside most of the time, but occasionally he will scratch at the carpet.

I have never had a cat that is particularly bothered about a basket. My current cat will occasionally get into the dog bed, but mainly he finds a warm spot on the floor, he currently has about five favourite spots dotted around the house and he will be in one of them right now as he doesn’t go out much when it is cold.
No dogs anymore, our spaniels loved to eat cat poo in my mums garden 🤢
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 21, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

I’m keeping the mum and one of her babies.

3 of the babies are going between my mum and sister.

That’s if she has that many. If she only had 2 I would almost definitely take mum and both babies.

She’s so sweet I cannot understand how she’s a stray.
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 21, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Moocat21
Earning More Ears

congratulations on your new fur babies

you sound so excited
i have had cats for over 20 years,
enjoy them as they provide hours of endless entertainment!

you will need 1 cat tray per cat + 1 placed in different area as some cats guard the tray so the other can not use it
covered or open as you decide

litter - my current cat likes the wood pellets my older cat liked the red grit one from pets at home. the wood one is fairly cheap at £7.00 for 30 litres and they can deliver.
i change the whole tray on Mondays, Wednesday and Friday and scoop the pop in between as it can pong a bit. i only put 2 jugs of litter into the pan as for my cat this is enough.

food - wet or dry/or mix of both. dry can be total such as royal cainin or hills science plan etc. your vet can advise on what is best. i feed a breakfast and supper wet with dry for snacks in between which she is happy with.

bowls - i use ordinary bowls that i bought from £land as they were pink and just the right size. my cat does not like metal bowls. i set them on a tray as she is a messy eater and its easier to clean the feeding station that way.

water - cats are not good drinkers they need fresh water each day you could go and get a water fountain if that is what they will use. if you are using wet food, water it down with a table spoon or 2 of warm water as they will drink the "gravy".

toys - your kitten will need lots of toys etc enjoy yourself there

scatchers - cat nails are always growing and they will scratch to help them shed. a vertical cat scratcher or a mat, this will depend on your cat. mine likes the mat - i have a coir mat that she uses.

beds - tricky i have beds, blankets etc and my cat likes to sleep on my dressing gown. cats are hunters so will "rotate" their sleepy spots like they would do in the wild

zoomy times - cats are more active in the evening and early morning as in the wild this would be hunting times - enjoy

window sills - don't have anything there as soon as they jump up its gone.

vet - i use vets for pets as they do a scheme for vaccinations/chipping and visits you will need to have them checked at least once a year for vaccinations/teeth check/flee+ worms etc.

indoors v outdoors - i live on very busy road and cats in my area have gone missing, my cat is a house cat and is quite happy watching the world and the pigeons go by on the empty window sill/bed/chair. you will need to decide if where you live is safe and you are happy for them to go out. Mama cat will need to stay inside for 6 to 8 weeks anyway and the kitten till they are 9 to 1 year old i am over careful with my cats, they cost a lot.

you are very lucky to have been visited by the mama cat - remember the cat chooses the owner
2023 4th time not looking likely either

Edited at 02:52 PM.
Moocat21 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 21, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Mpet
Very Serious Dibber

It depends whether you are intending for them to be indoor or outdoor cats. If they are going to be outdoor cats, then you will only need litter for the kitten until it is old enough to go out and for Mum while you keep her indoors until she is familiar with her surroundings.

We preferred Catsan for litter - as it seemed to keep the smell down!

We never had cat scratchers as I always thought it encouraged indoor scratching (different if it is an indoor cat obviously). Our cat scratches outside on our pear tree and the top of the fence.

Food - it will be trial and error - out cat likes Felix Doubly Delicious and not much else! He also has Royal Canin Biscuits.

Beds - I wouldn't spend loads, our cat is currently sleeping in a cardboard box from Amazon - totally ignoring the comfy cat bed. He also likes sleeping on carrier bags.
Mpet is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 21, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Biggest tip is to sign up to Zooplus. You will save a fortune and all your heavy stuff (cat litter) will be delivered!

I use the Catsan litter that comes in a sort of tray liner. Absolute life saver!
Old 12 Feb 21, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Do you have a link to that tray liner aspect?
Princess Alison is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 21, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I do indeed! I’ll try and attach below. They’re really good, and so much easier for cleanup.

I have to be careful with my cat litter, one of my cats has wonky feet, and if the litter is too fine or powdery, it gets under the skin of his nails and gets infected. Touch wood, no problems with this one so far.

It’s cheapest by a mile on Zooplus, and you can get quidco cashback too

Xx

Edited at 09:10 PM.
Gill635 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 21, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

This looks very intriguing - thank you! I'll investigate 😆
Princess Alison is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 21, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
I have 4 cats and use catsan litter and they eat applaws complete mainly with some natures menu sachets. I have several scratching posts but they still love to use the carpet at the bottom of the stairs sometimes!
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.

Edited at 07:47 AM.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List