Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Sep 18, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Misophonia

Anyone else suffer?
Mine's not too bad in normal life, but recently I flipped at work because the person next to me's chair squeaked every time they moved and they refused to change their chair. Apparently they didn't have to because "it didn't bother them", and started doing it all the more because he knew it annoyed me.
After me leaving and not going back in for a couple of days, choosing to work from home, on my return a new chair was there.

Now the person who sits behind me eats an apple every morning, with the WORST slurping noises I've ever heard.
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by grant_w View Post
Anyone else suffer?
Mine's not too bad in normal life, but recently I flipped at work because the person next to me's chair squeaked every time they moved and they refused to change their chair. Apparently they didn't have to because "it didn't bother them", and started doing it all the more because he knew it annoyed me.
After me leaving and not going back in for a couple of days, choosing to work from home, on my return a new chair was there.

Now the person who sits behind me eats an apple every morning, with the WORST slurping noises I've ever heard.
Yes.
We have a squeaking floorboard - I avoid it - every time - I never step on it ever. Everybody else does. It triggers an emotional "arghhhhh" every time. Anticipation of it is worse...

This probably sounds completely daft - but next door has some wind-chimes. I cannot hear the wind-chimes. Just knowing they are there sets off my misophonia response.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Eeyore rocks
VIP Dibber

Eeyore rocks's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Is it noises that seem to be magnified? If so yes! I really want to punch my husband in the face when he eats certain things! 🙄

Orlando..Feb 1998, Jun 2003, Nov 2004, Dec 2008, Nov 2009, Aug 2010, Nov 2010, Sep 2011, Nov 2012, Nov 2013, Oct 2014, Sept 2015, Nov 2015, Sept 16, Jan 2017, Nov 2017, Jan 2018, June 2018, Dec 2018, June 2019, Dec 2019, Feb 2022, May 2023, Oct 2024.

Las Vegas..Dec 1998, Jan 2002, Jan 2004, Jan 2005, May 2006, Mar 2009, Apr 2011, Jan 2012, Aug 2012, Jan 2013, Feb 2014, Feb 2015 Feb 2016, Nov 2016.

New York...Nov 2018, Dec 2021.
Eeyore rocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Wow, I have never heard of this, but after googling I for sure have it to some degree. The sound of other people eating makes me feel sick. When DH sniffs continuously I want to punch him in the face. When I worked in an office, we had a printer than went Click CLICK CLICK all the time. It drove me absolutely insane and I spent half my day turning it off, the other lady spent all day turning it back on. The noise didn't bother her at all. Thank god I work from home now as I couldn't handle it for much longer.
I cannot sleep with a ticking clock in the room or any type of regular noise. Fidgeting and jiggling drives me mad- again another thing hubby does. Just sit still and be quiet already! (love you really... )

Edited at 02:56 PM.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
I only found out about it when we had the 'chair' incident at work, it kinda explains me getting would up by the silliest of things (compared to other people)

Recently there was an insect making a noise in a big hall we were in, people could hear it but couldn't see it, one of them said "Quick find it and catch it before Grant hears it as it will really annoy him". I was so pleased they understood and didn't just think i was a miserable sod like most people do
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by grant_w View Post
Recently there was an insect making a noise in a big hall we were in, people could hear it but couldn't see it, one of them said "Quick find it and catch it before Grant hears it as it will really annoy him". I was so pleased they understood and didn't just think i was a miserable sod like most people do
Hubby definitely thinks I am just highly strung. I just told him about this condition and he just rolled his eyes at me.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
Wow, I have never heard of this, but after googling I for sure have it to some degree. The sound of other people eating makes me feel sick. When DH sniffs continuously I want to punch him in the face. When I worked in an office, we had a printer than went Click CLICK CLICK all the time. It drove me absolutely insane and I spent half my day turning it off, the other lady spent all day turning it back on. The noise didn't bother her at all. Thank god I work from home now as I couldn't handle it for much longer.
I cannot sleep with a ticking clock in the room or any type of regular noise. Fidgeting and jiggling drives me mad- again another thing hubby does. Just sit still and be quiet already! (love you really... )
I am also insanely irritated by jiggling - especially of feet - especially when wearing brightly toed socks! Or even the sound of a socked foot rubbing against our wooden coffee table puts my teeth on edge.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
dmurrayuk
Getting Excited

Yup, I have a few different triggers including the classic 'noisy eaters', but whistling is the biggest trigger for me.

I'm so lucky to have really great colleagues though. In my department 4 out of my 5 co-workers were whistlers, they honestly didn't even realise they were doing it most of the time. After finding out about my misophonia though they have all made a really genuine effort to stop. Occasionally someone will forget and whistle a couple of bars, and then they suddenly remember (or feel my burning glare on them) and apologise!

I do feel bad about it tbh, like I'm spoiling their fun or something, but I honestly could not cope with hearing that every day. As soon as someone starts it's like a switch has been flipped, and every muscle in my body goes tense as a burning rage builds inside

I'm so glad this is actually a recognised disorder now, even if a lot of people still don't get how genuinely debilitating it can be. It's not just about being slightly annoyed and grossed out by someone chewing with their mouth open (because seriously, that's disgusting and everyone should be horrified by it), it's a whole body reaction. It's instant blinding fury and hatred, and your body kicking into immediate 'fight or flight' mode. It's awful, and trying to explain it to people usually makes you sound more than a little unhinged!

So I will remain grateful for my now whistle-free colleagues...and quite possibly never change jobs just in case I'm not so lucky again
dmurrayuk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Yes I have a few! Once I have “heard” the noise it becomes amplified and become irrational 😡
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Ellelledee
Imagineer

Mobile

I’m pretty sure I do. I googled a while back n saw re people chewing and thought “that’s not really a thing it’s just annoying” but then I read more and it’s different stuff and yes I do BADLY. In fact I flipped out at someone at work this morning! I could hear this solid thud every so often and a few in the team were laughing then I suddenly realised it was one of them doing it (they mess about a lot). Basically he had found what seemed to be a ball of elastics and he kept randomly bouncing it on the floor trying - it was the managers ball and he wanted her to realise he had it. Usually for me what really gets me is noises going on elsewhere I think maybe that I can’t see the source. So like if I am sat in my house and my neighbour starts banging or drilling or something it winds me up. It’s the on going noise I can’t see. Also one of my big things is cars running outside. Sometimes I’ll be sitting on my bed watching tv and I hear a car outside and I have to get up and see what it’s doing but then if it goes on I can’t conventrate on the tv it just really bugs me the noise just takes over!
Ellelledee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List