Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 9 Jun 20, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Rae21
Excited about Disney

Tokyo Holiday 2021

Anyone thinking of going next year to Japan?
Hoping to do Tokyo Disney/Disneysea, Tokyo and Osaka (USJ) Kyoto.
Just trying to work out best time to go and number of days needed for each part. Have flight money already stashed away in my holiday account, due to cancelling this years trip.
Going to avoid July/August due to Olympics, so thinking end April or May or end of year some time after September - decisions, decisions...
Rae21 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 20, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rae21 View Post
Anyone thinking of going next year to Japan?
Hoping to do Tokyo Disney/Disneysea, Tokyo and Osaka (USJ) Kyoto.
Just trying to work out best time to go and number of days needed for each part. Have flight money already stashed away in my holiday account, due to cancelling this years trip.
Going to avoid July/August due to Olympics, so thinking end April or May or end of year some time after September - decisions, decisions...
We went last year in May (the week after Golden week when all of Japan is on holiday apparently). We had great weather and had booked to go again this year at the same time (cancelled of course).

We are not committing ourselves to booking anything just now but are thinking of early May again next year.. We loved it and want to go back!

We decided on just one day at DisneySea only as we wanted to see Japan so can’t help you with the theme parks. DisneySea was great though.

Edited at 04:36 PM.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 20, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

I too was there in May last year and I too had great weather :-)

Possibly going back next year, in May :-)

We did a day at each of the parks - we did not go into every shop or do every ride, but it was fine for what we wanted
AntonyJ is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 20, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Rae21
Excited about Disney

Thanks guys 😊 I’m tempted for May (should have gone 22nd this year).
What are your thoughts on travelling to Osaka/Kyoto on arrival date for a couple of days then travelling back up to Tokyo and finishing off the holiday at a Disney area hotel for a couple of nights or would this be too much travelling especially on arrival day.
Rae21 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 20, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

We did a day trip to Kyoto on the bullet train and is was perfect for us.

It is a long flight - jet lag might be a killer and not sure I would want to travel as soon as you arrive.
AntonyJ is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 20, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

I personally wouldn’t like to do it. Even if you arrive before lunchtime you then have to get through customs etc. then if you have bought a Japanese rail pass then you have to get that voucher changed to the rail pass then reserve your seats for the bullet train. After arriving in Kyoto or Osaka you will then have to find your way out of the station (no mean feat in Kyoto!) and get to your hotel.

I would be exhausted but it’s perfectly doable. I can’t sleep on a plane much and by the time I arrive I don’t know what day of the week it is after long haul flights. I suppose also it depends where you live in the UK. We had an internal flight from Edinburgh to Heathrow thrown into the mix. If you are flying direct it would not be so bad.

You could fly into Osaka and fly home from Tokyo but I don’t know if that bumps up the price.

Edited at 08:47 PM.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 20, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Rae21
Excited about Disney

Yeah the jet lag was a worry. Think I’ll take the day trip to Kyoto instead from Tokyo or maybe an overnight stay if needed.
Old 9 Jun 20, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Laughing Minnie
Excited about Disney

Mobile

We went to Japan in December. We flew into Osaka and had 4 nights in Kyoto then 4 nights in Tokyo and flew out of Tokyo. We found the flights (ba) to be quite cheap when we booked a hotel for part of it as well. It was really easy to get from Osaka to Kyoto, but we were a bit tired on the first day with the jet lag.
Laughing Minnie is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 20, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Olympiad
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

We are booked to go this year in August (just waiting for the inevitable cancellation from BA) due to arrive just after the Olympics ends (decent deals on hotels as I guess demand falls off as soon as the games end).

We'll reschedule for the same time next year. We are splitting our time between Tokyo and Kyoto and making day trips out by train e.g Kyoto to Osaka is only 20 minutes. Not planning on doing any of the Disney parks but will likely go to Universal especially as the Nintendo world will be open.

We're planning on getting the JR Rail pass which from this month you can now buy online (still need to pick it up in Japan) and you can make all your train reservations before you arrive.
Olympiad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 20, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

We have flights booked for November although nothing else. A second wave would mean we would postpone.

We plan to spend 5 days in Tokyo (including day trip to Hakone/Fuji and maybe half day at Studio Ghibli museum) and 4 days at Disney.

We regularly spend 4 days at DLP and it isn’t too long.

Other places will have to wait for another trip.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List