Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Jan 19, 12:34 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

My cousin had to go to court as he didn't surrender his licence within the specified time period.

His fine was £1000 And 6 points I do believe.

He should have had insurance.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 19, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
I feel your pain. We (note the 'we' in that sentence) forgot our MOT last year and we drive the car for about 32 days without one.

Panic when we realised and cue a large argument as I never drive the car (I work from home) but I do seem to arrange everything to do with the house. He ate humble pie very quickly and the car got MOT'd the very next day - phew.

These things happen. I have now set up a reminder in my phone 2 weeks beforehand and also registered for an MOT reminder through the gov.uk website.

Joa
Old 16 Jan 19, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
jemima2
Imagineer

Powlay - yes he did accept everything. He still got a court date. We had no choice or option. The judge gave him the penalty and the points at that time. And as I said, we learnt our lesson, we never made excuses or tried to get out of it.

Can I just add that originally I was posting in support of op that this sort of thing happens to other people. Increasingly I am finding the dibb a tricky place to post and it has put me off numerous times. Always someone seems to be there to make you feel worse!

Edited at 01:57 AM.
jemima2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 19, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Listen I'm always looking on the brightside.

The police caught you and it was £300 imagine if you ran into the back of another car while uninsured and caused not only material but phyiscal damage to a person. The costs and the court case fees would be many times higher than this fine.

At least now you know and can get insurance.

I had the same thing with my Belgian MOT. I waited for the notice but it didn't come and I forgot for a WHOLE year. Luckily I wasn't stopped so I only had to pay a €50 late fee when I presented the car. But if I had had an accident the insurance wouldn't have paid out.

Edited at 08:51 PM.
jas72 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 19, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Powlay View Post
When people dealing with it were saying it was harsh they may just have been pandering to you rather than being truthful.

Its not harsh at all.

If you're driving without insurance then you're a risk to yourself and every other road user.

Them closing at 12 noon and not telling you, yeah thats harsh!

How come you went to court? Did you not accept the fixed penalty?
I agree. If it'd been me I'd have got there as soon as they opened!
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 19, 01:49 AM  
Link to this Post
jemima2
Imagineer

Andy bear - we could not be there as soon as it opened as I was working an early shift, with three young children no other way for my husband to get there as it was 25 miles away. Ideal to get there ASAP but unfortunately things are not always as simple as we would like! Thanks for input though.

Edited at 01:53 AM.
jemima2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 19, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jemima2 View Post
Andy bear - we could not be there as soon as it opened as I was working an early shift, with three young children no other way for my husband to get there as it was 25 miles away. Ideal to get there ASAP but unfortunately things are not always as simple as we would like! Thanks for input though.
Sorry, I didn't know that. If I had, I wouldn't have said anything.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List