TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I recently graduated from couch to 5k just before Christmas and have so far managed 4 x 30 minute consolidation runs. I kept going on one of them and got to 5k in just under 35 minutes.

I was away over Christmas and hadn't run for more than a week so I was convinced that, with all the excess and lack of exercise, I'd almost be back to square one. I headed to the gym yesterday and managed a full 30 minutes at my usual pace so my plan for now is to continue 3 runs a week. For the middle one I'll work on distance and get to 5k each time and for the other two I'll work on speed. I'll also head outside and do some park runs plus I'm going to the Castaway Cay 5k in the summer.

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 18, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

Hi

My goal is to start running so that I can do the Star Wars 5K in April

I'm hoping that I will be able to finish it and that I haven't been overambitious in registering myself and my husband for it - it seemed like a good idea at the time and I though it would give us a target to aim for.
mrsdjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 18, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mrsdjh View Post
Hi

I'm hoping that I will be able to finish it and that I haven't been overambitious in registering myself and my husband for it - it seemed like a good idea at the time and I though it would give us a target to aim for.
That is totally doable! I got back to running after entering the 5k Fall Feast at the Wine and Dine weekend last year. It was a great atmosphere and a really relaxed event, and the medal was awesome!

Couch 2 5k is a really good programme. I actually joined a class offering the course which was the best thing I’ve done as it fed into an all-abilities social running group when we finished. My husband joined too and we run with them twice a week, regularly see them socially, and we went to the Great Manchester Run with some of the group this year. In 2019 we’re off to the Edinburgh Marathon Festival with them too.

Don’t forget to start off with some decent trainers, or you’ll hurt your feet and be put off running for life. I go to the local running shop for gait analysis before I buy new shoes - one time I didn’t as I bought some pretty shoes at Cheshire oaks and thought they’d be fine, but they crippled my feet, gave me pains in my legs etc. After 3 runs they went on eBay and I went to the running shop.
Old 31 Dec 18, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
That is totally doable! I got back to running after entering the 5k Fall Feast at the Wine and Dine weekend last year. It was a great atmosphere and a really relaxed event, and the medal was awesome!

Couch 2 5k is a really good programme. I actually joined a class offering the course which was the best thing I’ve done as it fed into an all-abilities social running group when we finished. My husband joined too and we run with them twice a week, regularly see them socially, and we went to the Great Manchester Run with some of the group this year. In 2019 we’re off to the Edinburgh Marathon Festival with them too.

Don’t forget to start off with some decent trainers, or you’ll hurt your feet and be put off running for life. I go to the local running shop for gait analysis before I buy new shoes - one time I didn’t as I bought some pretty shoes at Cheshire oaks and thought they’d be fine, but they crippled my feet, gave me pains in my legs etc. After 3 runs they went on eBay and I went to the running shop.

Thanks for the encouragement. I have been looking at the Couch 2 5K stuff yesterday, but maybe a group may be better so I'll look into that. Trainers is on my list for the weekend so I'll definitely go to a running shop.

No doubt I'll have lots of questions along the way for you all!
mrsdjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 19, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

What are everyone's running goals for 2019? And is anyone else doing RED January?
2018 was a bit of a dismal year running wise for me and the longest run I did was 10km (compared to 2017 where I did half marathons).

My running goal for 2019 is to run 365 km over the course of the year. And if possible build up to a half marathon again (I'm eyeing Wine and Dine challenge though this is going to be dependent on whether I can get annual leave for it).

Originally Posted by mrsdjh View Post
Hi

It's definitely a realistic target, you have a few months to build up to that!

You could also try doing a run-walk-run to build up to 5k? When I first started running longer distances I'd run as far as I could, then walk the remainder to make up the distance I wanted to run but couldn't - then slowly build up the distance I can run at one go...
Old 1 Jan 19, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
...Couch 2 5k is a really good programme. I actually joined a class offering the course which was the best thing I’ve done as it fed into an all-abilities social running group when we finished. ...
Totally agree with the Couch 2 5k I started it at the end of September having never run before and graduated just before Christmas. It worked for me because it's structured to get you motivated and sets lots of little mini goals. I struggled to manage 60 seconds in week 1, I'm just back from the gym where I did my 2nd 5k in just over 34 minutes.

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 19, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
minnie1981
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Following with interest 😁

HOLIDAY INN 2007
GRANDE VILLAS LBV 2011, 2013, 2016, 2019
WINDSOR HILLS 2018
ROSEN INN POINTE MARCH, OCT 2023
minnie1981 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 19, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Fillmore10
Proud to wear my Ears

Hi Jockey, belated happy new year to you and all running dibbers. My plans are still the Liverpool marathon (which I’ve now signed up to) so see you there all being well! On the build up I have a 10 miler booked in April and will choose a half early May. Have a club cross country Saturday and am on 10 miles endurance wise at the moment. Change of job and then mom having an accident mid Nov changed my running pattern and have had to be more inventive to get runs in, but stuck at it as it’s helped my sanity take care out there
Fillmore10 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 12:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

Did anyone take part in any of the WDW Marathon events this weekend?
If so I hope you all got around safely
Have felt really jealous seeing some of the photos on FB
Looking forward to any updates
Talland 2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 19, 12:25 AM  
Link to this Post
dual_dragons
Trading Disney Pins

Mobile

Hi, i did the Dopey challenge this past weekend.
Was great as always, a bit chilly the first couple of days standing around for an hour in the corrals.
Marathon was 16c at the start i think, which was managable until the sun came up and got a bit too warm.

Joel
dual_dragons is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List